How much do typos and slow typing bother you?

Started by Anael, February 25, 2007, 02:52:23 PM

Thinking about it, typo's bother me far more than slow typing. I would rather someone took the extra 20 seconds to check whether they had made any typo's. Bad spelling I can handle, as I am well aware that a lot of players don't speak english as a first language. In some cases the sentence structures and grammar I have seen come from 'non english-native speakers' has been strangely compelling and actually added a foreign atmosphere to Arm. I LIKE IT.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

What bothers me most is when someone makes a typo and then they use the OOC channel to correct it.

With me, if I make a mistake in an important action, I'll fix it with another emote. Maybe.

If it's in speech, I leave it and roll with it like my character made a mistake. Which characters actually do sometimes, people. We're not all flawless.

Quote from: "Rhyden"We're not all flawless.

Speak for yourself.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

I make alot of typos becuase things always get jammed going from my brain to my to my hands or I type faster then i can think sometimes.

what really is annoying is when you cant keep up with situation becuase the scroll bar wont let me go back far enough sometimes to read what i missed due to multipule emotes or people talking alot.
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

typos don't bother me.... but i have one typo i make constantly. It's a simple one and most people don't understand why i make it.

ehr
ehad
ehart
botehr
teh

I hit the h and e key at the exact same time when i am typing... in -everything-. Trust me, it will always bother me far more then it will ever bother you. I am very sorry if it has bothered you.  

i also ooc correct from time to time if i think the word would not be readable, or if i typed the wrong word or forget half a sentence.

Slow posting bugs me. I should not be able to smoke a cig between the time i hit enter, and the time you hit enter. I do not mean people that take a few seconds to think about the post they are making, those long pauses are annoying.
Quotejmordetsky: so I reckon, before 1750, people were fuckin retarded

QuoteNamino:
I'm not going to spawn 100,000,000 eggs like a black marlin just because Mekillots are a thing 

Those Es are tricky.  I don't know how many times I've tried to cook some emat (meat) or sell an elaf (leaf). I've typoed leaf so often that eventually I just embraced it and named a character elaf.  Yes, I've gone through so many characters that I've started using typos as names.  Names are hard to think up.  Wait, did I have a point?  Yes, yes I did.

I think transposition typos are partly due to trying to type fast.  If I'm using a word processor I hardly ever make those kind of typos.  But in time sensitive online activities they crop up everywhere.  So, in a way, you could consider the occasional typo to be evidence good intentions, in that other players are trying to keep up the pace.   :D
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Ha, I typo "sheathe" as "sheahte" so much that I have "sheahte" aliased.

I also have le, ln, lw, ls, lu and ld aliased, because I'm always running those together when I'm looking around like a paranoiac.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I type fast, I misspell all the time, I also use the wrong spellings of words all the time. It has never held back my RP. If I really mash something up, I will retype it.

One thing that has happened to me a couple of times recently, which is mildly irritating, Is taking a clearly ooc Typo and turning it into an IC event. For instance, someone acting on a misdirection typo, like your PC bowing to the wrong person.  

If a Templar walks in and I accidentally bow to Shelly at the end of the bar, most folks know who I was bowing to. It drives me nuts when Shelly gives a chuckle and makes a comment about me bowing to her.  At least give me a moment to retype. That stuff is just sort of silly and always takes me out of character, because I have to retype after the joke was made or OOC that it was a misdirect.

Other than things like that.. I never care about slow typing or spelling and grammar. The only things that really matter to me is Capitalization at the beginning of a sentence and Punctuation at the end. That and as long as they don't use 1337 speak, I'm good.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I don't mind typos, or misspellings. I do hate lack of capitalization.

That said I think if your RP is full of any of these things, it shows a lack of careful consideration about what you are contributing to the story. But once in a blue...who cares.

That said, one thing that I do, that I hate when other people do. but I know I do it as well, is spam say/emote. IE saying one thing will encompass three says instead of one, making it hard for another person to know where to jump in.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I typo fairly often (I'm even notorious for it in Immland) because... I'm lazy.

I know I've made a mistake, but I just really don't feel like fixing it.  You know what I mean, most of the time, anyway.  When making a post on the GDB or something like it, I'll spend the time to fix my mistakes if I find them.  But online?  Forget it, there's no point when you know I meant "the" instead of "teh".
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"I typo fairly often (I'm even notorious for it in Immland) because... I'm lazy.

I know I've made a mistake, but I just really don't feel like fixing it.  You know what I mean, most of the time, anyway.  When making a post on the GDB or something like it, I'll spend the time to fix my mistakes if I find them.  But online?  Forget it, there's no point when you know I meant "the" instead of "teh".

If you ever get an echo and it has 'teh' in it...  blame Halaster.

I recall that Halaster once echoed to the room this, a long long time ago:

"the trapdoor explodes in the face of the bard"

Correct me if I'm wrong, Halaster?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"
Quote from: "Halaster"I typo fairly often (I'm even notorious for it in Immland) because... I'm lazy.

If you ever get an echo and it has 'teh' in it...  blame Halaster.

I recall that Halaster once echoed to the room this, a long long time ago:

"the trapdoor explodes in the face of the bard"

Correct me if I'm wrong, Halaster?

What? Not "teh trapdoor exploeds in teh face of teh bard"??

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

This entire forum, and its members bother me.
ogues do it from behind

Quote from: "LiquidShell"This entire forum, and its members bother me.

:shock:

Quote from: "Maso"

:shock:

Yes, but other people's typos don't annoy me at all, yet everytime I see one of my own it pisses me off.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Yeah-- I hate it when I typo. It irritates me to the point of spamming 'look' so I don't have to see it sitting there, all smugly, on the screen.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Categorical imperative, bitch.

It doesn't bother me that much really however another question would be, if someone does typo would you rather see it left alone, corrected with ooc, or resent with the corrected typo?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I don't care about typos, mainly because my keyboard is in braille, I can't read braille, and I typo too. Slow typing, I don't care that it slow. I just hate not knowing if they are actually typing or not. Cause sometimes they aren't going to reply so I'm just sitting waiting for something y'know? Other times they are about to reply and I wait then type something and cut them off and feel like jack ass.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

...Xio, you just confused me...
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Quote from: "daedroug"It doesn't bother me that much really however another question would be, if someone does typo would you rather see it left alone, corrected with ooc, or resent with the corrected typo?

I'd rather see mistakes left alone, or if it's something that could possibly affect how other characters react to the emote/say/whatever (i.e. a mistarget rather than a typo), then resending with a correction is okay.

If the other PCs involved don't realise you made a mistake and it's something that would change how your character is reacted to or reacts to the scene, I think it's okay to use the OOC command sometimes, as well.            

For example, if a PC emotes sneering and gesturing rudely toward the red-robed templar when the red-skinned elf just walked into the tavern, it's pretty obvious what happened, but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if the person who made the mistake repeated his emote with the correct targeting or did a little 'OOC: Except I was sneering at you, not that dude.'
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "Tarx"...Xio, you just confused me...

I don't hate slow typing. Its just I'm not impatient and tend to just type something, not waiting for a slow typer to respond. Slow typing doesn't annoy me, but I often annoy slow typers.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

I'm confused, too.

But I think typos/misdirects should only be fixed if they're, well, dangerous to leave misdirected. Like kicking templars, or emoting swinging a wicked obsidian longsword at someone when you meant to swing your sparring sword.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I meant that you had a braille keyboard but don't read braille.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.