Numbers are down, what can we do about it?

Started by Gimfalisette, January 26, 2007, 01:37:51 PM

Actually, the point of the thread was, "Numbers are down, what can we do about it?" which implies a desire to see an increase in the number of people logged in and thus able to interact with.

I figure that people can help the numbers go up by being part of the numbers going up.  People do log in, type 'who' and see how many people are logged in...and if they feel there aren't enough people logged in, they quit out.  THIS is a problem.

Yes, voting is important, but that only has to do with new players.  What do we do about our current players that aren't logging in?  Why are they not logging in when they have a limited amount of time to get something done of lasting value so that it may be included in Arm 2.0?  These are issues and part of what this thread is about that can't be answered by voting.  We want all of our experienced players playing as well as having new blood come in.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I have yet to see a suggestion about it, beside "Raise an army and conquer the Halflings" or.. "I'm having a great time actually and you all suck if you're not currently playing the game" ...

We need an insane amount of RPTs for the last few four months or so.. Else people are not interested in the usual "I just want a normal character that lives is life by the days" plot and they are not gullible enough either to believe that we have the time to do something major unless they are already established characters.

The only hope for newly created characters to be part of something major is if there's already something and someone making something happens.. If all the major players die, then there isn't any new ones and not enough time for new ones to be major players in the game.

So for the last four months, I think we need to see the major plots being revealed to the masses and something insane needs to start happening, so that we have a feeling that if we don't log in we might miss something...
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: "Son of a Gortok"There is no problem to be a part of, spawnloser. The only thing is that numbers are down, and I have to say, "oh well". I don't mind playing with 100 people or with 10. I figure numbers will go up when the playerbase generally wants it to. That can be as late as when Arm2 comes, or later.

That said, the best thing we can do is keep ourselves on the front page of TMS, in my opinion.

I have to agree heartily with spawnloser, there IS a problem, and it's a significant one. Having 25% fewer people playing the game has made a big impact on a lot of things. While it's lovely to be willing to play with 100 people or 10 people...10 people isn't enough to get particular things done. For example, take a look around at the contents of the local shops: Less stuff is being sold to them, meaning there is less potentially useful stuff to buy. Look around at the leadership positions in the game: A significant number are vacant. The taverns are much more often empty than they were before, and when there is people in them, it's probably the same three to five people you see in there all the time.

Voting really won't solve the problem, because the players we need right now are the veteran players who've decided not to play for whatever reasons. Veteran players are the ones who take up leadership positions, drive plots, provide stuff for other players to do, OR are able to be the integral players in those plots, the go-getters, the competent minions, etc. New players are great, we need them, but they generally just don't know enough or have the confidence to provide what the game needs right now.

I've been tracking the game's login numbers, as I said before, and I think I'm definitely noticing that weeks in which we have RPTs, the player numbers go up by a fair amount--20 or so unique logins. So that is one suggestion I'd make to other players: Put on some RPTs! Logging in oneself will also help, as well as bugging one's friends to come and play again. Another thing I am doing is trying to spend some time each day around peak play hours just tavern-sitting. I hate to do this if it's just me sitting around idling, but I'm willing to do it a little if it makes the game seem more alive and encourages interaction.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Voting really won't solve the problem, because the players we need right now are the veteran players who've decided not to play for whatever reasons. Veteran players are the ones who take up leadership positions, drive plots, provide stuff for other players to do, OR are able to be the integral players in those plots, the go-getters, the competent minions, etc. New players are great, we need them, but they generally just don't know enough or have the confidence to provide what the game needs right now.

I wouldn't discount voting or newbies in this regard.  There have been many newbies who have shown a lot of leadership and have been critical in driving roleplay and plots.  New blood is very important to this game.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Quote from: "Belenos"I wouldn't discount voting or newbies in this regard.  There have been many newbies who have shown a lot of leadership and have been critical in driving roleplay and plots.  New blood is very important to this game.

Being technically a newbie myself, I'm certainly not discounting them/us. I am, however, saying that's not all we need right now. While newbies -can- jump into leadership roles and -can- drive roleplay and plots, that's not really the norm. It seems to take a year or two, usually at least, for people who are newer to the game to get to that level of ability/desire.

Because we don't have a "number of new accounts" figure on the game stats page for each week, I also can't correlate that to anything that's happening or not happening in the game in my number tracking. Would be cool to have that so we can see collectively what the results of our efforts are.

But my sense is (from tracking numbers and reading posts and the few players I know OOCly) that, right now, the people who are missing from the game are veteran players. And that's hurting us.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

There are several experienced roleplayers who just haven't found or tried Armageddon yet, but could create a solid concept and have a long-lived character who could move into leadership in their first role. I did with my first PC, and so did many other people I know. We need vets, yes, but newbies are the lifeblood of the game.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "spawnloser"Ever thought that you were part of the problem, Bebop?  You haven't been logging in...which meant that numbers were already going down.  Others could have noticed that the numbers were down a little bit...and stopped showing up to.

To everyone that bitches about numbers being down, one of the first things you can do to fix it is log in your own damn self and stay logged in as long as you would have without numbers being down or people not being around you much.

That sounds like a great idea, after all I don't play a game to have fun.  I log my "damn self" in to interact alone.  The problem is obviously not various other reasons that are resulting in a loss of players or loss of desire to play.  Obviously, the solution is people logging in even if they don't feel like it.

K...

Well we can definitely be sure I don't play for the inviting atmosphere on the GDB either.

Bebop kind of has a point.. I've noticed that the more I read the GDB lately, the less I feel like playing..

Don't read the GDB. I tend to skim through lots these days except staff announcements and topics that look interesting. It's my personal Digg system.

My own observations on how being aware of Arm2's end changed my behavior.

First of all, whenever I create a character that ended up with average stats, read not poor stats, any stat that's just not speckfuckintacilur saddens me. Usually I dont pay all that much attention to them, infact I never paid attention to stats all that much untill I learned of 1.arm ending. But now, I look at those 'average' stats and think just how less of an impact would my character have on the world's ending. Sure stats are not the only thing that would provide influence, by they do help. It's kind of sad that I pay so much attention to them, especially since I remember that I never did before, but it's a fact.

Perhaps that is one of the reasons people choose not to play. Not because they're saddened with the whole concept, but they're waiting to come up with an ingenious character plot that they mean to drive untill the end. A character plot that's perfect in ways of depth, aswell as stats.

I noticed there is less players around lately. I also noticed it is harder for me to run long-term plots, because it's not sure I'll manage to finish them before closing. And honestly, I am not sure what to do to change it. I already spent some time working on things which got "postponed" (which in current situation probably means "are never going to happen"), which is somewhat discouraging.

I know we are still getting a new players, so voting is sure a good thing. I also agree that "leaders" should aim to run more RPTs and more plots to attract current playerbase. But I doubt that leaders alone could change this.

I think the only good idea, however perhaps said in harsh words, is to "not leave Arm yourself". If you want to see more players around you, work on it - be around, start and drive plots etc. Do not sit in Barracks or some tavern idling - not that idling itself is wrong, but if you want to change the current situation, this does not help. Take what the mud offers you now (even if it is "meeting with the same people over and over") and work with what you have.

Nobody else than you yourself is responsible for your own fun. It was like that always, now it is just more visible in day-by-day playing.

Kudos to all players and IMMs who play/work on Arm1. I am meeting the same characters day by day and I know some of these are hard trying to keep things moving, which helps me personally to feed my addiction to the game.

All IMHO, of course.

My suggestion, while probably trite, is to give your character some teeth and start driving plots. If you're confused, join a clan, and even if you aren't a leader start pumping ideas into their heads. Push for clan RPTs just to get players together and interacting.  Try harder than ever to get on top.

If you have an idea for plots, and you're missing BODIES for plots, or you want to make sure it happens "before the game ends", consider sending an e-mail to unclanned, for example.

I'm willing to do my part to fill in the gaps if it'll get you guys to play.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Ultimately, I think as long as the Staff hold true to their end of this whole deal, namely, to have a world set up and ready to go July 1st, we'll be alright. Yes, numbers are down, yes, people are mad and so forth and so on, but I don't think that says a thing about our Armageddon fervor. We're just in a sticky situation.

Plug on, and you may discover that the End is really only the Beginning.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Wow, friday night. Barely over 30. Rough stuff.
And when they say that I am dead and gone, it won't be further from the truth..."

If there's any plots going on I still think it's too secret... I hope the exciting stuff for the rest of us is coming soon :)

I'm having a hard time finding motivation to play right now, but I'm seriously amped over reborn.  :shock: I'm glad the imms are really showing so much concern for their players, I don't really think it's warranted, we'll come back, we always do.
ogues do it from behind

Another problem I noticed lately: lot of plots are started simply because someone met with someone and... something happened. It is indeed much harder to start plots if you are all alone, solo-rping/idling for hours.

What could solve that? I think the same thing I mentioned before: do not give up, keep meeting other people, keep playing. Seriously, it is worth it.

Quote from: "Morfeus"What could solve that? I think the same thing I mentioned before: do not give up, keep meeting other people, keep playing. Seriously, it is worth it.

Plots a plenty are in the works or in the planning stage.  It should be an interesting time for all at one time or the other.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Just logged on close to peak hours on a Saturday 28 people.  Wow.

I haven't even noticed the drop in people..

You "oh gosh the who count is so low" people are only hurting things.

Don't check who, just play the game.  You'll meet people.  Get involved with them instead of staring into your ale.

Quote from: "Bebop"Just logged on close to peak hours on a Saturday 28 people.  Wow.

Comments like this are not all that useful.  For one, one moment in one day does not a trend make. For another, purely snarky, negative comments tend to poison people's opinions.   If you want do do something about it, stay in the game and create some activity.

I'm not seeing a slow down. If anything, my area is surprisingly active, considering it's always been real slow.

EDIT: Nevermind just saw the same point brought up on an earlier date.