Bizarre Text Editor Problem

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, September 22, 2007, 03:33:21 PM

I've grappled with the text editors since my days of newbdom, and it irks me still to this day.
Here is what I see when I enter the text editor (adding a bio page in this instance):
>Write your biography entry.  Remember to SAVE afterward.
Text Editor: (16384 character maximum) [create mode]
Type .h on a new line for help.  Terminate with 'K' or .q on a new line.
[---|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----]

It's that "Terminate with 'K'" thing that gets me, because it basically means I can't use a capital 'K' anywhere in the text without the text editor dumping me! This problem started when I began using SimpleMU, many years ago... could SimpleMU be doing this?
Now I'm at a point where I really, really, really need to include Ks in my biography entries. Does anyone know how to fix this? How did it get set to this?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Odd. I use SimpleMU myself, and the text editor message I get is still 'terminate with ~ or .q' just like normal.

A temporary solution might be to write up your bios in Notepad, format them the way you want, then connected with the java telnet app to paste them into your actual biography.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

It sounds like a problem where ~ is a special character to your mud client, so it has automatically replaced it with some other arbitrary symbol.  You might be able to change that in the options.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

When this has popped up in the past it has been a bug, to my recall. I'd email the MUD account.

Okay, I just logged on with the web-browser client for the first time in a solid couple of years. It didn't help. So clearly this isn't a problem with SimpleMU.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

Have you set a special letter to be the 'exit' letter, besides the ~ ?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I don't remember purposefully setting anything to be the exit letter. And if I did, I'd like to hope that I'm not dumb enough to make it 'K'.
Is there some way you can set the exit letter yourself? If so, I could just change it back to '~' and be done with it.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

The only place where I can see where you can change the exit key, is in the Character Creation section, and by pressing O for Options.

I suggest to use the request tool, and ask them to edit the options there.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

What Mansa said.

I had a similar problem years ago where it would do the same thing with a "E".  It took me some time to figure out what the problem was.  I don't think it is your client.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.