How much do typos and slow typing bother you?

Started by Anael, February 25, 2007, 02:52:23 PM

I tend to have a lot of typos when I'm...
1. groggy because I just woke up.
2. thinking of the work I'm supposed to be doing.
3. about to fall asleep.

Sadly, when I'm playing arm one or more of those are usually present.

I have a solution though!  "kill <rpfreaks>"  No typos and straight to the point... actually I should alias it and make triggers to capture names just to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

I don't mind slow typing so much as I hate slow replies during netsex when I'm desperately trying to FADE FADE FADE and the other person just doesn't get it.

Seriously.  When you see 'so-and-so kanks you to within an inch of your life then has a smoke and collapses on the bed asleep, away from you', that doesn't mean it's time to emote out the details of your favorite position.  GOSH!
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Quote from: "Hot_Dancer"If someone is taking too long to respond to a scene I accuse them first of being busy in other screens...

Perhaps we should create a spell that instantly kills the character if the player is alt-tab'd into another window in the middle of a conversation or scene.

>cast 'vista un cancel or allow' willowy
Electrical energy surges forth to see if the willowy young man is in another window.
The willowy young man crumples to the ground.
The willowy young man cries out in pain.

-LoD

Being a slow typist and a typoer myself, I can't really comment except that I hate the people who, like me, are trudging along at thirty to fifty WPM and then write these huge long emotes.  I try to avoid that.

But here's a funny typo story.  One night it was late and I was trying to log out of Arm to make it to another MUD for an RPT.  Needless to say, I didn't make it.  I was trying to be quick but I was with someone, so I had to roleplay.

I had just made a comment about washing dishes and my boss on the other screen.  Well, I was in the Arm window and I hit the up key to go west again, but forgot that the buffer was shared between screens.  I ended up entering this really bizarre comment about washing dishes and this guy named Finbar.  I think my partner was ticked ;-)

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"The karma-restricted character says to you, in sirihish:
    "how are you this lovely day"

Example pretty much straight from in-game. That just ain't right.

I know exactly how you feel. <twitch>

i couldn't give a shit about typos. Shit happens. And don't repeat the line to fix a typo i can figure out, ok?

Now, bad spelling, something that's repeated, that'll get old real quick, about as quick as poor grammar.

Slow typing . . . can be dealt with. If you're a slow typer, don't use flowery emotes. And don't type out long anything. I hate sitting and waiting and waiting and going for a drink and coming back to see that you've FINALLY said something.

Get it out in short bursts, so I know you're still AT the keyboard.

'Hello!

:waves

'How are you??

'I'm fine!

'Looks, let's go over there . . .

'And take that guy's boots.

^^^^ that's fine. I'm happy with that. But if you compress it all into one line and it takes you five minutes, I'm walking off OOCly, and maybe ICly too.

p.s.

I never know for sure, so I never get pissed about it, but I'd definitely be pissed if I found out someone is reading their email, playing with their cat, or doing the dishes while interacting with me. Play the fucking game! Emote your surroundings! Don't just react, play the -krath- damn game. That's why you're here, right? Play with your cat while solo spamming skills, not interacting.

Like several someones have said. Typos happen. If anyone says they've never made a mistake, it just means they haven't noticed.

Being a bit slow due to this or that is fine, being consistently slow to the point what should be a ten minute exchange takes thirty and you have to cut it short without finishing because a person is slow.. Not okay. Or getting suspiciously slow during 'intimate' moments (which I didn't personally mind emoting out, but I didn't want to spend an hour doing).
 A while back I had a PC (we will call them PC X) who happened to get involved with another PC (who was involved with a few other PC's who I spoke/speak with via IM, and we all ICly and OOCly knew of these involvements so had no problem speaking OOCly on it and 'comparing notes'). And it was a known fact that every time things started getting busy (Yeah, that kind of busy), PC X would get progressively slower. First it'd be three or four minute pauses. Then five, seven... Ahem. Anyway.

Back to the original topic. Typos don't bother me as much as constant misspelling of words, simple words especially. If it's not someone I interact with often I usually just sigh and move on, but there's been occasion where it wore on my nerves so much, the minute I saw the word, I would immediately toss out an emote with the same word spelled correctly hoping they'd catch on.

More than typos, constant misspells or even slowness, punctuation and capitalization are the worst peeves. Occasionally missing one isn't such a big thing, I've had my fingers get ahead of my mind and hit enter before hitting my punctuation before. But all the time just makes it painful to read and I'll intentionally avoid someone who does it, and seems to make no attempt, whatsoever to do contrary. And just a word for some people.. Capitalizing a word for emphasis on a text game which has no italics is fine. But just Randomly capitalizing words, With no apparent reason, Does not make it better, Nor do You seem More Intelligent.

The end.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

I'd like to shoot Lizzie, anyone with me?
ogues do it from behind

Shut up dude. Lizzie rocks.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "LiquidShell"I'd like to shoot Lizzie, anyone with me?

Dude you are the reason the whole rpt is over.  Lizzie rocks.  Don't you dare to emote ever again.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"Don't you dare to emote ever again.

What are you talking about? I never emoted to begin with!  :lol:

But it's a large peeve of mine when people criticize other's grammar, and spelling, and typing speed, and all of that crap.  I mean this game doesn't have a sign saying *only good writers can play* No it's for everyone, you get the good and the bad.  And games like this eventually help the bad become pretty damn decent.  So yeah, people with Lizzie's philosophy make me want to go berserk.
ogues do it from behind

Thanks for your kind (or less-kind) answers.

QuoteIf it's not someone I interact with often I usually just sigh and move on, but there's been occasion where it wore on my nerves so much, the minute I saw the word, I would immediately toss out an emote with the same word spelled correctly hoping they'd catch on.
I believe that's actually quite a good way to discreetly and politely point out someone's mistake. You know, there's quite a few of us non-native English speakers. While I belive (hope!) I don't misspell words unless it's a typo, I remember I used to use a wrong preposition in some phrase from time to time. If you ever learned some language, especially from a diferent language family than your native language, you'll agree that prepositions are sometimes quite confusing. Anyway, one player noticed that and simply used it in the correct form in one of his emotes. I realized my mistake and never made it again. Simple.

Constant misspellings annoy me too. Constantly omitting capitals or interpunction irritate me even more.

The other day, when I managed to play from a real compugter with a real keyboard, so I was suddenly typing fast, I got impatient about other players' slowness. Shame on me!

A few more notes, though.
Someone being slow at responding doesn't necessarily mean slow typing. It could be multiple Way interactions, for example. Even worse, I remember times when I got so caught up in my PC's thinks that I forgot to keep the interaction with other PCs going.

I agree that in situations like the one I am in, one should adjust his emoting style. For example, when my character lies to someone, I always add in a think or feel to reflect that. Now, when afflicted with this stupid 1x2inch keyboard, I usually just go 'think I lie.' It's straight to the point, gives the necessary information in case an Imm (or someone else) is watching, and it's easy to throw it in without slowing down the actual interaction.

Oh and, I noticed I am getting faster with time!
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

OMG I have a fan club. What a scary notion!

But to gently respond to Liquid, I am not a good writer. I don't expect anyone else to be a good writer, or a fast typist, or a writer who never misspells or typos.

I'll repeat, more clearly because I think you misunderstood:

Roleplaying with someone who regularly and consistently takes a long time to do something poorly is annoying.

That's really all I was saying. And I said it, because someone asked.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I can't really fault anyone for making typos.  For some reason I type things out a bit too quickly so I make a lot of really stupid typos.

Or the worst is I'll type something out and decide to change a word or two and not stop to think that I've totally screwed up the grammatical structure of  what I had typed.  That happens to me more than I'd like to admit.  I bet people playing with my PC probably think English is my second language.

I always notice it too right after I hit enter, and then I just want to run away and spam hide.

The only pet peeve I have when it comes to typos is when people constantly go OOC to correct themselves.  99% of the time this is completely unnecessary as everyone and their dog is going to know exactly what you meant.

As for slow typists I don't really mind.  What I do mind is someone who spends a huge amount of time making certain they have the most flowery emote possible.  

My opinion is emoting should be descriptive, but if you're taking two to three minutes to craft the perfect emote when you could have just taken ten seconds to write out a concise and to the point emote it drives me crazy.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: "Lizzie"
Roleplaying with someone who regularly and consistently takes a long time to do something poorly is annoying.

That's really all I was saying. And I said it, because someone asked.

That's what gets me, in the end. I don't mind waiting a minute or two in between emotes if your emotes are good or even just decent, but waiting for long stretches of time for an emote that's poorly-spelled, fragmented all to shit, and difficult to understand makes me want to spend my in-game time elsewhere.

The only thing that makes me want to get up and leave the room the second I see it are long emotes that ramble on incoherently with no breaks for dialogue, no punctuation, and no point.

Opening the footlocker pushing it open pulling out a bundle of cloth, the tall wavy-haired merchant hombre gets his pair of frilly white silk sleeves from a white bone footlocker.

Unfolding his pair of frilly white silk sleeves the tall wavy-haired merchant hombre examines them for a moment then hands them over to you.

Handing the fabric over smiling to you with a wink, the tall wavy-haired merchant hombre says, in sirihish:
  "These are expensive I assure you they are still the most comfortable sleeves you will ever wear would you like to try them on"

Punctuated even a little to break it up, this wouldn't be bad roleplay. But it's jarring to read anything longer than a line--especially dialogue--that's utterly lacking punctuation other than what the game automatically inputs.

And also, a word of apology on behalf of at least myself--when I first started playing Arm I did a lot of random capitalisation because in my native language you capitalise all nouns. I've weaned myself of this but it still sneaks through from time to time.  :oops:
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I don't mind slow typers.  What I do mind is people who have a lack of respect for the RL time they might be taking of the other character.  It can be a fine line between the two, but I've seen slow typers who do great emotes when we were just chilling together, suddenly stop the emotes when we start to actually do something together.  I find this good, otherwise I might be spending an additional RL half an hour getting something done because the other person can't type fast.  Whereas other people continue to emote, or gap the sequencing of any commands I can see several minutes between each, which to me can equate to a simple lack of respect for the other person's RL time.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Fathi"
And also, a word of apology on behalf of at least myself--when I first started playing Arm I did a lot of random capitalisation because in my native language you capitalise all nouns. I've weaned myself of this but it still sneaks through from time to time.  :oops:

I used to not capitalize at all when I started paying, I think. In German, all nouns are capitalized as well and since that's a bit annoying, no one really does it on the internet.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

I played a mud where it required gnomes to type like this.  "Iwenttothemallandhadsomelunchitwasgoodmmhmmmwouldyouliketogoplaywithme."
Standard rp, if you didn't do it, you weren't a gnome.  After seeing that for a few months none of this really seems to bother me.  You kids just like to moan too much.
ogues do it from behind

I started that trend on a mud, "Oblivion", and it got carried over to a clone called "Dawn of Time".

Boy, they sure sucked... But playing Illusionist Gnomes -is- fairly entertaining.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

I first started mudding when I was about 10 or so. Hack and slash then RPI. But anyway. When I first started, I was slow as hell, my spelling was shit (still is) but look at it this way, im now 21 and because of time mudding, I managed to put the skills i learnt to good use - and paid for my education (a total of 10,500) with data entery jobs in about 4 months.

I dont care if your slow as hell, trouble spelling, whatever the case - Just as long as over time I can see improvement.

Typo's never bother me, mainly because I'm extremely guilty of them myself.

Slow typers on the other hand... ergh.

Funny story though: I once walked into the Gaj and almost as soon as I emoted sitting down at the bar, another player starts interacting with my character.  His first reply was fast... after that it slowed down to almost 10 mintues per emote.  I got so fed up, I just left my cilent on while I went out to go pick up a pack of smokes.  When I came back 8 minutes later, he had yet to reply.

I think waiting ten minutes for a reply is not about slow typing, but about not-paying-attention or doing-something-else.

I tend to type slowly when I am trying to express something what is hard for my English. I could be terribly slow then - but I doubt my answer in such case takes more than three minutes anyway.

Misspellings aren't a problem usually, what bugs me is when people talk like this.

<Shield Wall>

Noob exits to the north.

Other Noob says "hay dood w8 up"

It's not even the horrible typing, it's the lack of punctuation, I could deal a BIT(Not much) with the typing, but lack of caps and punctuation is overt laziness and is an easy way to make me dislike you.
f Cthulhu was a woman, would he be named Cathy?

I'm glad I've never seen someone say that IC.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.