Gaah! I need motivation....

Started by Twisted Minstrel, October 05, 2007, 06:54:34 PM

I needs help! Knowing the end's going to come soon (I think....) I just can't get into a character for fear that as soon as I become attached, -Bam- the world goes up in flames. D: What would you do in this situation?

Play something fun anyway and to hell with the end of the world. And maybe, your character will be the catalyst that blows the whole planet up. Or, he'll be the guy who keeps that one section from being destroyed, thus providing the opening for v.2 to roll out.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Wait, let me get this straight, you're afraid to become attached to a character because you don't then want to experience the end of the known world with this character?  Am I missing something?  What better way to go out with a much-loved character?  

I fought through Armageddon's Armageddon and all I got was this stupid mantis head.   :D
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Jeeze.... You just flipped my armaddict switch back 'on', wtf was I thinking?  :oops:

The "end of the world" announcement was first made 11 months ago. At the time, a lot of people freaked out, saying, "but now I can't play, ack, this character of mine won't last!"

But come on, really, how many characters last even CLOSE to that long, regardless of the end of the world? I certainly am not playing the same character I was playing at the time. Or the character after that. Or the character after THAT.

Put aside assumptions/fears about when the world will end and just play your character's life.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Personally, I wouldn't play Arm if it weren't for the fact that every moment of it was fun.  I mean, if I had to work to a point to make it fun, that would make it work.  That I don't get paid for.  Screw that.

As far as losing a beloved character goes, I can't say I really sympathize.  This is a story, and stories end.  I may not be happy about it once the time comes, but then there's a lot of things that make me unhappy.  Generally, I get over myself within three hours and look back on what was good about the experience as a whole.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"The "end of the world" announcement was first made 11 months ago. At the time, a lot of people freaked out, saying, "but now I can't play, ack, this character of mine won't last!"

But come on, really, how many characters last even CLOSE to that long, regardless of the end of the world?

Oh man, I was doing so good with that.  I had the same character from July 2006 to September 2007 -- a personal record!  Of course she only had about 2 days play time when I accidentally killed her with a typo.   :(   But still, keeping her alive for 14 months was pretty cool, even if I had to barely play at all to do it.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Armageddon isn't going to close down for another 5 years.

You can mark my words.

*shakes fist*

:edit: changed from 2 to 5 years.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Lizzie"Play something fun anyway and to hell with the end of the world. And maybe, your character will be the catalyst that blows the whole planet up. Or, he'll be the guy who keeps that one section from being destroyed, thus providing the opening for v.2 to roll out.

This mentality I believe leads to the powergaming we all fear.

I suggest you simply forget the world is going to end. Its taking so damn long anyways, that it could be months before it happens, and your character could live a perfectly natural, mundane life before the end even comes.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Pretend there was no announcement.

Uh, Reiloth, that's what I said.

Play something fun anyway and to hell with the end of the world.

Meaning - play whatever you WANT to play, and take your attention off the whole "end of the world" thing.

Meaning - stop worrying about the end of the world. And play what you want to play.

Meaning - if you play what you want to play, and not worry about the end of the world, you could end up having a whole lot of fun AND by sheer circumstance end up being a part of the end of the world when it happens.

Which is a whole lot more fun than planning for the end of the world, which may or may not occur within a reasonable timeframe of the average PC's existence.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Meh. Glad we agree, Lizzie.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I just hope I'm online for the End Of The World.  Missing it would just suck.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Hah! Same here. I'll probably be at work.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.