contact bug

Started by daedroug, September 29, 2007, 11:13:35 PM

Ok this kept worrying the shit out of me so I'm gonna share this bug here so other people don't too until it gets fixed.
Simply when you lose your contact with someone it for some reason is sending 'You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.' instead of whatever the message used to be.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Accidental repost
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: "daedroug"Simply when you lose your contact with someone it for some reason is sending 'You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.' instead of whatever the message used to be.

That is not really a bug, I think.  There are two kinds of messages I have seen associated with this kind of incidence.  Randomly you get one or the other.  And I tend to think these messages are there for a reason.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I don't think you quite understood.

When you are forcibly withdrawn from some ones mind through such things as them logging out it was saying 'You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind'. Which -absolutely- makes no sense to the situation since it's not some one withdrawing from your mind it's you dropping out of someone else's mind.
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

Quote from: "daedroug"I don't think you quite understood.

When you are forcibly withdrawn from some ones mind through such things as them logging out or going to sleep it was saying 'You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind'. Which -absolutely- makes no sense to the situation since it's not some one withdrawing from your mind it's you dropping out of someone else's mind.

How do you know someone's not in your head at the time?

Are you saying:

Player A contacts Player B
Player A logs out.
Player A gets, "You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind." as the final echo from the game, before the Mantis?

And this does not happen:
Player B contacts Player A
Player A logs out.
Player A gets, "You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind." as the final echo from the game, before the Mantis.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

No no It's like this:

Player B Logs out.
Player A gets "You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind" and can subsequently no longer send messages because it says "Your not in contact with anyone"
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

Have you tested this?  I've seen another message about my mind withdrawing if I'm in contact with someone.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I haven't tested under controlled environment but it has happened to me several times where i'm contacted with them I get "You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind" and then with no further message I'm not in contact with them anymore.
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

This has happened to me several times.  It used to be something else but then it changed to that.  I haven't tested recently though.

I've just reviewed the code on this.  The only time you receive the 'You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind' message is when someone was in contact with you and for whatever reason they drop that contact.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I'll go try it out later when I have time to log on.

I once received two messages when someone logged out which I thought odd at the time, but it was because I was in contact with them, and they were in contact with me.
It was something like:
You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.
Your presence is withdrawn from the foreign mind.

Anyways I don't remember getting the two echos at once before, but then most people break contact before they log off.
Vettrock

After talking to the other coders, apparently there was a bug in the code, some pointers were flipped.  It has been fixed and was rebooted in with the crash last night.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

w00t.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Morgenes"After talking to the other coders, apparently there was a bug in the code, some pointers were flipped.  It has been fixed and was rebooted in with the crash last night.
Thank goodness now I can get back to really being worried when I see that instead of thinking it's a bug :P
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams