Half-giants and karma requirements

Started by Flaming Ocotillo, October 12, 2006, 08:13:12 PM

Quote from: "Clearsighted"Seems like most giants part of a real organization can find /someone/ willing to spar em. So I don't think the 'they're balanced cause they can only learn by fighting real threats' is absolutely correct.

Pretty rough on shields though.

Though, I don't think they're imbalanced either, stats wise. And I think the karma level for em is pretty accurate.
Heh back when I was in Winnrothol I just had to laugh my ass of every time some one said they'd spar with the Half-giant, suffice it to say it's a -Very- stupid idea. I've seen people nearly killed by a half-giant in sparring matches and as a result i think any leader that has had to deal with this wouldn't let a half-gaint spar with any regular humanoid.

That being said I am of the opinion that HGs were plenty powerful before with out making them even more deadly, the fact that they can literally bash people ninto oblivion alone is dangerous enough. Still if they have become even more powerful i don't see why the staff would be motivated enough to change the Karma restriction on them
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: "daedroug"
Quote from: "Clearsighted"Seems like most giants part of a real organization can find /someone/ willing to spar em. So I don't think the 'they're balanced cause they can only learn by fighting real threats' is absolutely correct.

Pretty rough on shields though.

Though, I don't think they're imbalanced either, stats wise. And I think the karma level for em is pretty accurate.
Heh back when I was in Winnrothol I just had to laugh my ass of every time some one said they'd spar with the Half-giant, suffice it to say it's a -Very- stupid idea. I've seen people nearly killed by a half-giant in sparring matches and as a result i think any leader that has had to deal with this wouldn't let a half-gaint spar with any regular humanoid.

Well. I have a non-karma race character that spars with 1-2 half-giants pretty much every RL day. Win most. Lose some. And I'm not even that good. Mostly its the armor repair bills. And I imagine before the changes to defense it was even easier. Mostly it's just a matter of avoiding fancy lag-inducing commands, and fleeing when appropiate. I've never gone below a damage threshold that I wouldn't go beyond when having a regular spar.

So it's not quite as difficult or unexpected as some might think. I've seen some HGs get some good experience. (Granted, they can only spar with a select 3-4.)

That said, it's never a match I look forward to. And ICly, it is always extremely serious and careful. (No matter how plaintive they look on with sad puppy dog eyes while everyone else neglects them.)

Well, yes half-giants even at the start of the character could get in a lucky blow and crush someone much smaller then them, but that's how half-giants are supposed to be.

As for the people that said to special app, I wasn't complaining I didn't have the karma, I'm just saying that some people that I'm sure are very good RPers and contribute much to the game, still don't have the karma for half-giant, and considering that's really the first new race you get to play(delves are still elves) it's something to shoot for, but I don't want to bother the staff and load down the special apps just for a half-giant which might slow down someones special app that might add to the game world as a whole as opposed to the little area I might be playing in.
21sters Unite!

Insofar as raising the karma restrictions of half-giants, I really think we should be making arguements as to the roleplayability of the race, rather than the potential for abuse. Karma 3 players are generally NOT the sort of people with the mindset of, "Ooh, I can make a half-giant and HULK SMASH!!!" I don't see very many half-giants going on random killing sprees, and I don't think that will change, even with the new code, because people with 3 karma have 3 karma because they care at least a little about the game.

That said, I do think that perhaps raising the karma requirement might be considered, solely because, from the various threads I've seen complaining about half-giants, they are very difficult to roleplay well. So perhaps people with only three karma don't yet have enough experience to handle them well.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I don't think HG's should be nerfed but I do think an increase in karma would be alright. In my time with arm (more than a few years) I've had at least six occasions where walking down the road the only rp I got from an hg was

A half-giant says in sirihish:
"Gimme sid."

A half-giant subdues you, despite your attempts to wrestle away

A half-giant punches your arm, wounding you
You vision goes black

Welcome to armageddon!

Not enough well-played hgs in my opinion, in my time I've only crossed one or two hg's who I thought did exceptionally well.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

As I mentioned before, I think the problem with half-giants is not how they are played, but how others play with them.

For instance if you spar with a half-giant and die, I don't think this is the fault of the half-giant, who by his nature is not looking ahead at possible problems that might arise from their actions, not the fault of the player of the half-giant for not saving you from your stupidity. It's your fault, and the fault of your pc for thinking that sparring with a half-giant might be a good idea.

As noted above by Tisiphone few play them as blood hungry socio-paths. If they fall in with the wrong crowd, they can be especially dangerous. That is kinda cool. Be careful who you piss off they might have big friends. Be careful of raiders, they may have a half-giant bop you atop your head. Yay!

More half-giants? Now they have more of their kind to interact with. I can see this being quite positive.

Not portrayed well? Well, look again at yourself. Are you treating them like retarded children or ignoring them? There are other ways to handle them. And the more varied your responses to them, the more you open up and broaden the narrow parameters of their role.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I agree with Barz to a certain extent. I certainly know alot of how build my character is interaction through the enviroment and other people in the world.

But that's not all it is to it, half-giants in my opinion arent' played well because thats the only way people know how to play them.

People constantly state they've only seen one or two well played half-giants or what not ... Well, HOW were these half-giants played that made you think them superiour? How did they act ... With examples and information on how a half-giant should be played, you might see improvement on how they are played. Just saying, hey, the majority of you half-giants that are playing suck ass and you should never have been giving the chance to play them, isnt' going to help anything.

So, be constructive. If you think something is played poorly, then explain WHY, if you've seen half-giants played superiour to all others, again, examples as well as WHY you think that. It might make improvement on the game instead of just insulting them.
21sters Unite!

Corrected post - editing error   :?

creeper386
QuoteI agree with Barz to a certain extent. I certainly know alot of how build my character is interaction through the enviroment and other people in the world.

I am with Creeper on this, everyone needs feedback, positive as well as negative.  In order to grow as a roleplayer, it is a boon to the gameworld overall, one should help others to achieve their personal goals.   I feel it is every players responsibility to want to improve the gameworld, no matter how insignificant the issue may appear to the general populace, by continually developing admirable expectations from themselves in addition to their fellow players.

Carry on!

N.E.