Started by MorganChaos, October 19, 2006, 02:47:19 AM

Well?

Yes.
20 (83.3%)
No.
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: October 19, 2006, 02:47:44 AM

Idea: when you don't have enough coin, the waterseller letting you fill your container as much as you've got the coin for, possibly depending on your barter skill? I never really liked this whole thing of being dying of thirst and the only thing you've got on you is a wine bottle that it costs 50 coins to fill, and you're screwed cause you've only got 30 on you and are too dehydrated to make it to the bank. Or even the waterskin that costs 33, and you only have 32. Round it down to the nearest unit of sip or drink, just to keep it a little bit cruel.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

It works like that for some water-sellers, I think the ones that don't have some container in the room that they actually fill up (like they do in Luir's and in Tuluk's tribal market).
b]YB <3[/b]

as a temporary fix, characters that are just eeking it out should keep a mug or cup or any very small liquid container on them for cases just like this.

I am in part for and against.  The reason why this wouldn't work is because water is a hard thing to measure.  You can say, barter with a solid object, but water needs a container to tell how much this or that is worth, so maybe more major water sellers might have various forms of measuring cups, but otherwise I could see it being perfeectly reasonable for one to not fill something if you don't have enough, even part way.

Naw. I think it should be easy enough, when told you don't have enough to pay the 30 'sid for your gourd to be able to say, "Well, half fill it then? And I'll give you 15 'sid"

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to about half fill something.

What you're talking about may or may not be feasible. If you haven't, please be sure to use the idea command in game to register this.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

I dunno, I'd prefer being able to barter over filling my skin half way...though filling my skin half way would be nice too.

My idea for a solution:
Multiple water containers made available for purchase at all of the water-sellers instead of the 'fill' command being the way to fill.  These multiple containers would be of varied sizes and appropriate costs.  That way you can buy whatever quantity you want and people with haggle can haggle with water-sellers like they can with everyone else...well, except tattoo artists and mount-sellers, which it would be nice to haggle with too, but that's a different discussion.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"
My idea for a solution:
Multiple water containers made available for purchase at all of the water-sellers instead of the 'fill' command being the way to fill.  These multiple containers would be of varied sizes and appropriate costs.

This is actually already in place in some areas. I'm working on doing this elsewhere, too.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Quote from: "spawnloser"That way you can buy whatever quantity you want and people with haggle can haggle with water-sellers like they can with everyone else...well, except tattoo artists and mount-sellers, which it would be nice to haggle with too.

I just find the idea of haggling with government-run monopolies odd.  Go to a bar and haggle for their water if you want, but a goverment agent should just tell you to stick it where the sun don't shine and keep the line moving.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

There are very few government agents that sell water.

For one of them, there is a government agent right next door, selling other things, that you can haggle with...because that government is a merchant house.

The other government, that I can think of right now, does not have a monopoly.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Beux"Naw. I think it should be easy enough, when told you don't have enough to pay the 30 'sid for your gourd to be able to say, "Well, half fill it then? And I'll give you 15 'sid"

No but I've seen people get into arguements with bartenders in bars over how full their drinks were.  It can be hard to tell in a gourd which is NOT see through when it is half full or not half full, same for a water skin.  Maybe if you're talking about a glass bottle, but in most cases you're probably not, especially since clear glass may not be THAT common on arm in the first place.

I can easily see a water seller deciding that is just not something they wanna bother with, especially when water is rare and you need to buy it one way or another.

Quote from: "UnderSeven"
Quote from: "Beux"Naw. I think it should be easy enough, when told you don't have enough to pay the 30 'sid for your gourd to be able to say, "Well, half fill it then? And I'll give you 15 'sid"

No but I've seen people get into arguements with bartenders in bars over how full their drinks were.  It can be hard to tell in a gourd which is NOT see through when it is half full or not half full, same for a water skin.  Maybe if you're talking about a glass bottle, but in most cases you're probably not, especially since clear glass may not be THAT common on arm in the first place.

I can easily see a water seller deciding that is just not something they wanna bother with, especially when water is rare and you need to buy it one way or another.

If they can't see into the gourd how do they know how much to charge you got a whole thing?
By weight? Then you can weigh a half gourd
By volume through some measurment device? Then measure out a fifteen 'sid portion
By item? That is just not smart lol.

Point is we don't know how they do it.  But lets say they take a barrel and dip your water container into it, like they do at the temple of the dragon, only a fountain.  They're either going to have to by weight, guess or check, which probably a water seller doesn't want to bother with, or they're going to have to by volume. . Well moot point as the volume in question is your water container, or by item, not smart maybe not, but it seems to be fairly commonly how it's done in most places.  

Anyway the point isn't that this shouldn't/couldn't be changed.  More a matter of just how it seems to be done right now.

I don't see a problem with the way it is now.. besides, just go buddy a vivaduan. :P
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.