spells and hide

Started by daedroug, March 05, 2007, 07:32:31 PM

just a quick question but does a successful hide interrupt a spell being cast on you?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I'd hope not.

How are you going to duck behind cactus or into a crowd if someone's concentrating enough to be casting a spell at you?

...then again, I guess it's their fault for not watching you if you do successfully hide.

Exactly i think if your good enough to dive into some underbrush or behind a dune and out of their site they'll have to fire off the spell in your genereal direction which will more often then not be a miss.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I think this is more of a "Find out IC" question. :roll:
It shouldn't be the forum where you discuss the mechanics to avoiding a spell. If you find out it doesn't work as you expect, send the mud an email...or actually, just send the email now before you lose a character.  :wink:

I think the request tool might be helpful.

Quote from: "Tides of Spring"I think this is more of a "Find out IC" question. :roll:
It shouldn't be the forum where you discuss the mechanics to avoiding a spell. If you find out it doesn't work as you expect, send the mud an email...or actually, just send the email now before you lose a character.  :wink:

I think the request tool might be helpful.

I think this is perfect discussion for "code discussion". I see no IC information.

It depends if they have spells that allow them to <REMOVED IC INFO>

Wait a minute?  There's spells that do that?

Oh shi-

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!  I JUST RUINED THE GAME FOR YOU.  NOW I'M BANNED.

<MANSA, YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THAT>
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

It's not IC, but it is game mechanics.  Some game mechanics, magick in particular, are not supposed to be discussed in specifics here.

I think this is a little bit different it's not some hidden layer of code that wouldn't be able to be seen without extensive testing it's something that either happens or doesn't happen and would be immediately apparent.
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

Quote from: "daedroug"I think this is a little bit different it's not some hidden layer of code that wouldn't be able to be seen without extensive testing it's something that either happens or doesn't happen and would be immediately apparent.

That is kind of the point.  If you want to know if hiding behind a rock while a caster starts chanting at your is going to save your ass... well, try it and find out.  The answer is not intuitive.  Does magik lock on like a homing missle as  soon as the guy starts to chant, or does the magik no do anything until the merry old chant is done?  Who the hell knows how the arcane works?  The only way to find out is when faced with a magiker getting ready to toss a mon meteorite on your head, try hiding behind a rock and see if that helps.

No one on the board should answer such a question.  If that is not good enough of an answer, then e-mail the MUD.  They will either tell you the answer or (more likely IMO) tell you that that is IC info or an abusive way to dodge fireballs.

I always found people sneaking/hiding while you're in one way concentrated on them (speaking to them, for example) abusive.

If someone's staring at you, I don't care how maxxed your sneaking/hiding is. You won't be able to sneak/hide.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Rindan"The answer is not intuitive.
If it's not then it certanly should be. I don't see how this is anymore IC then asking whether or not a shield helps against arrows.

Also, hiding really is not as hard as you make it out to be other wise people would never get seperated from each other and that's when people are trying to stay together. All it takes for hiding and sneaking is to obscure your view of them and if they are really good they're going to disappear.
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

In this particular instance, though, I think it's a "find out IC" or get an imm opinion to chime in.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

As people have said, Daedroug, magick mechanics are NOT supposed to be discussed on the GDB.

The answer to this question will result in many people trying to hide from a magicker as soon as the magicker starts casting, which (depending on motication) would be a little twinky...see, using the absolutes of the code to get around things?  That's called being twinky.

Ask the staff or find out in the game, but good luck setting up the situation in game realistically.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"As people have said, Daedroug, magick mechanics are NOT supposed to be discussed on the GDB.

The answer to this question will result in many people trying to hide from a magicker as soon as the magicker starts casting, which (depending on motication) would be a little twinky...see, using the absolutes of the code to get around things?  That's called being twinky.

Ask the staff or find out in the game, but good luck setting up the situation in game realistically.
Thank you dictionary I know what twinky is. I ask because in some cases it might be more realistic, depending on the character, to hide rather then to run. I'm not asking so that I can be "twinky", I'm asking so that I can be realistic. However if the game doesn't support my RP there is no point in trying to be realistic.
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

Slightly off topic, but since we're all yelling at each other anyway, have I mentioned how much I hate the (non)word twink?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

QuoteI ask because in some cases it might be more realistic, depending on the character, to hide rather then to run. I'm not asking so that I can be "twinky", I'm asking so that I can be realistic. However if the game doesn't support my RP there is no point in trying to be realistic.

I think that if your character would hide rather than run, then have him/her hide?  You'll find out if it works the same way that you'll find out if the hide was successful.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Quote from: "daedroug"Thank you dictionary I know what twinky is. I ask because in some cases it might be more realistic, depending on the character, to hide rather then to run. I'm not asking so that I can be "twinky", I'm asking so that I can be realistic. However if the game doesn't support my RP there is no point in trying to be realistic.
You're welcome, though I won't rise to the insulting bait you left there.  I don't care why you want to or what the situation is.  I just told you why it shouldn't be something publicly declared, and if you think you should know, I told you who to ask...in private.

Now, stop trolling and send an email to the mud like the rest of us do when we think we should have a question answered about magick mechanics.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.