Let Bandage Work On Minor Wounds

Started by jmordetsky, October 26, 2006, 01:04:21 AM

Come on?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I have to agree, though I could definately see how it would be less effective.

Where a bandage might help a badass slash wound +10 hp, it should only help a little scrape +1hp. A sharp rise in the amount it heals from near death to fully healed, depending of course on skill.

Then you could still bandage a wound, but wouldn't get some unrealistic suddenly fully healed bs outta it.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Especially when,

The nasty scrab pinches your body, wounding you.
flee
bandage self
You have no wounds to  bandage (or whatever it is)

Yup
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

You can always roleplay it already.  If codedly your wounds are too minor, they'll codedly heal anyway.

But it might be neat to have bandages work on minor wounds, but have no chance of improving your skill that way (and maybe not even requiring the skill).
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

I seems like I can only use bandage if I wounded beyond the point where I can heal without sleeping. Now I understand why this is done, I would imagine it's to nerf bandage, and make it more difficult to master.

But. Dude, if I have say 85 hp. That means around 45, I have sleep to heal, which means that is around when I can bandage. But At 50 or 60 hp. I'm pretted f-ed up. I need a bandage. And in a pickle, I could use the hp that a bandage would afford me.

I think considering the new combat changes, this would be a nice toss back to the p-base. And would make bandage more useful without the complete overhauls we've discussed in the past.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "jmordetsky"But. Dude, if I have say 85 hp. That means around 45, I have sleep to heal, which means that is around when I can bandage. But At 50 or 60 hp. I'm pretted f-ed up. I need a bandage. And in a pickle, I could use the hp that a bandage would afford me.

Speaking from personal experience, you can most definately start bandaging before you stop healing naturally.  It's probably somewhere around when you get into the "poor" condition.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Dalmeth"
Quote from: "jmordetsky"But. Dude, if I have say 85 hp. That means around 45, I have sleep to heal, which means that is around when I can bandage. But At 50 or 60 hp. I'm pretted f-ed up. I need a bandage. And in a pickle, I could use the hp that a bandage would afford me.

Speaking from personal experience, you can most definately start bandaging before you stop healing naturally.  It's probably somewhere around when you get into the "poor" condition.

If it is it *just* before you stop. I tested this yesterday at a faily low level of, but not before I was at the point where I couldn't heal naturally and I couldn't bandage myself.

Maybe it's skill based?

www.j03m.com

Some might wonder how realistic it is that when you're unskilled you can only bandage huge wounds, and it takes a master to treat minor unjuries. Hmm.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"Some might wonder how realistic it is that when you're unskilled you can only bandage huge wounds, and it takes a master to treat minor unjuries. Hmm.

That does seem a little odd.

To use a real-world comparison, if I get a scrape, I slap a band-aid on it. If I have a huge, gaping wound, I go to the doctor. :)

Mundane physicians in general need a boost in usefulness.  Right now they're so useless that almost no one plays them.  Tablets need only the brew skill to make and then no one need assist you with it, krath's touch can't really be treated, wounds need to be pretty bad before you can bandage them and then the risk is fairly great and given the rp associated with fighting on after even being bandaged, rather makes it pointless to do when you can just rp/sleep it off in most situations.

Ultimately I think minor wounds, krath's touch and poison (though this may already be implemented) really should have something a physician pc should be able to do about.

ps Blood loss too, maybe even a small thing they can do about fatigue even.  Ie apply a salve over the legs to sooth the muscles.

FWIW, skill currently has no bearing on what level of damage you can bandage someone at.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Then it has changed in the last 6 months.

The skill level never changed the upper limit (highest amount) of HPs you can bandage, but most definately did impact the lower limit (lowest amount) of HPs you can bandage.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Seems to me the way it works is that:

*  It checks if the targets hp is low enough for a bandage.
*  If it isn't it tells you and you go on with life.
*  If it is, you get a skill roll against being able to bandage.
*  If you win, you bandage and I imagine the # of HP that are restored to the target is based on your skill. But I have no idea.
*  Same for failure, but damage done instead of restoration.

I actually like bandage. I think it's useful and probably fine as it is without all the sweeping changes we've discussed over time.

But...to make it something reasonably useful, make it work on any wound please.

please?

Please????

www.j03m.com

I am in favour of it being usable on minor wounds because otherwise it's unrealistically difficult to get any experience bandaging people. It reminds me of back when (shady class) had to practice (rarely usable skill) just to branch (very important skill for a shady class) - just not playable at all. I think it makes sense to have the amount of health you can restore with a bandage proportional to the degree of the character's wounds, sure, so that if they just have a slight scrape, salving and tying it up isn't going to make a huge difference, but at the very least it's a useful roleplaying prop that also increases the playability of PC physicians and medics.

Quote from: "Twilight"The skill level never changed the upper limit (highest amount) of HPs you can bandage, but most definately did impact the lower limit (lowest amount) of HPs you can bandage.

You are correct, I wasn't complete enough in my statement.  People were talking about the upper limit being changed by skill, which is not true.  However the lower limit is definately impacted by skill.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"
Quote from: "Twilight"The skill level never changed the upper limit (highest amount) of HPs you can bandage, but most definately did impact the lower limit (lowest amount) of HPs you can bandage.

You are correct, I wasn't complete enough in my statement.  People were talking about the upper limit being changed by skill, which is not true.  However the lower limit is definately impacted by skill.

That is a bit counter intuitive though (as Hymwen pointed out earlier). You are saying that as I become more adapt at the banage skill I am able to treat less critical wounds?

So for example on an 80 hp character, if he has been near ganked by a beetle to 40, I can treat him, but with a few bruises at 70 I cannot? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

In RL, I'm pretty sure I could put a bandaid on my paper cut at my current level of bandage skill, but if you need a tourniquet you are looking at the wrong guy.

I would hope it was the same for my surgeon. :)

Editted: because tourniquet is not spelled turnacut. heh.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "Agent_137"tourniquet.

edit:
just saw your edit.

Thanks for adding something to the conversation.  :twisted:

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "jmordetsky"

That is a bit counter intuitive though (as Hymwen pointed out earlier). You are saying that as I become more adapt at the banage skill I am able to treat less critical wounds?

No. You can treat more critical wounds. The upper limit of HPs doesn't change with skill, so the minimum damage that someone can take before you can treat them isn't altered. The lower limit does, so the maximum damage they can take before you can't do anything for them increases.

Hope this helps.
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Quote from: "Quirk"
Quote from: "jmordetsky"

No. You can treat more critical wounds. The upper limit of HPs doesn't change with skill, so the minimum damage that someone can take before you can treat them isn't altered. The lower limit does, so the maximum damage they can take before you can't do anything for them increases.

Hope this helps.

ah ha. I hadn't considered there was a cap on the low. That makes more sense.

Still. It would be nice to perhaps shift the whole thing upwards and remove the upper range cap.

www.j03m.com