Happy Armageddon Thoughts

Started by Lizzie, April 04, 2007, 10:22:46 AM

There's a lot of talk about karma, and magickers, and criticisms and complaints, and how this or that is unbalanced and twinks do this or the other thing and all kinds of stuff like that.

So in the midst of it all, I just want to say, I have learned recently I have karma for magick selection, and I'm very proud and happy for that. On the other hand, I've been playing my current PC so long, and she's an ordinary, mundane, non-leader, normal grebber-type with no sekrit skillz and not even all that much uberness in the skills she does have, and I am having an amazing time with her especially lately. As giddy as I am knowing that next time around I can pick a magicker class, I am SO having fun with the one I have now, that I might just decide to play another mundane as the end of the world as we know it draws close. When the time comes, that is. Assuming it comes, heh. With my luck, I'll have this character until the day Arm v.1 closes shop and Arm v.2 opens. But that would be fine too. If I never get a chance to play any of the karma classes I have (which aren't all -that- many really), I think I'll still be very glad I came to Armageddon and have played with such wonderful RPers.

So thanks to all of you for everything so far, and looking forward to more more more!

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

That's great! I'm not too good at sticking with my characters, I get bored easily and if two weeks go by where I feel like my character has no purpose, I move on. I've had magicker karma for quite a while and only recently made one that I never intended to play fully, it just doesn't appeal to me and you should never feel that you have to play a role just because you have the karma for it. The most interesting roles are gained through direct staff trust, the kind of roles you don't find on a list in your account data, and I think that's the real achievement. Nothing beats playing a race that many players don't even know exists.
b]YB <3[/b]

Characters that survive using only Sirihish make me happy.

I love my pathetic mundane character and hope she makes it to the end.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I loved mine too, but that somehow jinxed it and I died to my own stupidity.

Mine was cool, too. I blame you, palomar. :(
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I survived hahah!
Yeah, mundane characters are fun!
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

I don't know if I'd really have much fun playing something other than a dirty, stinking grebber.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I have a sizeable pile of karma, but I've definately enjoyed my generic warrior/mercenery combo far, far, far more than all the magickers I've ever played combined, go ahead and add halfling, HG, and krazy delf to that list as well.

Generic human warrior or ranger ftfw.

-WP hopes to survive to the end, very much, but would enjoy a knife in the eye just as much.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I fookin' <3 you Liz.  :wink:

Quote from: "Bebop"I fookin' <3 you Liz.  :wink:

I'm pretty glad to know that you are somewhere out there, too.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

You ain't so fookin' bad yaself, Bebop the Great!
/inside joke
:)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: "palomar"I loved mine too, but that somehow jinxed it and I died to my own stupidity.

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"Mine was cool, too. I blame you, palomar.

You're both idiots. I miss you guys.
size=9]go tell that lonesome liar
go tell that midnight rider
tell the gamblin', ramblin' backslider
tell them God Almighty gonna cut 'em down[/size]

Once upon a time it used to be you had to play for at least an entire year before you got a single point of karma.

Quote from: "Hymwen"The most interesting roles are gained through direct staff trust, the kind of roles you don't find on a list in your account data, and I think that's the real achievement.

The most interesting roles are the ones you find most interesting.

Quote from: "LauraMars"The most interesting roles are the ones you find most interesting.

Truth.  

Interesting roles have nothing to do with staff approval, trust, or karma.  They have everything to do with you and what you find interesting.

The most powerful character I've ever had, by far, had 5 class skills which were haggle, value, scan, listen, and pilot.  Halfway through the character some Imm decided to give me bandage because of all the time I'd spent RP'ing bandaging my employees up on trips through the desert.

Good times.

-LoD

I concur with LoD and LauraMars.  Interesting is a very relavant and subjective term.  What's interesting to one person may not be the other.  If I stop and think about ArmageddonMUD and some characters, two of the first few who come to mind were merchants who didn't have any skill to speak of - but they created their own little empires around them.  They were very interesting to me, because of that.  Even though I love playing mages, my favorite character has always been "Human Ranger".
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

D.elf ranger in Akei'ta Var will always be my first love.

That tribe is amazing, and I attempt to totally immerse myself into its rich culture whenever I make a hunt/er/ress with them.

Even though I have magicker Karma, I will say this, and only once...

MUNDANE FOR LIFE!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I don't think I have a favorite guild or class.  I usually end up loving whatever character I have until they die.  And making everyone else love me too.  Or hate me.

For me it's all about who the character is, personality-wise, and how deeply I can get them involved in plots and with other characters. Give me a complex character, plenty of plot twists, and plenty of interaction and the rest just doesn't matter.

I've been very fortunate in meeting those criteria on most of my long-lived characters thus far. And I have a lot of other players to thank for that, because without them my characters would have no reason to develop, no companions for adventure, and no plots to get twisted up in.

<3 to all y'all players
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I'll always have a soft spot for Drovians.

I've been happily running a human warrior since last July, and he's my definite favourite. Mundane up the wazoo, too. Dude doesn't even know any magickers.

I think my most interesting roles are indie assassins/hunters. They have so much freedom and can do whatever they want, whereas karma roles are bounded by restrictions.

D.elves are bounded by a tribe. Mages are bounded by their gems. Half-giants are bounded by their stupidity. And so on...

If you want absolute freedom in Zalanthas, my suggestion is simple.  Make an indie.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Merchants are loads of fun, indie or otherwise, if you have the right mindset. Same with nobles, Templars, and the like.

I did really enjoy my Rukkian, when I played him. Whoever said that gemmers have no culture of their own, they weren't around during their heyday. That was such a fun time.

I love the assassins and indie rangers as well. Always a lot of fun.

Magick never been my thing.
Free your hate.

Quote from: "Krath"Even though I have magicker Karma, I will say this, and only once...

MUNDANE FOR LIFE!

Amen.  I played Arm for 8 years before I left and no matter how much karma I had I never felt the urge to play a magicker.

In a world where magick is supposed to be fairly mysterious, I think its easier to keep that feeling alive after so much time by staying as willfulling ignorant as possible about how magick works (at least as much as you can after so many year).

I played Human Warriors almost exclusively, and I wouldn't change that at all (though my short-lived halfling gladiator was kinda fun, heh)
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

In this order:

1. warrior (guild) mercenary (IC profession)

2. desert elf rangers (any tribe but I think my favorite has to be the Siltwinds)

3. ungemmed/gemmed whirans (the only magicker class I've ever really enjoyed playing, I've given several others a try but could never really get into them, a whiran is my style of mage)

4. Jihaen templar (these guys are the jedi/monks of Armageddon, gotta love it, the only reason they didn't rank higher for me is because my preference leans toward less restrictive roles)
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

LauraMars wrote:
QuoteThe most interesting roles are the ones you find most interesting.
Indeed. And I find mages interesting. I'm crazy about magick. I play wizards and sorcerers in every game I play. If mages in Arm were nerfed to the point where all they could do was use cantrip-emotes, I'd still play them. I'd play them exclusively if I could.
Armageddon has one of the best magick systems I've ever seen. The code itself is brilliant, but the true beauty of it is that magick isn't limited to the code. And it shouldn't be- it's freaking magick! One of the best parts of playing a magicker is figuring out their personal connection to their element. How do they view it? How do they use it? Do they like it? Do they love it? What does magick mean to them? The possibilities are endless and diverse. I've played a Drovian, for example, that was terrified of his own powers, spending every moment praying that the dark thing inside him would leave him alone, the stress eventually reducing him to a babbling madman.
When I play a mundane, and I realize I can't go "emote smiles faintly as a nimbus of embers glow into being around him," I feel sad.
Of course, what everyone else is saying is true. The best characters are -characters- first. Plots and cool skill-lists can help make a character more memorable, yes, but the best characters are the ones you really take the time to flesh out.
I once played a dwarven Rukkian. For the first few weeks I played him, he barely cast any spells at all. Only when he needed them, only for the bare bones of survival. The rest of the time, he was just a regular Amos. Getting into (and losing) bar-fights, drinking heavily, mining for 'sid, getting lost in the wastes.  His greatest quirk was easily singing 'The Ladies Love a Stone Mage' at the top of his lungs, making up new verses as he goes (he wrote some frickin' good ones, too).
He later went on to see some crazy stuff. Hung out with sorcerers. Explored ruins. Branched some spells. Acheived his focus. Died a gory death.
But, really, the best times I had with that character was when he was all alone, hacking away at a deposit of obsidian, singing dirty lyrics to keep the loneliness away.
"Oh, and once I loved a 'gicker girl,
and took her as my bed-mate.
She took off my clothes and took my hand
and made me levitate!"
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Elves
Halflings
Elkrosians

...and for some reasons, vivaduans just get me wet. ;)
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I've had Karma for a while now, but ever since Armageddon II was closed I've wanted to play my Karma roles that I never have (such as a Krathi), because who knows how changed they'll be in Armageddon II so this could be my last chance to play them as they exist now. Instead I'm playing merchants, hunters and other mundane roles. Every time chargen comes up, I have a choice and I get all excited over some mundane character.

I've got a fair few characters left to go before September, so perhaps I'll make a magicker before then. But for now, I'm really enjoying my mundanes :)

Quote from: "Dresan"Once upon a time it used to be you had to play for at least an entire year before you got a single point of karma.
I'm pretty glad they got rid of that arbitrary rule (if ever it was a rule) over 5 years ago ;) If someone is roleplaying well enough to get higher karma after 6 months, why not let them have it?

Oh shit, as I've been reading these posts, I've just added one more mundane character concept that I HAVE to play  :roll: Yeah, luckily my characters never live long :P

Quote from: "Dresan"Once upon a time it used to be you had to play for at least an entire year before you got a single point of karma.

In 1998, I got karma on my 5th character.  That was after 5 months.  ( I did loose my karma in 1999 because I'm a twink, and earned it back in 2001 )

Maybe this was "before" karma?  I'm sure it was only in the system in 1996.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

It wasn't an actually system. It just had to do with Imms being more picky on giving away karma.

I remember posts on the subject...for -most- people it used to take about a year before they got that 1 point of karma but that was so many moons ago. Then again i used to play -skilled- northern assassins. I wasn't making any karma or friends training those guys since the imms didn't like my training methods back then, though their stance has chanced since i've returned.

I've always felt that I've been lucky with my karma since I haven't been here that long and yet I have a considerable amount of races and guilds open to me.  Though to be honest I think the class that I was most excited about was my burglar but maybe that's because I was completely clueless to how skills worked back then.  Not that I didn't have fun with the others (gickers or mundane).  I thought they were all fun.   I suppose I just try to make the best out of what I have and they all end up interesting to me at least.  One thing I found out though was I actually liked figuring out what made other characters tick more than interacting with the characters.  Of course both go somewhat hand in hand but yeah.  You're all just a social experiment to me.

Happy thought would probably be the first time (and only time) I got a kudos.  Admittedly, I haven't really given any of those out yet, I know I should.  I've seen so many players out there that made me go... man, I suck...

*writes on the to do list*

1 karma is all I will ever need.

I'm really not a fan of magick.
Free your hate.