A sound idea

Started by bloodfromstone, January 19, 2007, 11:05:07 AM

Hey guys. I had a thought for a nifty command, but it needs fleshing out and swift, cruel, critical justice, both of which I figure I can find here. Here's the basic idea:

A 'sound' command that is sort of like a free form emote that echoes to the room and anyone listening in the adjoining rooms. The listening part is really what I'm interested in, because, generally, your emotes will cover what sort of sound you're making to the people in the room with you. The idea is that people spying on other people through doors and such don't realistically hear a lot of things they should, like laughter, a scream, a whistle, etc, which can sometimes change the context of a conversation.

Here's the pickle(s). For one thing, it's sort of like think/feel. People would forget to use it, but instead of a very small minority of the playerbase suffering, a pretty significant chuck would be missing out. That sucks, and I know I'm the first to completely forget about a command like that.
Secondly, it seems like it would get annoying for people in the room, since you'd get a double dose of a lot of stuff.
 >The waif tilts his head back, laughing.
 >You hear laughter.
But, at the same time, it seems weird for someone to not get the sound echo if they're standing in the room.
Thirdly, it may not be as good an idea as I think. I've honestly never really done much spying on people, so maybe I'm just ignorant. Or maybe it's too free formed, since it's generally not liked to have an echo that doesn't key the source.

Anyway, I thought it was a kind of neat idea that might do some good, or might be worth tearing apart and throwing away. I'm not too attached to it, so do your worst.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I suggest the SHOUT command.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I think it'd be cool to have the ability to add detail to the coded socials and have those coded socials that are sound related be able to be heard by others nearby who are listening.

>laugh (merrily)

The tall and muscular man laughs merrily.

Heard by someone with listen in an adjacent room:

From the west, you hear someone laugh.

Probably better ways to work it out but I think that'd be cool.

Usually I write out an emote for actions like that though. Would there be a better way to combine them so that someone nearby would have a chance of hearing the noise as well as using a nice emote for it?
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Good idea J.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I've got a solution I think would work this out, but I'm going to slip it into the Armageddon Reborn forum. This is something I think should be considered for the new incarnation. Great idea.