Feedback on Bio Tool

Started by Sanvean, August 18, 2007, 01:39:27 AM

I just read through my chars and realized I only have only two non-human and two magickers. Anyone else get any awesome realizations?

-Ken

Quote from: "Kennath"Anyone else get any awesome realizations?

-Ken

most of my chars were made before bios existed, and thus don't have entries.

i also realize how badly i want to be able to add more entries to each of my old chars.

and how excited i am to be nearing that possibility.

I have a question. On some of them it has things written out to the left. What is that?
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

1. how are these ordered...certainly not alphabetically or by date...

2. how come there's only a select few pc's on here?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Quote from: "Mudder"I have a question. On some of them it has things written out to the left. What is that?

The stuff on the left is your character name.  From looking at the logs something is odd with your account. Ignore the odd entry. I will find out what it is.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Quote from: "Manhattan"1. how are these ordered...certainly not alphabetically or by date...

2. how come there's only a select few pc's on here?

1.   The ordering is how it parses.  I didn't make any attempt to do any sorting of the entries.  I may later.

2.  You will only see entries from after the time that the biography command was implemented.  Entries before that time do not have the needed XML formatted files.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Doesnt look to be possible to get back to the character index once you've opened one of the bios. Clicking 'back' would 'eventually' get you back to login page.

Quote from: "Folker"Doesnt look to be possible to get back to the character index once you've opened one of the bios. Clicking 'back' would 'eventually' get you back to login page.

Odd. It works fine for me.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "Fathi"
Quote from: "Folker"Doesnt look to be possible to get back to the character index once you've opened one of the bios. Clicking 'back' would 'eventually' get you back to login page.

Works for me too.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Quote from: "Fathi"

Works for me too.

Same.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

This is really, really kickass.

One thing I'd like to see is some structured ordering of the characters in the list.  For someone with a lot of characters, it is confusing to have everyone you've ever played splashed randomly on the page.  So it would be nice to have some kind of organized system.

Is there some kind of limit as to how many characters can be displayed, or does the tool just grab whomever has been around since the bio tool was introduced?  My earliest characters are not displayed, but I think some characters are on the list who never had the advantage of the bio tool, though I could be wrong.

[edit - woops, the above question was answered earlier in the thread, sorry, please disregard.]

Do you have any plans for making the tool display other things specific to each character?  Keywords, clans, or stats, for instance?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I had the same problem under Internet Explorer 6.0. Problem doesn't exist under IE 7.0, Firefox 2.0 or Safari 3.0 for Windows.

If your having the problem under IE 6.0 I'd recommend upgrading or downloading an alternate browser. Or if you're at work, avoiding using the tool ;)

Alternatively a work around I discovered is to hit back once, then refresh.

I justed used this tool to recover something that I thought I had lost for good, which turned out to be in one of the bios. Aside from satiating my curiosity, it actually turned out to be very useful...I can't thank the staff enough for this tool.

When I'm looking at a bio and I hit the back button to get back to the list of my PCs, it goes back to that bio I was reading, and then when I hit it again, it goes back to the login.  Also, all of my characters aren't listed there.

Other than that, it's great.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

My only complaint is that I wish I'd taken more time to write bios for my old favorite character.

The ones I could read (and thought I'd lost) were such a welcome blast from the past.

Cuusardo:

2. You will only see entries from after the time that the biography command was implemented. Entries before that time do not have the needed XML formatted files.

Is that possibly why you're not seeing all of them?

I addressed a couple of concerns.  The entries now sort alphabetically, and there are some more navigational links.

I want it in chronological order not alphebetical!!

Or so you can change it?  :oops:

I wish it recorded more information too. Like when the character was created, when they died, how many hours played etc.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I would like to have the option to put these in chronological order but I LOVE THIS.

Belenos, if I didn't know you were frighteningly well hung, I would offer to bear your children.

This is the Awesome of the Year.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

The people you should be thanking are the folks that wrote the biography command.  Writing a viewer is not all that hard.  Without their work this wouldn't be possible.

Fucking awesome.

Well done, all involved in creating this.

As someone who has gotten into bios with the past few characters, I'm really enjoying the shit out of this. Thanks so much for developing it.
Amor Fati

I like it. Wouldn't it be better under Community Resources though? As it's less a 'helpfile' or 'information' thing?

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Hands down I think this is one of the most awesome coded solutions I've seen for the mud so far.  Great job!
I was with Kul on that trip.

Quote from: "Maso"I like it. Wouldn't it be better under Community Resources though? As it's less a 'helpfile' or 'information' thing?

Yep, but I don't have access to that machine. :)   Things will change when Arm 2.0 rolls out anyway.

I look forward to it!

Belenos,

You post-dated your update note on that page by a month.  It says it was last updated on September 17, 2007.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Unfortunately, like the request tool, I can't use this new bio tool either. A combination of things on my end prevents it from working for me.

I'm glad it's working out for everyone else though, and it sounds like a really excellent addition.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Hands down, deluxe.

Props and thanks.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "Sanvean"Cuusardo:

2. You will only see entries from after the time that the biography command was implemented. Entries before that time do not have the needed XML formatted files.

Hmm, probably.  I couldn't remember when the bio command went in, so I thought I should've had more characters listed there.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"
Quote from: "Sanvean"Cuusardo:

Hmm, probably.  I couldn't remember when the bio command went in, so I thought I should've had more characters listed there.

My very first pc had it, and that was around June or July of 2005, give a month or two, cause I remember when it was implemented so it wasn't before my first pc.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

Quote from: "Lizzie"Unfortunately, like the request tool, I can't use this new bio tool either. A combination of things on my end prevents it from working for me.

Feel free to contact me on this if you want.  There is a bit of common code between the request tool and the biography viewer.  My initial suspicion is that you don't have cookies enabled.  Without being able to store a session ID cookie, the system will never know you've logged in.

Quote from: "Belenos"
Quote from: "Lizzie"Unfortunately, like the request tool, I can't use this new bio tool either. A combination of things on my end prevents it from working for me.

Feel free to contact me on this if you want.  There is a bit of common code between the request tool and the biography viewer.  My initial suspicion is that you don't have cookies enabled.  Without being able to store a session ID cookie, the system will never know you've logged in.

It's a combination of things. Mostly it's my browser settings; no third-party cookies. Because I use a proxy to access the web, the proxy site is considered the "first party" and zalanthas.org is considered the "second" party. The request tool is a third party, so no go. I can't allow third-party cookies for security reasons. It really isn't a big deal, because the Armageddon staff has been helpful and understanding in the past and I try not to make many requests that require personal attention.

I appreciate your willingness to take a look, but I assure you it is on my end, and there is nothing I am able to do to change it.

Thanks once again!

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Hmm needs to check dis out.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I don't know if this was answered, but;

Quote from: "LauraMars"Do you have any plans for making the tool display other things specific to each character?  Keywords, clans, or stats, for instance?

Also, can we get the date that the bio entry was added?   I know it shows up when you type 'bio', but can it also show up in the bio viewer page?

Thanks!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Also when Arm 2 goes up are we still going to have access to this or should we be backing up the3 info right now?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

From a web-design point of view... is it possible to get 'back' functionality?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

There will be enhancements on the tool over time, within the limits of what is doable.  I would suspect also that we will allow you access to your Arm 1.0 characters when 2.0 goes live, although none of that has been discussed at all.