A fire required for cooking certain meats?

Started by Forty Winks, October 30, 2006, 09:15:28 PM

Just wanted to toss this idea out for discussion again. As I play the game, I just find it odd at times that I have the option of cooking meats without the presence of any fire nearby. Yeah, it'll likely be virtual, but if it's so easy to make a fire virtually, why not codedly? It takes forever to get a decent fire going codedly when out in the wilderness, if anyone has tried.

Not sure what you mean by this, are you making a note how hard it is to make fires? Or saying we should have coded fires to cook?

To the first one I say yes it is hard but if you have a group it is easy, I would like to see an option for a smaller fire just with kindling to cook over even if the light it shitty.

If it is the second question that would create to many problems, what if your friend is a krathi and is emoting keeping a flame going while you cook. Or what if you're a viv and you're making dried fruit by some magick (what I did with my last viv) the code can't take those into account.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

the code also doesn't take into account the really freaking hot rocks you can find out in the desert.

Quote from: "Agent_137"the code also doesn't take into account the really freaking hot rocks you can find out in the desert.

seconded.
making travel cakes on a rock!  brilliant!!

Because the sands are hot in zalanthas i used the method of burrying meats into sand, taking them after an amount of time. An easy way of dealing with desert cooking.

QuoteBecause the sands are hot in zalanthas i used the method of burrying meats into sand, taking them after an amount of time. An easy way of dealing with desert cooking.

Well...other than tasting nasty, it'd probably be warm enough to eat...
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Cooking travel cakes and/or meat on hot rocks, believable.  Tuluk has a firepit that is great to use for cooking, but I don't seem to recall Luir's or Allanak having a spot like that.  Roleplaying out making a very small fire outside somewhere, or making a coded campfire is cool, provided you've got something to burn.

Cooking travel cakes and/or meat in the middle of a tavern, no way.  I've lost count of how many times I've seen people do this in rooms that don't have any place at all to cook.  And I'm really not so sure that a tavern would let you use their oven to cook your food unless you work for them.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I know Luir's has a spot to cook, though it is out of the way.

As far as cooking in taverns goes, these places aren't necessarily strictly run businesses.  They might just do everything they can to get people to hang around.  I mean, they let people sleep there, afterall.  They might just let people cook any meat they bring in.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Tuluk has a firepit that is great to use for cooking, but I don't seem to recall Luir's or Allanak having a spot like that.

The Gaj has a public grill that can be used by anyone who wants to cook their meat.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I in the past have emoted using heated rocks to fry meat on and such. Personaly I would like to see it implemented like
craft meat into a thick, meaty steak on grill
Or something of that sort.

You mean it isn't?   :shock:   Learn something new everyday.