Hi, I'm new.

Started by Florencia, February 16, 2007, 09:56:16 PM

My first PC had a really vague background and I hadn't actually specified her point of origin any more than "from a village near Allanak". When a templar was sponsoring me for the Atrium and asked where I was from, I had to go OOC and ask him to list some nearby villages so I could pick one and say that I came from there. It was pretty embarassing.

Passing out from the Way in public places, of course. I find that most players are good at keeping people in newbie clothes safe when it happens. I never got robbed, but often dragged to a safe location to recover. Thanks!

I was genuinely OOCly scared the first time I encountered a 'rinther in the Barrel. The player must have been laughing at my paranoia - I think I left the bar to sit at a table further away from him and scowled at him for a while. I ended up roleplaying with him regularly.

Losing my first PC, over 15 days played and nearly graduated from the Atrium at that point, to crime code and not knowing about nosave (or how steal worked) :( Instant death from 3 soldiers isn't fun.
b]YB <3[/b]

well.... Im a bit late on this but.... WELCOME TO ARM! :D
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

My newbie story:

I had made a young sneaky character in the rinth and was having a grand old time exploring those mysterious twisting alleys and solo-emoting all sorts of bizarre situations.

So I happen to run into an elf which freaks me out a little bit, but I agree to come along to the bar with him.  This entire encounter gets progressively creepier and creepier for me, nothing that would bother me now, but in those days everything was new so I didn't know how the world works or what to expect.  He asks me about my parents which freaks me right out because just before this I had recruited an even more newbie-seeming southsider who was wandering in the rinth to come help me "kill my parents" an all-emote scene jumping and killing my VNPC folks.

Next the elf wants me to sell some bloodied leathers in the Bazaar and again, I find this to be far scarier and more disturbing than I would nowadays.  I think I saw the world more realistically when I was a newbie because I hadn't started to take things for granted yet.  So I take the goods, but I'm terrified of getting crimflagged in Salarr selling clothes from a murder victim, so I run back to westside and emote pitching them in a pile of trash.  I felt pretty guilty in retrospect having let him down.  I definitely failed that loyalty test, but I died not long after that anyway.

Still, that was my first awesome scene in Armageddon, the moment when I got truly hooked and realized "I've got to stick around here."  The elf in question was a great emoter and did an awesome job of setting the scene and I want to thank whoever was playing him, as well as the other newbie that was a good enough sport to come along on my virtual murder adventure.  I'm sure going to miss the rinth in New Arm.

Quote from: "joyofdiscord"I think I saw the world more realistically when I was a newbie because I hadn't started to take things for granted yet.

Hymwen's comment about being genuinely OOCly scared when meeting that 'rinther in the Barrel made me think the same thing. My first noob encounter that had me both ICly and OOCly freaking out was with a templar (one of the times that day that I passed out in front of the templars, and then the scene was after that). My hands were shaking in RL during that scene. I still go back and read that log sometimes because it was just so awesome, and after that I was completely addicted to ARM. Being a noob was GOOD.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"
Quote from: "LauraMars"Also this one time I passed out using the Way and an imm saved me!

Only one time? When I was still a true-blue noob, I passed out from using the Way...twice in one day...both times in front of templars.

Wow, haha, what a newbie!! =D
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

You want to talk n00b?  With one of my earlier characters, I palmed an Oash armbands off of some poor Oashi that was arguing with a half-giant, so I egged on the half-giant until he killed the Oashi and then got splattered by soldiers running in and going nutzo due to crim-code.  So, yeah, I palmed the armbands off right then and then slipped them in something when the Templar walked in and I acted all innocent...and then used the armbands to 'sneak' into the Oash compound to steal a few things.  Hell, I was roleplaying it, which was the best, since I was trying to literally 'sneak' past the guard after unlocking and opening the door.  He clubbed me a couple times eventually.  It was awesome.

Then I got ninja-jacked by a heap of soldiers due to crim-code myself.  It was sad.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Edit: Sorry that was mean.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Mmmm, yeah. I wonder just how many plots began with the noble house recruits getting knocked down due to way and losing their armbands. It happened once to me, and twice ... by me alone.

addition:

Quote from: "LauraMars"Edit: Sorry that was mean.

You're much more soft hearted then some of your characters, LauraMars.

Quote from: "LauraMars"
Quote from: "Gimfalisette"
Quote from: "LauraMars"Also this one time I passed out using the Way and an imm saved me!

Only one time? When I was still a true-blue noob, I passed out from using the Way...twice in one day...both times in front of templars.

Wow, haha, what a newbie!! =D

Completely. And man was it fun. Props to those two templars for being awesome and getting me addicted.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.