magickers in nak

Started by amish overlord, June 04, 2007, 09:52:47 PM

This thought came to me the other day about magickers. We know nak gems their magickers but what are the rules? What about magickers that may travel, be tribal or such(assuming they'd want to go to the city) would they if known be forced to wear a gem or perhaps for special fee if report themselves be allowed to go ungemmed. They couldn't use magick in city or go to temples, perhaps heavily watched Obviously ones that prove to be nuisance but some tribes might not like a sign look at me i am a gemmed for traveling Due to trade brought to city.  So could see templars say okay you of tribe whatever may go ungemmed long as don't practice near city or come to the city often. Swore saw back in past this was okay as well(could be wrong

Of course could see anyone who is magicky must wear a gem if want to enter nak(legally)

Any one else want to pipe in?

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

The rules are usually taught by the PC templar when they give the Gem.

Why ruin the fun of the templar by teaching beforehand?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Interesting question.  I'd ask a templar.

Oh, so those gypsy's get special treatment eh.

I always thought of magickers as 'criminals by birth'. The gem is a gift from the city to them. An opportunity to live bound by the rules of the city - I'm guessing because there were just too damned many of them to kill them all, and well, they can be useful from time to time.

My Templar (if I was playing one), would say, if she caught a Gypsy Magicker trading, "Get da feck outta my city, or you wear this Gem and you're my slave from this day onwards." etc etc

You get my drift.

Down with the magickers.

No I mean, I love magickers, but IC'ly...DOWN WITH THE MAGICKERS.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote..IC'ly...DOWN WITH THE MAGICKERS.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

You need to keep in mind that Allanaki criminal law is extremely archaic.  It isn't like there is a tablet with all the laws of Allanak set out for the public to read.  Further, even when a law is written, the only people who can read it are the people who enforce it.  The result is that the 'laws' of such a city state are extremely loose and often time arbitrary.

In the case of magikers, the Templerate might very well  have a policy that certain non-gemmed magikers are allowed to entire the city declared and unmolested (though such knowledge would clearly be strictly IC).  Outside of agreements that the Templerate might or might not have, what happens outside of those agreements is really up to individual Templars.

If as a magik wielding tribal you can convince a Templar not to gem you, well, more power to you.  It will almost certainly come at some sort of price, but it is possible that under the right conditions (and right price) a Templar could overlook a lurking non-resident (or even resident) magiker.  I would be deeply skeptical that any magiker would take up a tribal on such a deal without exacting some sort of price.  Dragging in a rogue magiker never hurts one's reputation, but letting a magiker run free is always a liability that needs to be paid in full.

If your tribal wants to be a declared non-gemmed magiker, you can certainly try and talk to a Templar about it.  That said, my advice would be to be very weary and not rely on the Templar's reasonableness in the matter.  Before I attempted such a dangerous thing, I would have an appropriate bribe/promise/information/blackmail/etc ready to pay the price of your continued freedom, and a good reason as to why I would to bother risking such a dangerous interaction.