Bad looking

Started by Spoon, September 24, 2006, 07:29:43 PM

Ok, I have my character look at themselves all the time. It's not actually in the background that I must roleplay them out to be a tart, it's just because you need to know how your PC looks to other people.

And other people do this too.

Now, the point is that with the new 'You notice' code, I keep noticing people looking at themselves, eg. You notice: The fat man looks at the fat man.

Is there any easy way of cutting this out?

That's actually when they assess themselves, not when they look at themselves.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Whoops. I can't work it out now, is this the code's problem, or the player's problem?

It's just how watch/assess work.  You could always idea having watch ignore the self-assessing.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

It would be nice, if not taken out entirely, the assess echo for this could be changed to something like:

You notice: The tall, muscular man looks over himself.

Instead of,

You notice: The tall, muscular man looks over the tall, muscular man.

I could be wrong, but the impression I've gotten is that the message "you notice the tall, muscular man glancing at the tall, muscular man" is generated when Person A does an assess on Person B, not just when they assess themselves. And I assume that this is because the "assess" command is comparative to one's own character...so technically you are glancing at yourself as well.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I agree, I don't like this. I don't mind so much if someone else sees me assessing them, but I usually use assess to see how I look to other players, since I have no idea how horrible my character is feeling, except HP wise. I want to know how my character should be feeling, if he's bleeding heavily or not, how I should roleplay the damage. I mean HP's only so specific.

Gawynn
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth

Remove 'notice' messages! Rah rah rah!

I don't mind this at all.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"I could be wrong, but the impression I've gotten is that the message "you notice the tall, muscular man glancing at the tall, muscular man" is generated when Person A does an assess on Person B, not just when they assess themselves. And I assume that this is because the "assess" command is comparative to one's own character...so technically you are glancing at yourself as well.

After a long perios of never seeing anyone assess anyone but themselves, I came to the same conclusion, and bugged it.  It would take either an Imm or an OOC test to finalize this.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I'm pretty sure I've seen people assessing other people.

I know this is something minor, but it's just another out of place thing in the code that super anal players like me huff at. I was just thinking that if it wasn't too much work to sort out, it could be removed.

Meh, I just don't pay any attention to it.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Rhyden"It would be nice, if not taken out entirely, the assess echo for this could be changed to something like:

You notice: The tall, muscular man looks over himself.

Instead of,

You notice: The tall, muscular man looks over the tall, muscular man.

this seems to be the simplest and best solution without another signficant code addition.