Man this is hard...

Started by thebrassthief, May 17, 2007, 01:39:19 AM

...or "Hey this looks like a cool MUD. Wait...oh wow..."

So my name is thebrassthief (or TBT) and I am trying to start playing this MUD. But damn. Damn. I don't think I have been forced to read this much since before I started using Linux. It has been three days and I have yet to log on because of all the into I am looking at on the home page. I have an idea for a character I can do, but all of the stuff you have to read and make sure you know and the commands an-...geez. Am I over looking this? Should I just hop in right now and attempt to get a character approved?

Hop in and have some fun.  The documentation will come easier after you have played for a bit.  Just keep your concept simple and try to meet people.  One piece of advice, be cautious of who you trust while in the game.

Another resource you can call on if you so desire are the helpers.  You will find the list at  http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

TBT, while my account is a year old, I have only made like 5 characters so far, and almost every single one has died to NPCs. Just get in, make a character, and roam around. Chill out in bars, read boards, do whatever you would do in the characters position. I don't think its easy to RP some crazy character background until you learn the context.

Most of what you need to know is how to train skills, who to talk to, and to always, always avoid kank poop.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Hop right in.  Make a human.  Make a warrior or a pickpocket.

Go to Allanak.

Say that your from a farming village outside of town, and you need to get a job.

Presto!  Good luck!

Also, if you're a pickpocket, you're probably going to get thrown into jail for a while.  Please read the helpfiles while in jail.  That's what I did!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Jump in now, after a while the helpfiles won't sink in any further without practical experience.

As long as you don't run around claiming to be Darth Vader or using L33T speak, most players will be very understanding of honest newbie mistakes.  We like newbies.   Newbies are the future.

If you get stuck on a command syntax while interacting with other people it is acceptable to briefly use OOC to help things go smoothly.  For example, if an authority figure tells you to lay down your weapons, and you can't remember the command to drop them, it is OK to do,
    >OOC What is the command to lay down weapons, please?
And they will tell you, and then the scene goes on IC like nothing happened.  There are a few situations where the syntax is quirky, we've all been there, and most players are happy to help.  Of course our characters are happy to stab you in the back, newbie or not, but the players are mostly nice people.   :twisted:

If the situation is less immediate, you can ask almost any question here, and you'll usually get an answer very quickly.  Or if you want ongoing one-on-one help, or help on IC situations that maybe shouldn't be posted on the public boards,  the official Helpers are very nice people who may be able to tell you more than we can here.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Good to know then =) I guess I will head on and throw something together then to morph around as and get the feel of stuff. Thanks for the bit of reenforcement.

Thumbs up. b(^_^)d

For the most part, if you start in Allanak or Tuluk, authority figures there (templars, nobles, merchant family members, Byn sergeants, militia/Legion members) will recognize your noobness and be more than happy to take you under their wing for some IC-appropriate abuse, small quantities of OOC help if needed, and gentle IC correction of whatever ways you're undoubtedly going to mess up.

Don't worry about messing up, we ALL did it.

I once fainted from using the Way in front of two templars, at different times, on the same day. They were very kind to me in my noobness, and the interactions I had with them got me totally hooked.

So what I'm saying is, don't be afraid of authority figures. Their players are trusted for a reason.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Oh, and because no one's said it on this thread, amazingly enough:

WELCOME TO CRACKAGEDDON!
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Gim is 100% correct, this game is an addiction. Maybe not with your first character, but once you understand the ropes a bit more, you'll learn that even if you're a nub, death to a badass sorceror is like "Holy crap, I just confronted a sorceror." Even I've done some amazing things on a 0-day character

Welcome man, hope to see you sticking around.

Well, just did a submit and, well, maybe see ya on. Thanks for the help and such. (^_^)

Also you don't have to read the whole website, or every help file, or every link just to start out.

While you're waiting for your character approval here some stuff that will help you the most as a newbie (I'm not linking them, if you can't find the links use the built-in search at the bottom of the main website):

1) mechanics doc
2) what your character would know (just the page of the location you want to start in)
3) the helpfiles on the guild and subguild you gave your character
4) The summaries of each of the following:
4a) magick
4b) combat
4c) the Tzai Byn
4d) The Great Merchant Houses
5) help map, help map_tuluk
6) the rules (it's pretty short, takes up less space than my post)

That's it.
The rest of the stuff on the website you can look for whenever you have time or need. The most important thing that will be stressed on most of the other pages, is that roleplaying is the crux of the game, and it isn't an option, it's the entire point.

Good luck and welcome!

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: "Belenos"Hop in and have some fun.  The documentation will come easier after you have played for a bit.  Just keep your concept simple and try to meet people.  One piece of advice, be cautious of who you trust while in the game.

Another piece of advice, don't get discouraged if you die. Death is one of the best features of the game. :twisted:

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Follow up:

TBT, did you get approved? Are you enjoying yourself as this game takes root in your reptilian brain?