Hi, I'm new.

Started by Florencia, February 16, 2007, 09:56:16 PM

Hi, I'm Florencia, and I'm new here. /wave

I have a bit of a funny story to tell everyone...

So I made this new character, and started out in the Labyrinth. I saw this dark, lean man standing there and tried to greet him. I had no idea which commands did what, so I started typing things like, /talk, /greet, /wave, to see if he would talk to me. Well... the last thing I typed was /hi in an attempt to say Hi. I had noo idea (I'm assuming) that Hi was short for hit. xD So this guy basically kicks my ass.. and all the while I'm typing, /run, /flee, /surrender, /beg. xD

He knocked me unconscious, and I'm waiting for my life to recover... and I'm wanted in my home city now. So... this should be very interesting. xD

But yah, I love the game so far. =D I had a really good laugh over that, even though the story makes me look like a total newb. xD (I've played MUDs before, I swear it!  :oops:)

I strongly urge you to get in contact with one of the helpers (could someone post that link?  I don't know it off hand), so that they can help you get the hang of the command differences and the general feel of the game.

If worse comes to worse, look at the contact information for me at the bottom of this post and send me a message, and I'll help out how I can.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I sense much potential in this one.

Welcome to Armageddon!

P.S. the command you wanted was "tell" as in ">tell lean Hello there!"
Might not have been a player, though, in which case he wouldn't be good conversation.

While normally, it isnt that good of an idea to post IC information of a character that's still alive, I gotta admit ... that WAS kind of funny =)

I thought it was an NPC, and that if I talked to him he'd give me some information about the area or about the game... I guess he had other things in mind though. xD

Whoops... I got disconnected and died.

WELL, aren't you a darling. I'm sure everyone else agrees.  Here, have this link.

http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php

And for the record, if you were doing so, we don't preface commands with a forward slash here.  Just type them right into your buffer, no token needed except for the emote command.

flee goes in as flee, and so on.

To talk to people, you'll want to use the "say" and "tell" commands.  This will allow you to communicate with other players.

tell lean Hello, please don't rob me.

Also, some of the people that you see may not be actually alive (though you should treat them as such).  If you've played other muds you'll be familiar with the concept of npcs, well, many of the figures you see standing around are just that.  Uninhabited but still completely real props to give life to the game world.

Welcome to Armageddon.
size=9]go tell that lonesome liar
go tell that midnight rider
tell the gamblin', ramblin' backslider
tell them God Almighty gonna cut 'em down[/size]

Don't use that slash when trying commands.

' or " or say for talking out loud to no one specific.
tell red or tell Amos for talking to the red-haired guy or Amos.
If you add a question mark at the end of the sentence, it will automatically turn your say or tell into an ask.

Use the helpers.

Read the newbie pages.
Read the "if you are coming from another game" page.
Read the mechanics page.

Armageddon isn't the kind of game you can just log into, without having read any information first. You really need to know something about the commands and syntax and the general layout of things first.

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Oh yeah, and read the helpfiles.  They...help. (What a concept.)
size=9]go tell that lonesome liar
go tell that midnight rider
tell the gamblin', ramblin' backslider
tell them God Almighty gonna cut 'em down[/size]

Yeah, I was using the / command. No wonder nothing was working.

I read most of the character help files... Didn't read any of the command files because I thought it'd be like other MUDs. Guess I learned otherwise the hard way though. xD

Well, I guess it wasn't too hard... At least I got a good laugh over it. As did most of my friends.

That's the cutest n00b story ever  :D
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

QuoteFlorencia is a man.

Damn.  Why did I bother answering this thread?

*snickers*
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Malken"That's the cutest n00b story ever  :D

Reminds me of the time I accidentally did this just because I was dense and wanted to see what the command did.

>remove boots

You stop using your pair of chalton leather boots.

>junk boots

Ok.
You discard your pair of chalton leather boots.

>:looks around.

>think Where the shit did the boots go?

:( Goodbye newb boots.

Edit: Actually, I think it happened more like that.

Cute newb stories thread ahoy!
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

NO YOU DID NOT!!!

You really junked your boots?!?!?!

You are supposed to get them stolen!
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"NO YOU DID NOT!!!

You really junked your boots?!?!?!

You are supposed to get them stolen!

Should have played it off like that.

>:watches as ~npc runs off with her boots.

>think -distressesd :(

Welcome!

Quote from: "Florencia"I thought it was an NPC, and that if I talked to him he'd give me some information about the area or about the game... I guess he had other things in mind though. xD

Some NPCs do that.  The command is 'talk'.

e.g.

talk <keyword> name
talk <keyword> topics
talk <keyword> rumors
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: "flurry"Welcome!

Quote from: "Florencia"I thought it was an NPC, and that if I talked to him he'd give me some information about the area or about the game... I guess he had other things in mind though. xD

Some NPCs do that.  The command is 'talk'.

e.g.

talk <keyword> name
talk <keyword> topics
talk <keyword> rumors

Just be sure you're not sitting at a table when you use the command, or else you'll just say, "npc keyword name" at your table.

Howdie.

I miss being a newb. :( I don't even have any funny n00b stories either, damnit. I just remember how cool it was when I 'got the hang' of the game but knew so little of the world that when people talked to me about the harshness of spice-sifting in Red Storm or dirty Allanak I had the most amazing mental images and ideas of the 'exotic' place.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Funny newb stories? Here's one, and it'll teach you a lesson, too.  :) This happened a little over a year ago.

Imagine the typical Warrior/Thug Human in Allanak..just made. You get all your gear. You get slated for a interview to get into the Wyverns (the guards of a noble house in the south). Awesome, everything is going fine. You head out to the dunes..

..and proceed to kill a few scarabs.

Not funny? I'm not done yet.

Anyways, someone left behind a bunch of kank guts- I had just stopped playing a MUD where when you killed a monster, it left behind body parts/brains/guts for you to eat. I say 'Awesome!', and put it in my pack.

Fast forward to my interview..

Great, so there's an advisor at my interview, and the at-the-time lieutenant. To the side, at the bar, there's a in-power PC..I think he was a militia guy, but hey. I don't remember. It's not important. Anyways, they ask me a bunch of questions that I can't recall, and after a few minutes, I say,

"One second. I'm getting hungry."

So, I open up my pack, get my scarab guts, and eat them. Of course, little did I know that they're poisonous. Great. The guy at the bar flips out and RPs leaving (with a bunch of VNPCs). I RP falling off my chair and rolling around..I think. The Borsailis? They shake their heads, give me a curing pill, and tell me to join the T'zai Byn.

Moral of the story? Don't eat guts.

I was playing that Borsail advisor in WWYD's story, I think. I just have to say that it was HILARIOUS.

Welcome to the game Florencia. :)

One of my most embarrassing stories was,

I was playing this Kuraci aide and I kept begging my boss to teach me cavilish.

And then I found out I could already speak it perfectly because I was guild_merchant and didn't know about skills yet, so then I got in trouble.

Also this one time I passed out using the Way and an imm saved me!  But not before an elf stole my boots.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"Also this one time I passed out using the Way and an imm saved me!

Only one time? When I was still a true-blue noob, I passed out from using the Way...twice in one day...both times in front of templars.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Hi. Welcome aboard. Like others said, hit up the helpers hard. They like it.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Yeah. I was running to meet a Templar once, it was completely urgent, so I'm in contact with him with 20 stun left and im running down to meet him and I pass out it was like this.

You suffer from use of the way.

You suffer from use of the way.
Your vision fades to black.

So anyways, the templar actually found and dragged me to the place where I was supposed to go ;)

Passing out from the Way isn't just for newbies.

I had a long-lived character who was seperated from his companions in the desert and was Waying them to try and figure out which way to go.  A huge sandstorm hit, though, so he Wayed some humorous remark about not being able to see... and then he passed out.  Fortunately he awoke to find his companions had found and rescued him.

Being the senior most clan member on the expedition, though, he couldn't let his men think he did something so foolish as to Way himself to sleep, so he said something spooked his kank and he fell off and hit his head.  Not sure if they believed him, but it was worth a try.  :)