How much do typos and slow typing bother you?

Started by Anael, February 25, 2007, 02:52:23 PM

The question is exactly what the title says.

The reason why I ask is that -due to the fact that I travel a whole lot- I am doomed to play almost exclusively via my PDA, which makes typing slow and brings all the pains of raw telnet - it's true that I see an echo of what I type, but with too many actions, emotes and discussions in the room around my PC, it's near impossible to follow these echoes, which results in rather frequent typos that sometimes average up to a typo per two emotes/says etc.

Does this waste your game experience too much or do you think it's fine?

Oh and, a sincere apology to those who witnessed the results of this already.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

If they mispell a word and I read it aloud and I figure it out, then nothing is wrong. If they type slow, it doesn't matter, unless it is in a really life threatening situation.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

They don't bother me much.  What does bother me is when people OOC, adding a whole other line, to correct something where the intent is obvious.

As long as they aren't so egregious that it looks as if you shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard, I'm not bothered.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Typos don't bother me as much as constant misspellings. Slow typing bothers me, but only because I type very fast. What's the absolute most annoying, is a combination - where someone wants to type out a really long emote, but types slow, and then misspells half the words. That's when I usually come up with some IC excuse to find something else to do, somewhere else.

A typo here and there doesn't bother me at all though. When it becomes evident that it isn't a typo, but instead a blaring, repeated, constantly used misspelling, then yeah it gets jarring.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Typos do not bother me at all.  No matter how frequent they are.

I can't stand to slow responses.  If someone I interact is responding slowly (whether due to slow typing or some other reasons) I look for an excuse to cut it short.  And I try to avoid interacting with slow responding characters.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Slow typing doesn't bother be that much unless it's really, really slow. As long as  I don't have to wait several minutes for each reply, I'm fine. The occasional typo doesn't get to me either, but a player who is truly bad at spelling does. One of the most jarring things, to me, is broken english.
b]YB <3[/b]

I don't care about typos at all, unless they constantly correct them, either by OOC or re-entering. Something I think should only be done if its something that really can get you killed. Bad spelling, Heh, I'm horrid at spelling, makes me feel good to know that others are as well. :)

Very slow response...UGH, Like another said, I will find a reason to go someplace else.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I'm a pretty fast player, so slow people tend to bug me from time to time, however I try to patient. Typo's don't bother...spelling mistakes tend to jar me a little but I don't judge people for them, I know we have a lot of players who don't speak english as a first language and they a damn good job of making it seem otherwise.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

After taking a significate about of time off (couple of months) between characters, I become both a slow typer and a really bad speller and poor emoter. Nothing extreme but i myself still notice. Therefore i'm usually pretty kind to others i find that have the same problem so long as i see them trying.

I do sometimes notice that some people begin ignoring or avoiding my character at the begining because of it just like some people avoid obvious new PC or newbies. Still like with all things, eventually i start to get back into the swing of things, and lo and behold its usually those who ignore you that seem to be the slowest and worse typers. No worries though i take pity on them too.

Moral of the Story is:

Don't judge other, lest you be judge in return.

Seriously be patient with people esspecially if you can tell they are trying hard to RP.

Is answer to the OP's question:

Not nearly as much as crashes during an RPT.

All I can say is.. I'm damned glad I don't type slow, typo often, or spell it "Sargent" (which happens to annoy me as well). If I did any of those, I may never have anyone to rp with! Shame on you! Shame shame!

What bothers me isn't so much when people type slow, or typo often, or misspell. It's when they type slow, AND typo often, AND misspell. Imagine a very typical common scene:

Your gang has been planning to take down the dreaded elf-lord for the past two months. You've finally located his lair and are now gathered to leave your city with your unit of uber buff gladiator-assassins, because your secret elf spy has just informed you that the elf-lord is too busy having sex with his gith-mate to run quite yet, and will be available for killing until mid-day tomorrow (game time).

Everything is going smoothly, but Amos is missing. So you way him. Five minutes later:

Amos psis you, "im geting my kank meet u in teh stables"

So you wait - 10 minutes, a full game hour, not including the time it's taken for him to respond his psi to you.

He shows up and tosses in the obligatory emote, which takes another 5 minutes:

Walking into teh stables Amos smiles and waves and reaches for his tiket from the figure in the dark, hooded sandcloth cloak.

Amos oocs, "lol woops try again"

5 minutes later:

Walking into teh stables Amos smiles and waves and reaches for his tiket from the figure in the dusty dark, hooded sandcloth cloak.

Amos oocs, "hehehe"

In the meantime, the elf-lord has gotten laid, twice, and is smoking a fat one and thinking about going for a run tomorrow. And you are still in the stables, with you thumb up your ass, trying hard to keep from stabbing said thumb in Amos's throat.

He is trying, sure. I give him credit for that. But he's also holding up the ONE chance the gang has had in the past two months to finally kill the evil dreaded elf-lord, and who knows when the gang will have that chance again, if ever. It makes you want to just..

ooc Just get your fucking ticket and stop trying to emote.

But you don't because that would be unkind, since the guy really -is- sincerely trying. So - eventually you get halfway up the main road to the other side of the world, but it's already almost mid-day and the elf-lord's player always logs out this time of day so you blew your chance because Amos, knowing that he's a slow typist, and a constant typo-maker, has decided to keep trying even when he knows that this RPT was dependant on the elf-lord's player's availability.

So not only do we all have to miss out on the chance, we miss out on it, while having to endure the endless typos and misspellings of the one who caused us to miss it.

This - does not make for fun roleplay. And sometimes - you have to just not try to dish out emotes, get your kank, and join the group. You can emote plenty on the way from point A to point B while someone else is leading, and people will be more inclined to appreciate them, typos and all, when they aren't harried from having to wait.

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I didn't know slow typers existed in Armageddon and typos don't bother me. If someone is taking too long to respond to a scene I accuse them first of being busy in other screens or potentially using psi to set up some scheme against my character in the silence.

Then my pc vacates the area.

Hot_Dancer
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Hecks, most times I typo, I say get on with your bad self. I typo more when I type fast, it's usually cause I'm not paying attention to myself and busy watchin' other stuff... conversations and junk. I think it's cool you're deticated enough to play from your PDA.  I think it's all good, unless you continuously misspell the same words often and are obviously tied up with something else outside of the game and intentionally hold up the rp for everyone else that'll make me a bit annoyed.

I know I'm not perfect so I try not to be picky and overbearing about it, cause that'll just make folks not wanna be your PC's friend, cause you can't get past a lil bad grammar and some iffy typing skillz.  :D
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

I am a pretty fast typer but I can't spell worth a shit. When I'm high or drunk the typing gets slower and the typos get worse, though I try not to get involved in RPT's at these times. I can agree with really slow people getting annoying, but as far as typos go, I am on the band wagon that if I can tell what you meant it's all good. And yeah, I hate people who correct their stuff unless it was a seriously egregious error.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: "fourTwenty"When I'm high or drunk the typing gets slower and the typos get worse, though I try not to get involved in RPT's at these times.

...probably shouldn't spar either, just in case you miss someone's "disengage" message and kill them...
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "moab"
Quote from: "fourTwenty"When I'm high or drunk the typing gets slower and the typos get worse, though I try not to get involved in RPT's at these times.

...probably shouldn't spar either, just in case you miss someone's "disengage" message and kill them...

Heh-heh. :? If your refering to the incident I think your refering to - that's my bad. But, I was completly sober, gotta blame that one on the spam. Besides, I check mercy compulsivly so hopefully I wont kill anyone.

Edited to add: Also, it really helps if you shout break or something. Instead of just relying on the "This dude-here stops attacking you". Which is like, one small little line and hard to notice.
This dude-here shouts:
                       "BREAK"
is a little eaiser to pick up on. But again, My bad. :roll:
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

lol.  This is totally going to get deleted, but np.  If we're talkin' about the same thing - well someone may have emoted stopping combat.  :D

No RL hard feelings.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

If someone's responses are really slow, I generally assume lag. Mostly because I'm a fairly fast typist with a shitty connection.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I think this thread makes the situation seem worse than it is. I have never had a problem with someone being too slow a typer to play with, unless they were having connection trouble. Everyone typoes. I'm sure I meet my own quota. Unless someone is typoing really bad, and frequently, I won't pay notice. If I notice, what can I do other than try to show by example? If it's a single word over and over, I'll have my character use the word the way common usage would suggest. I've also had this done to me, and it actually made me chuckle.
Is it that big a deal? No. The best thing I've found to make someone better with typing, emoting, spelling, and description is Armageddon.

The only stylistic choice that I find to be really jarring is the refusal to capitalize, despite the examples everywhere in the game. Sorta makes Arm feel a little less like an RP intensive story, and more like an AIM conversation. But again, I'm usually just content to be immersed in the environment with another player. Rather play with, than without.

Quote from: "Apocalyptic_Cow"The only stylistic choice that I find to be really jarring is the refusal to capitalize, despite the examples everywhere in the game. Sorta makes Arm feel a little less like an RP intensive story, and more like an AIM conversation.

Typos I don't mind. They happen...even to me! :)  But players who just won't capitalize or use punctuation...ARGH. That's laziness.

The karma-restricted character says to you, in sirihish:
    "how are you this lovely day"

Example pretty much straight from in-game. That just ain't right.

Oh yeah, and if you typo or mis-target, please don't OOCly apologize or correct it, OR ICly re-throw the emote or say, unless it's so horrendous that the roleplay can't continue without your correction.

As to slowness...usually when I'm RPing with just one other person, no matter how fast they are, I have to be doing something else as well, like having a Way conversation, or surfing the web, or doing the dishes, or watching a documentary on TV. So do your best, but the truth of the matter is, in text we're all too slow.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Oh yeah, and if you typo or mis-target, please don't OOCly apologize or correct it, OR ICly re-throw the emote or say, unless it's so horrendous that the roleplay can't continue without your correction.

As to slowness...usually when I'm RPing with just one other person, no matter how fast they are, I have to be doing something else as well, like having a Way conversation, or surfing the web, or doing the dishes, or watching a documentary on TV. So do your best, but the truth of the matter is, in text we're all too slow.

That sums up my feeling right there.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I don't care about typos we all do it as long as what you are typing is legiable.

As far as slow typing I can't stand leaders who type slow and force you to be in prolonged situations or people who constantly go AFK in the middle of "passionate" or "tense" situations.

Likewise when the game goes down in those situations - that sucks too X_X

Slow typing doesnt bother me unless its the slow typing associated with setting up so much color with each sentence that a normal conversation with such a pc would take the whole IC day. I use to OOCly cringe every time I saw this one pc come. They were VERY descriptive about the flow of the cloth and the glistening of the sweat, dont get me wrong. VERY nicely worded talk emotes but it would be about the maxe you could do and still get a few words out before the next one. Maybe it would have been more bearable if each one didnt seem to take about 5mins to set up. I would seriously get up, go to the bathroom, let the dogs out and come back with a drink between my emote and that pc's next.

*chuckles*

Typos dont bother me too much as long as I can make out what they are saying. If I cant, well, my pc might just take what was said wrong just like in RL when you cant understand someone. :)
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"