Jarring Names and Characters?

Started by Beux, October 19, 2006, 06:16:50 PM

Erk. I just met a character on Arm, with the same name as the Imm I have on another mud, and have had for a few years, and my main character I have on yet another mud that I have had for 5 years (yes, I like the name).

I'm so used to seeing the name in mudclients...directed at me...that I find it so amazingly jarring that I feel like running away and avoiding this person.  :oops:

Anyone else ever had this?

No.

I have never met another mansa.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"No.

I have never met another mansa.

there can be only one!

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

I am totally making a templar avatar named mansa now.

Let's see how long it takes Halaster to kill it.

;)
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

first person named rufus ingame earns my eternal wrathvengeance or a high five.

I'm pretty sure I'm save from having to meet and UnderSevens.

I once met a character named Asteroth. I was like, "Huh. Cool name." I then played Soul Caliber for the first time a few days later. I instantly liked that character less.

Also, you all better watch out for Lord Templar FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "Djarjak"I am totally making a templar avatar named mansa now.

Let's see how long it takes Halaster to kill it.

;)

Djarjak's the only one I trust with the mansa name.

*shakes his fist in Halaster's direction*

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

the mansa(C)(TM)(R) name is a copyright registered trademark under US law, copying or unsigned distribution of this product warrants extreme legal action, all rights reserved, results may vary, batteries not included

I have a feeling that I'm safe from having my handle used as a character name...

However, I have seen some jarring names.  Hell, I'd wager that the names of a few of my characters would be jarring to some people.  It's all how people perceive things.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'll keep an eye out for the Krathis who try to jack my name.

'Kaedje' is just the name of Mohammed's first wife as written in Irish. The actual name in the Qur'an is 'Khadijah', but I wanted something a bit simpler.

Although as far as the account I use everywhere but a few sites...

I doubt anyone would ever make a character named "Eggnogstick."
It feels a bit like your throat is full of ants. And they're all biting you. In a good way."

Most of my characters names have been ones I've stolen, or used on other muds, because i'm very lacking in the creative naming department.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I remember hearing about a bard named from a bard from another game...
That was jarring.

I've never seen a Morgan, or a Chaos, or any of the other names I frequently use.

I've got a couple names I wanna use IG, but that might be slightly jarring. I get a lot of my names off like babyname sites. I pick a letter and scroll down til there's one I like. I've found some very awesome names that way.

I want to make a Kuraci warrior/acrobat named Gaenor. (Who gets the joke?)
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

If you come across a Cuusardo in the game, it's not me.  I'll be the one playing mansa.  mansa will become the new Amos.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Sorry didn't mean to post. But yeah, there's been a few names I hated seeing in game.. I can't elaborate.. too recent.
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

I vaguely remember running into a name I recognized from a popular video game, but I can't remember what it was.

When I see jarring names I just plot jarring deaths. 2 wrongs = 1 rite

Dan in the game is a VNPC.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I've never met a Laura or a Mars, but you know, Zalanthas is Mars.  How jarring.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

LauraMars! Quit ruining my roooooleplaying expeeeeerience!

I've definately seen a Rufus in game before.

And there is a Tlaloc immortal on a WoTmud I occasionally foray to, though he is a prick who no-shouted me when I asked him if he was one and the same as the Tlaloc we all know and love. Ass.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Morgan, I got the joke, even if noone else did.  Silly gymnast.

Oh, I thought I'd add that the reason I think I may have had jarring names is that I like picking somewhat ridiculous ones...either by making 4 syllable ones or by taking a real English word and respelling it in such a way that it should be pronounced the same, but only if you know English well.

Examples (similar but not actually used): Tildornalast or Koutch
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Always wanted to app a Tembo named either Grendal or Bandersnatch. Not that anybody else would ever know.

And a pasty fat dwarf named Pugsly.

Doubt I'll ever see a PC named X-D...

Though, the templar would be far better if it was                                Lord Templar FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWithHammers
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I confess, I confess.... Some characters of mine had Turkish names...
I had one named 'bitch' in Turkish.. Because she would be a bitch.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I've used Irish names for virtually all my characters and the name nearly always referred to an aspect of their character or ability e.g. Aodhan means "fire" or "born of fire" - naturally he was a Krathi. My SLK warrior was called Cearul which translates into "fierce in battle". A Nilazi who had different ideas about the way things worked to normal people and saw Nilaz as the source of everything was called Iollan which roughly means "one who worships a different god".
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Well I once named a character after a historical figure and then as a total joke named his weapon after the historical figure's sword, which when translated into english just sounded silly.

I won't say the chars name, but I will say that his sword was called the 'clothes rod'.

Heh, I still get a kick out of that.

In my time I've met three different shady fellas who called themselves 'X'. I found that to be jarring and kinda humorous. I hope they weren't all played by the same person.  :lol:

I've jacked a name from a popular game before when I was drawing blanks.. won't say which game, but the game character had a bo staff.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I occasionally see names that jar me, sometimes a great deal.

I once saw a Krathi named Ashann (Smoke, in Hebrew), and as they say, there's no Smoke without a fire.  Yeah.  I didn't find that pun to be particularly hot.

I met a red-headed character named Iscariot once; I was blissfully unaware back then.

There's also a recent/current character with two names, both of which are Hebrew.  But the most jarring part is that his first name is a feminine name traditionally given to stereotypical grandmothers.

Well, I personally try to keep my characters' names free of any associations.  If I do base their name on a word, I look for a non-English word and mutate the name's actual pronunciation as well as spelling.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I saw a Ghost of something in the game..

That was... so.. jar...ring...aargh!!  So jar..rign I c'nat tpey!1!
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Cenghiz"I confess, I confess.... Some characters of mine had Turkish names...
I had one named 'bitch' in Turkish.. Because she would be a bitch.

I need to try that. Would be a great reminder to my characters 'core personality' ;)
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "Ghost"I saw a Ghost of something in the game..

There are ghosts in game?   :shock:

Quote from: "Larrath"I once saw a Krathi named Ashann (Smoke, in Hebrew), and as they say, there's no Smoke without a fire.  Yeah.  I didn't find that pun to be particularly hot.

I once met a Krathi named Smoke.

I'd prefer Ashann. :)
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I love stupid names.

Quote from: "Beux"
Quote from: "Ghost"I saw a Ghost of something in the game..

There are ghosts in game?   :shock:

Find out IC.

MUHAHAHAHAAHAH!
some of my posts are serious stuff

I have and probaly always will use
http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/fnames.cgi?d=checked&f=0
This random namer generator for the game. I usualy look over them till I find a suitable one and such. It works pretty well and most if not all are Arm worthy.