Jarring Names and Characters?

Started by Beux, October 19, 2006, 06:16:50 PM

I've used Irish names for virtually all my characters and the name nearly always referred to an aspect of their character or ability e.g. Aodhan means "fire" or "born of fire" - naturally he was a Krathi. My SLK warrior was called Cearul which translates into "fierce in battle". A Nilazi who had different ideas about the way things worked to normal people and saw Nilaz as the source of everything was called Iollan which roughly means "one who worships a different god".
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Well I once named a character after a historical figure and then as a total joke named his weapon after the historical figure's sword, which when translated into english just sounded silly.

I won't say the chars name, but I will say that his sword was called the 'clothes rod'.

Heh, I still get a kick out of that.

In my time I've met three different shady fellas who called themselves 'X'. I found that to be jarring and kinda humorous. I hope they weren't all played by the same person.  :lol:

I've jacked a name from a popular game before when I was drawing blanks.. won't say which game, but the game character had a bo staff.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I occasionally see names that jar me, sometimes a great deal.

I once saw a Krathi named Ashann (Smoke, in Hebrew), and as they say, there's no Smoke without a fire.  Yeah.  I didn't find that pun to be particularly hot.

I met a red-headed character named Iscariot once; I was blissfully unaware back then.

There's also a recent/current character with two names, both of which are Hebrew.  But the most jarring part is that his first name is a feminine name traditionally given to stereotypical grandmothers.

Well, I personally try to keep my characters' names free of any associations.  If I do base their name on a word, I look for a non-English word and mutate the name's actual pronunciation as well as spelling.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I saw a Ghost of something in the game..

That was... so.. jar...ring...aargh!!  So jar..rign I c'nat tpey!1!
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Cenghiz"I confess, I confess.... Some characters of mine had Turkish names...
I had one named 'bitch' in Turkish.. Because she would be a bitch.

I need to try that. Would be a great reminder to my characters 'core personality' ;)
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "Ghost"I saw a Ghost of something in the game..

There are ghosts in game?   :shock:

Quote from: "Larrath"I once saw a Krathi named Ashann (Smoke, in Hebrew), and as they say, there's no Smoke without a fire.  Yeah.  I didn't find that pun to be particularly hot.

I once met a Krathi named Smoke.

I'd prefer Ashann. :)
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I love stupid names.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Beux"
Quote from: "Ghost"I saw a Ghost of something in the game..

There are ghosts in game?   :shock:

Find out IC.

MUHAHAHAHAAHAH!
some of my posts are serious stuff

I have and probaly always will use
http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/fnames.cgi?d=checked&f=0
This random namer generator for the game. I usualy look over them till I find a suitable one and such. It works pretty well and most if not all are Arm worthy.