Enjoyable Experience with Magickers

Started by Dan, April 26, 2007, 09:18:12 AM

I just wanted to throw out some positive stuff on magickers since everyone seems to A) be bashing them, or B) are indifferent.

What enjoyable experiences have you had, without any relevant in-character information, that you are able to reasonably share due to enough time passing?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

It's all current and IC, but I've had two very positive experiences recently with two different magickers.

I think part of the trick to interacting with magickers and not being auto-killed, is to *roleplay* the introductory moments where you realize you're in their presence. It's no guarantee you won't end up dead anyway, but it at least gives both parties a chance to get over the initial panic, and that can make a huge difference in how things progress.

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The most recent experiences I had with magickers was incredibly fun.
Granted, I played one at the time.  I'd love to detail what went on at some point when Arm 2 gets going.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

I can't really give details. But I would like to say I've had some greaaaat experiences with magickers lately. They've been wicked. So enough with all the magicker bashing and kudos to them.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: "Maso"I can't really give details. But I would like to say I've had some greaaaat experiences with magickers lately. They've been wicked. So enough with all the magicker bashing and kudos to them.

People aren't generally bashing their interactions with magickers, they're bashing the frequency of those interactions.  Those are two entirely different arguments.  Definite kudos to players who play a responsible and well developed magicker.  

-LoD

I've had plenty of enjoyable experiences with magickers as a magicker.  I've had plenty as a mundane Oash employee too (especially that one Drovian, you know who you are  :wink: ).

Outside that, though, most magickal encounters aren't supposed to be positive, not ICly at least.  Magickers should be suspicious of mundanes because mundanes are supposed to be suspicious of magickers.  Friendly 'gickers aren't a sign that magick is being properly portrayed in the game either.

I never said that the experiences had to be positive for the character involved, just that it was enjoyable, heh.

For myself I had a ton of fun with a few other magickers, right around the time of the mantis invasion until the copper wars. My magicker was alive pretty much between those two times. I think Forest Junkie would remember a couple instances... felt bad that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with two or three characters in a row.

It was just intense roleplay pretty much nonstop, a combined bounty on us being close to 100,000 'sid. Finding trouble from gemmed, to Templars, and other unaffiliated sorcerors and magickers. Went to places you can't reach with any normal character, saw things im sure 99% of the playerbase doesn't know about.

I think I was even targetted by Serpent for a little bit there, I know I spoke to him a couple of times.

Positive experiences do not = friendly magickers.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

I have had interactions during the last RL couple of months with a couple of non-mundanes I thought were really well-played and interesting characters, and who were clearly not out to just abuse mundanes. Unfortunately it's way too current and IC for me to point those players out.

Prior to that, all my interactions were of the "oh look a bender is using me for skill-twinking" or "invisible voice tells me to stop logging and get out of its sacred grove" variety. So these interesting, illuminating encounters have been even more valuable to me.

Non-mundanes can be played well, and some players are doing it. I'm appreciative of that.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

For those saying that friendly magickers are not good magickers...

I'd suggest that you stop telling others how to roleplay their characters.  Magickers are just as much people as mundane characters, and they could want friends and social interaction too.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I don't think anybody is saying that.  

I think they are saying that just because you had a positive experience, doesn't mean the magicker was friendly.

Edit: Except for Moe.  COME ON MOE!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I've had some good times running into magickers and just about everyone that I ran into were good rpers, whether it be them rping whooping my character or getting along to an extent its all good. I took an somewhat long hiatus due to some rl stuff going on and all the magicker encounters when I came back freaked me out hehe. Anyways kudos and keep up the good work.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

I had a positive magicker experience when I killed some.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"Outside that, though, most magickal encounters aren't supposed to be positive, not ICly at least.  Magickers should be suspicious of mundanes because mundanes are supposed to be suspicious of magickers.  Friendly 'gickers aren't a sign that magick is being properly portrayed in the game either.

A magicker couldn't be naive?

Or stupid?

Or optimistic?

Or lonely?

Or horny?

Or curious?

Or be hoping to sell or buy something?

Or be needing help of any kind?

Or be trying to manipulate?

Or be trying to deny/hide their nature?

Or have had prior positive experiences with mundanes?

Any of the above, plus probably a lot more personality characteristics and circumstances, could conceivably lead to magickers attempting to have positive interactions (e.g. friendliness) with mundanes. Have to agree with spawnloser, it's not reasonable to say that friendliness is a sign that magick is not "being properly portrayed in the game."
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Back to topic... it isn't a matter of the magicker being friendly or not. I am just wondering about who has had positive and enjoyable experiences RPing with magickers. Whether the magicker in question is friendly, an asshole, or whatever.

So, anything you think worthy of sharing, go for it.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Have to agree with spawnloser, it's not reasonable to say that friendliness is a sign that magick is not "being properly portrayed in the game."

I have to agree too, since I never actually said that.  Here's what I said:
Quote from: "Marauder Moe"Friendly 'gickers aren't a sign that magick is being properly portrayed in the game either.

Some people then went on to make assumptions based on logical fallacies.  I said 'A (friendly magickers) does not imply B (magick is being properly portrayed in the game)'.  That statement doesn't mean 'if A then not B', as you seem to think it does.

My two favorite characters, by far (both played within the last 2 years) revolved almost entirely around magick, and groups of magickers. For anyone thinking they have to play "the hidden, sneaky magicker" to have fun, I've had the biggest blasts in open traditional groups. The RP has been incredibly engaging. I'm still having trouble coming down from the intensity of my last of these characters. I've had the pleasure of playing with magickers who:

:arrow: Were as subtly devious as the slimiest of nobility.
    :arrow: Were so vibrant, wacky, and original that they had me constantly grinning.
    :arrow: Were so deep that I really bought into their emotional personalities.
    :arrow: Really played out learning and growing.
    :arrow: Ranged from irritable to the entirely passive.
    :arrow: Played youth/old/race age really convincingly.
    :arrow: Had some wonderful internal conflict.
My most intense/terrifying/stressful moments have all come from being involved with these people. They involve political maneuvering, heists, daring rituals, saving friends from the brink of death, escapes, assassinations, treason, and even their execution. I hope to make some crazy logs available at the end of the incarnation if they're acceptable. There is some fantastic magickal RP going on.

All I can say is...

What Cow said.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Depends how you look at it. Have I had enjoyable experiences with magickers? Sure. I have enjoyable experiences with hundreds of characters every year. I've also had some surprisingly poor encounters with players of mid- to high-karma guilds, and that's a lot more noticeable than running into random Ranger Joe who doesn't seem up to par. Most positive was a magicker who portrayed their character as an interesting personality with the magick part being less prominent instead of being everything the character was built around. Most negative was a gemmed who, if it hadn't been wearing the gem, would probably have had me go OOC with a link to the helper list because it honestly seemed like a brand new player.

Well, enough time has passed for me to just shout out to anyone if they remember Black Tembo. Enjoy my portrayal of him, yes, no?

Quote from: "Dan"Well, enough time has passed for me to just shout out to anyone if they remember Black Tembo. Enjoy my portrayal of him, yes, no?

I remember being terrified of him though never saw him, and wanting to be his friend another time but never saw him!

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

For all my not-so-subtle digs at magic, I really like playing magickers.  I like groups of mages and emoting cantrips.  One of my favorite characters was a vivaduan girl who hung out with a bunch of other magickers.  It was great to write about how she discovered her element.  It was hilarious to constantly write about wringing out my clothes and slipping in puddles in a hot and dry desert environment.  I had a lot of fun fleshing out that character.  I played with some sorcerers, a fantastic dwarven rukkian and a half-elven whiran.  Gee, I miss you guys.

The problem I had with the role was the same problem I have with most iso clans.  Because of the documented hatred the city states (where the majority of the playerbase resides) have for magic, the group of magickers I played with was unfortunately and unavoidably isolated, and I feel that this detracted from the game in the long run by robbing most of the players of some fantastic rpers by sticking them up in Magicker Iso Clan Heaven.

If there was a broader spectrum of reactions by the majority of the documented mundane world besides "I want to kill you/enslave you," I think that magic would integrate far better into the world than it does now, and make for more enjoyable experiences.

The other reason I'm so down on magic is because I dislike the coded magic system, and I feel it could be vastly improved in so many ways, but I won't get into that.

If those two things could be changed just a leeetle bit, bring on the magic!  Bring it on bring it on!  I will knock your socks off with my zany magic characters!

p.s. I also LOVE to kill magickers.  LOVE IT.

Quote from: "Dan"Well, enough time has passed for me to just shout out to anyone if they remember Black Tembo. Enjoy my portrayal of him, yes, no?

My two-hour old character got burned to a crisp by the Black Tembo for being in exactly the wrong place at exactly the wrong time. I was laughing too hard to be annoyed, though!

Grey Area,

I hope you enjoyed it at least... sorry heh.

Bosh Liked Black Tembo.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job