re: Generic poison affects updated

Started by Agent_137, September 27, 2006, 01:42:12 AM

Indeed. It took a back seat to the daze code and went primarily uncommented.

It definitely rocks.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Some changes that went into the general poison effects:

1) if you cure the initial poison (dunno if magick curing is different), there are secondary effects that still last on your character until the poison wears off
2) secondary effects reduce your maximum hp for the duration of the poison
3) secondary effects nullify your ability to regenerate HP or stamina for the duration of the poison

I sort of like that general poison is far more deadly, but I'm also a little concerned that it's now one of the deadlier poisons around. A desert elf that gets poisoned out in the desert without the ability to regenerate stamina, could be in for some seriously bad news. I'm not sure that the no hp/stamina regen was what the coders originally had in mind as the lasting poison effects, as losing a tiny bit of maximum HP seems like absolutely nothing in comparison to the severe effects of no HP/stamina regen. If there was no maximum HP reduction made to these code changes, this poison would still be extremely deadly as an overall change.

It's cool that general poison is now something to be concerned about, but maybe decreasing the duration of the secondary poison effects might balance things out a little better, instead of having to wait about an IC day for your char to be able to regen hp/stamina again. Getting poisoned in the desert with this poison is quite a dangerous scenario, especially now with defense changes that get you hit more often, in an uncurable condition where your hp/stamina won't heal.

they don't last that long, in my experience.

But yea, if you get poisoned with it, and you don't have a cure, or you don't take it pretty darn soon, you're pretty much screwed. But I think that was the idea.

Quote from: "Agent_137"they don't last that long, in my experience.

But yea, if you get poisoned with it, and you don't have a cure, or you don't take it pretty darn soon, you're pretty much screwed. But I think that was the idea.

seconded. and poison seems like one of the harder skills to master.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "Agent_137"they don't last that long, in my experience.

In my experience, I've seen the new poison take effect twice, cured it immediately, and in both cases the secondary effects took 1.5 hours RL to disappear (about one IC day). Considering all treatable poisons except general poison have zero secondary effects on cure, I'd say 1.5 hours is fairly long in comparison.

I'm not saying this is a terribly bad thing, I'm just pointing out that this poison is definitely long lasting and definitely a danger because of its secondary effects, and not so much because of its primary effects before cure. Poisons are all meant to have bad effects without the cure, so that's not what this thread should be about, considering the only changes to the code are secondary effects changes after the cure.

I think it would be nice to have a hp and stamina affect, but not necessarily as drastic.  For example, slowing hp regen by five times, cutting stamina regen by half and dividing the regen by four (so most people would regen stamina half as fast, and when they do regen stamina, only get 2 instead of 8).  Of course, you could start with those increments, and decrease the impact until everything was normal, too.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I wonder if the length of time the effect lasts is affected by your character's endurance?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quotesecondary effects nullify your ability to regenerate HP or stamina for the duration of the poison

I might be mistaken, but I believe we've decided to take this particular effect out. The secondary effects won't change, but you should be able to regenerate HP and stamina once we update.
Welcome all to curtain call
At the opera
Raging voices in my mind
Rise above the orchestra
Like a crescendo of gratitude

General poison already kicked my ass pretty hard to begin with. Lost a vivaduan to it once. A frickin' vividuan. Granted, he was only about nine hours old...
*shrug*
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

work it, harder makes it better, do it, faster makes us stronger, more than ever, etc.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"General poison already kicked my ass pretty hard to begin with. Lost a vivaduan to it once. A frickin' vividuan. Granted, he was only about nine hours old...
*shrug*

I hadn't considered that. Can a vivaduan heal the longer term effects of the poison?

They should be able to.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "jmordetsky"Can a vivaduan heal the longer term effects of the poison?

They should be able to.
That's really something you should figure out IC, sorry, I hate to do it, but I need to.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff