New emote: amote.

Started by Cale_Knight, July 01, 2007, 05:30:34 AM

This would be an emote used for strictly audible emotes. The neat thing would be that folks with listen on would hear them in adjacent rooms. So:

A room! [WED]
There's stuff in it.
The tall, muscular man gives a long, low whistle.

An adjacent room! [W]
It's next to another room.
To the west, you hear someone give a long, low whistle.

The biggest problem with this would be folks forgetting the limitations of the emote and using it improperly, like amoting "glancing over his shoulder, @ gives a long, low whistle."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Me likey.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Too much.

I mean, as an option, I think it's a brilliant idea.

But we already have enough confusion with Semote and Hemote and Pemote and Psemote and so on.

If the emoting system could get a slight revamp, I'd be all for it.

I hope nobody minds the derailment, but here's what I have in mind for a revamp:

emote (sound Whistling loudly,) @ slants his mouth into a smirk (hidden and wiggles his eyebrows).
Whistling loudly, the tall, muscular man slants his mouth into a smirk (and wiggles his eyebrows).

Might be a bit of a bitch to code, but eventually all these emotes are going to get overwhelming.  It's already problematic that you can't really combine a regular emote with an hemote and that stuff has to be broken up into smaller emotes if you want to convey it properly.

So, in summary: excellent idea, but I think it would further complicate an already bulky (though awesome) system.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I think the original ideas is fine as is, and that we shouldn't worry about things getting too complicated. Nobody will be forced to use this.

I think this idea is neat. I also think I would forget to use it. (Much like I often forget to hemote, think, feel...etc.) But I would try.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I'd use it.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

My ONLY problem with this kind of thing has to do with another of my issues...

When you whistle, your lips purse.  What you did is NOT 100% without physical motion, just like when someone is deaf, they can still see your lips moving.  The code, however does not allow for this, though.

What this idea will start causing people to do is...

> amote whistles loudly.
> semote purses his lips and exhales through them.

...just so both the deaf and blind people around them know that something happened.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.