Best.... Examples....Ever!

Started by Melkor, October 14, 2006, 02:08:18 PM

I dont know if this website has been passed around, but one thing on it CLEARLY stood out at me. It shows the best visuals of the Zalanthian Races I have ever seen. Enjoy!

http://www.ambushpaintball.com/armageddon/resourceraces.htm
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Ah..this site.

Yes, I too enjoy the visuals for the races there, but at the same time I have to remember:

These pictures are all from "Dark Sun" sources.  Arm. races, while similar in name and features, are just a bit different from their Athan counterparts.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I also like these -- and i think they're also posted somewhere on the forum.

http://www.geocities.com/tticd/gallery.html

This page gets overloaded with traffic a lot, so if the page quits loading pictures, just wait a day or two.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~rpblack/ds/dsweap.htm

Got some neat pictures of weapons.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "FightClub"I also like these -- and i think they're also posted somewhere on the forum.

i hosted this on my own space but i forgot where i put it.

Ooooh...I like those pictures. I've always had trouble seeing dwarves but that picture actually has helped.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Quote from: "Agent_137"
Quote from: "FightClub"I also like these -- and i think they're also posted somewhere on the forum.

found it, please change your bookmarks, i have a 5 gig transfer limit:

www.crapyclawn.net/arma/index.html

Okay, the picture of the human...is she supposed to be a high priced Tuluki whore wearing an Allanaki corset?  And when did Zalanthans invent the wonderbra?  I'm sorry, but that picture is a very poor representation of Zalanthas.  And the high heeled boots and bustier on the half-elf are pretty silly too.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Well, this is a rare occasion, but I agree with Cuusardo on all accounts.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

I have nothing against high-heels, but she holds her sword wrongly. But well, that is just me.

Anyway, I think these pictures are cool. Maybe not totally Zalanthian or Zalanthian-with-exceptions, but I still think they are nice. I thought the human is some rinthi whore :)

Well, all the art is original Dark Sun art.  (shrug)

Specifically, though, high hells in sand?  Not so great an idea, I'd think.

Allanaki bustier?  No.  Them prim 'Nakkis don't show skin like them Tuluki sluts. ;)

Oh, and that isn't a gith on Matrim's site.  That's a belgoi.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Uhh.. let's not forget: If the Dark Sun setting was never put out there by the late TSR, the game you would all be playing would be a far, far cry to what it is now. Zalanthas is essentially the exact same theme, with the exact same races, monsters, theory of magicks etc, but with a geography change. It's completely feasible that the "Zalanthas" we play on is actually on Athas, just across the Sea of Silt, isolated by mighty mountains, nasty beasties, and deadly weather conditions. Thus, that artwork, (Done by Brom, who made alot of the original art) shows generally much what the Zalanthan races look like, because they're the same as Athasian counterparts. Aside from fashion nitpicking, of course.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

Quote from: "Mr.B"Uhh.. let's not forget: If the Dark Sun setting was never put out there by the late TSR, the game you would all be playing would be a far, far cry to what it is now.
Nobody is denying that Armaggedon is most prominently based on the Dark Sun setting.  So yes, if not for Dark Sun, Armageddon would be different (or it might not have been started at all).

Quote from: "Mr.B"Zalanthas is essentially the exact same theme, with the exact same races, monsters, theory of magicks etc, but with a geography change.
That's not quite as true.
Theme: Dark Sun is generally, as I understand it, a Party versus the World game; the adventurers spread freedom and fight against the evil templars and spread freedom.  Also, magick in Athas isn't seen as such an evil thing - there are no gemmers and fear/prosecuton of magickers is minimal at best.  And lastly, in Dark Sun, almost every single character and animal has at least one powerful psionic ability.
The PC races are mostly the same as far as I can tell, as are many of the monsters.  It isn't identical by any means, however.
And as for the magick theory... well, I don't think Dark Sun's magick system is much of a match for Arm's magick system.  Ours is pretty cool.
Quote from: "Mr.B"It's completely feasible that the "Zalanthas" we play on is actually on Athas, just across the Sea of Silt, isolated by mighty mountains, nasty beasties, and deadly weather conditions.
I don't think it's actually that feasible, but who knows.
Quote from: "Mr.B"Thus, that artwork, (Done by Brom, who made alot of the original art) shows generally much what the Zalanthan races look like, because they're the same as Athasian counterparts. Aside from fashion nitpicking, of course.
Define 'fashion nitpicking'.  Zalanthas features humans, and if I looked around at a picture of Beethoven, I could compare him to a Zalanthan Noble, too.  Except he'd be darker skinned, dressed differently, not pose quite the same and be surrounded by slaves.  Half-elves?  Legolas from the LOTR movie, but darker, with shorter hair, different clothes... ad infinitum.

Brom's artwork is pretty sweet, but it's not really definitive as far as Armageddon goes.  I'd be hard-pressed to place either the Human or the Half-Elf in the original post website as Zalanthans - the human might be a prostitute, but the half-elf looks like, at best, a twinky f-me warrior.

[/ranting]
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I for one have played Dark Sun before.  While the world and such are similar, there are HUGE differences.  Halflings, for one, are very different in some ways.  There are also some parts of Athas that are actually flourishing with verdant plant life, whereas on Zalanthas there are virtually none in the known world.  On Athas, there are underground groups that are working against sorceror kings and templars (and manage to be successful to some extent), and elemental magicks are more accepted.  Bards are pretty damned different as well.

Damnit, I want to play Dark Sun again!
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Ok, let's be clear here.

Zalanthas is NOT ATHAS.

Our intention with Armageddon is not to be a Dark Sun mud. While it is listed as one of the influences (and heavily), it is by far not the sole influence, and there are many concepts, plots, and elements that are not derived from or related to Dark Sun.

We cannot use artwork that is copyrighted by another company for another game in representation of our game.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Alright, let me simplify this. Armageddon is so heavily based on Dark Sun, that it could be on the planet itself, as it is so heavily based in the concept of the post-apocalyptic, low-tech desert world theme. The theory of magick drawing on life force to fuel is the same. Merchant houses, City-states, all staples of the theme. Mekillots, Braxats, Jozhals, all the PC races, all staples of the theme. Yes, I understand that Zalanthas isn't Athas, but I think we can all agree in terms of setting for those of us who are actually familiar with it, that it's generally pretty damned close.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Okay, the picture of the human...is she supposed to be a high priced Tuluki whore wearing an Allanaki corset?  And when did Zalanthans invent the wonderbra?  I'm sorry, but that picture is a very poor representation of Zalanthas.  And the high heeled boots and bustier on the half-elf are pretty silly too.

LOL, I agree, but the funny thing is i've seen corsets, wonderbras, bustiers and high heels in the game.  Actually, boots and shoes with heels are pretty easy to find :)
anth: *tries to balance an evil laugh with a cheerful, open demeanor*

A sand-stuffed practice dummy looks down at you.

Come see Matrim's Armageddon website at:
http://ambushpaintball.com/armageddon

found it, please change your bookmarks, i have a 5 gig transfer limit:

www.crapyclawn.net/arma/index.html

Pimpin, perhaps you can get some descriptions of the art in later?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "Empress"LOL, I agree, but the funny thing is i've seen corsets, wonderbras, bustiers and high heels in the game.  Actually, boots and shoes with heels are pretty easy to find :)

I've seen corsets and high heels myself, but no wonderbras or bustiers.  Wearing high heels (and a bustier) outside the city is just silly.  It just bugs me when I see these RPG illustrations of women in clothing unrealistic to the situation they are depicted in.

http://www.armageddon.org/original/showSubmission.php?submission=158

Who needs darksun artwork when we've got this...

Though, that mantis seems to be getting a little too chummy with that mul. But then maybe it's just trying to lull the dwarf into a false sense of security so it can eat his brain.

Quote from: "Spoon"Though, that mantis seems to be getting a little too chummy with that mul. But then maybe it's just trying to lull the dwarf into a false sense of security so it can eat his brain.
We've had this discussion a few too many times, I think.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I imagine sometimes that the race chart is actually a photograph taken somewhere in Zalanthas.

A black-haired photographer says, in sirhish, "Alright, everyone. Stand together now."

Chittering hungrily, a pallid yellow mantis swipes at a slender elven female, mandible extended.

A dour, harshly-tanned mul thinks "What's the point of this? My life is pathetic. Hope fails."

A yellow-skinned gith eyes a black-haired photographer, licking his lips hungrily.

A mohawked, olive-skinned half elf says, in sirhish, "I'm too sexy for these pants."

The slender elven female says, in allundean, "How does my ass look from this angle?"

A green-skinned halfling says, in sirhish, "I will kill you all."

And so on.

What I like most about that picture are the small touches - the jozhal-hide gloves, the Sun Legions harness, the Lirathan robes. Neat.

Yes, ThirdEye, that's another halfling biting the half-giant's ankle.

Okay, I like that picture too, especially how it shows their sizes compaired to one another. I also like the details that were stated earlier (Jozhal-hide gloves, Sun-Leigon Harness, etc.) It is a great picture, but a few things bug me.... The Mul and dwarf look kinda funny, and not strong enough. The gith (and i recognise that he is crouched...) doesn't look nearly tall enough, and the Half-giant looks asian... (not a serious flaw, but still... I thought Yao Ming was the only huge asian.....)

Now, if Brom and Baxa were to draw the same kind of picture, where they are all standing together, but with their own takes on the races (with the exception of the Tuluki Whore...), that would flat-out ROCK!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.