Pushed to the limit?

Started by Arbonne, October 05, 2006, 07:41:40 PM

I've been pondering this certain topic for a time, and wondered what the rest of the player community thought about it.

When your elementalist is at X-1 mana, and isn't able to cast the spell of DOOM until he's at X mana, does anyone else think allowing mana to go negative up to a certain point sound feasible? I just find it hard to believe you can't cast when your around a certain point due to code constraints. Of course, taking your mana to negative will affect the regeneration rate for some time, but it'll at least make it realistic when your elementalist is fighting for his life and can't cast his saving spell because he's X-1 mana to cast it.

(X being a coded number of what it takes to cast a generic spell)

Is there really a difference in allowing someone to cast when at X-5 mana, causing them to go -5 mana, and not allowing them to cast at X-6 mana, and just having it cut off at X mana in the first place?  Not really.

I think the only way you can make the mana drain more dymanic really is to add in a casting skill that would impact how much mana is used, but that would open up a whole set of worms itself.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I'd like to see people who cast past their mana limits be stiffly penalized HP and Stun as a sacrifice, instead of just refusing to cast any longer.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: "Twilight"Is there really a difference in allowing someone to cast when at X-5 mana, causing them to go -5 mana, and not allowing them to cast at X-6 mana, and just having it cut off at X mana in the first place?  Not really.

I think the only way you can make the mana drain more dymanic really is to add in a casting skill that would impact how much mana is used, but that would open up a whole set of worms itself.

That is already in effect, if your good at a spell it takes less and less to cast. It is just obvious, a magicker must be played carefully which includes not always using the TEK'S BREATH'O'DOOM!!!! fireball when a hotfoot 1 mana spell will work fine,
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I'm talking about variable mana depletion for a given ability with the magick, at a given power level.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

WP's idea is great. I'm sure it could be modified in other ways, too - elementalists might only be able to cast by depleting a small amount of exhaustion, while sorcs could literally fuel spells, dangerously, with their own life power.

This would be sweet. As it stands, there's no real penalty to casting yourself out other than not being able to cast any more. I'd really like to see people be able to pour it on until they pass out or croak.

Quote from: "jstorrie"WP's idea is great. I'm sure it could be modified in other ways, too - elementalists might only be able to cast by depleting a small amount of exhaustion, while sorcs could literally fuel spells, dangerously, with their own life power.

They do that anyway.

Quote from: "help gather"There are two schools of gathering: one which brutally takes life from the local flora, and another which attempts to collect energy from oneself.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I haven't seen it mentioned specifically, so I'll add...you do know that you don't have to cast at max power, thus reducing the mana cost, right?

As far as sorcerers go, though, yeah...as already mentioned, they get mana from using the 'gather' command, not from regenning like elementalists.  They either gather from the land, killing the land that much more, or they gather from themselves...doing HP damage in exchange for mana.  Yeah, so that idea already exists as a standard for doing things.

For elementalists...I'm against the idea of allowing them to go negative with penalties.  Why?  Because their current mana is how much energy they have to fling around.  You can't go negative stamina when pushed to the limit can you?  How about negative stun?  Some things, you just can't have a negative quantity of.  The only reason HP works that way is to produce an unconscious state.  It'd be clearer if you died at 0 hp and went unconscious at 10.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "jstorrie"WP's idea is great. I'm sure it could be modified in other ways, too - elementalists might only be able to cast by depleting a small amount of exhaustion, while sorcs could literally fuel spells, dangerously, with their own life power.

This would be sweet. As it stands, there's no real penalty to casting yourself out other than not being able to cast any more. I'd really like to see people be able to pour it on until they pass out or croak.

except the first non magicker to walk up on you will just slay you, let us remember magickers have a hard enough life as it is lol.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cyrian20"except the first non magicker to walk up on you will just slay you, let us remember magickers have a hard enough life as it is lol.

Maybe you're missing the point, here...

We're saying, allow Magickers to overcast, allowing them the further use of their offensive capabilities, instead of stopping them at 0 mana. IF anything, this would give magickers an extra out, in the event someone runs them down and they cast themselves dry...

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I feel like we're walking a fine line here, talking about the mechanics of magick... but all the same, I have to say I'm against the OP's idea for the reasons spawnloser pointed out. However, I would love to see something like what WP is suggesting. Knee-jerk, suicidally reckless casting isn't really covered in the code yet, and I think it would be a great addition. It'd make mages stronger in some respects, sure, allowing them to cast more spells... but it'd also make an unprepared mage really, really vulnerable. I think it'd balance out.
And besides, I just love the idea of a Krathi going out kamikaze-style.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I was hoping for a suggestion of a time-travelling spell. :(
LL ZALANTHANS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ZALANTHANS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

Quote from: "Slime"I was hoping for a suggestion of a time-travelling spell. :(

HAHAHA.

http://timetraveler.ytmnd.com/

:mrgreen:

Quote from: "WarriorPoet"
Quote from: "Cyrian20"except the first non magicker to walk up on you will just slay you, let us remember magickers have a hard enough life as it is lol.

We're saying, allow Magickers to overcast, allowing them the further use of their offensive capabilities, instead of stopping them at 0 mana. IF anything, this would give magickers an extra out, in the event someone runs them down and they cast themselves dry...

-WP

Ahhh I understand, not sure my opinion on it although it looks like the idea is coming along pretty good now. I am sure I will pop in with my two cents after people bounce it around some more.  :twisted:

Quote from: "WarriorPoet"I'd like to see people who cast past their mana limits be stiffly penalized HP and Stun as a sacrifice, instead of just refusing to cast any longer.

-WP

Sorcerer?
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "WarriorPoet"

-WP

Sorry for the double - but magickers that manage to stay alive don't cast themselves dry.  They would be smarter than that.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

>Read board 45
Word spreads that someone has been going about various taverns in Allanak, seeking able bodies to accompany him. Stories vary, but the general gist boiled down to this:
"Lookin' fer some lucky feckers 'ta go back in time with meh. I ain't shittin'. Find the mind o' Jek, a young, blond-haired man. You'll get paid when we get back. Bring yer own blades. Safety not guaranteed, I only ever did this crap once before."
A bard in the back begins to sing a song about a group of desert explorers pushing themselves to the limit.
LL ZALANTHANS ARE EQUAL

'Rinther stole my kank!
LL ZALANTHANS ARE EQUAL