re: hard hits can 'daze' you

Started by Agent_137, September 20, 2006, 10:15:09 AM

I wonder if hard magickal hits also daze, too.. You should be dazed when 60 points are sliced from you with a single fireball.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Currently magickal affects don't daze you, but this is something we will look at adding.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I like it! Makes hg's even more powerful, hehehe. I can't wait to play another hg again so I can try out just how well it works.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

Realistic. Combat was already pretty tough... but, really, if a tembo bites off your arm, you should need a moment to collect yourself.
I like it.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

: <3's the code change
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Helps to make hgs more dangerous as they should be. That's cool.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

This.  Rocks.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Having just tested this out.. omgwtfholyshitkthximms.

Daze melts faces!
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Hmm, seems like it would give a little advantage to two-handed fighters.

Though, I have one question, can you flee while in the dazed state?  I'd hate to be caught up in a loop and die because a group suddenly insta-attacked me as I walked in.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Dalmeth"Hmm, seems like it would give a little advantage to two-handed fighters.

Though, I have one question, can you flee while in the dazed state?  I'd hate to be caught up in a loop and die because a group suddenly insta-attacked me as I walked in.

Good question, if you cannot flee while in the dazed state then it would create some instant death situations.

An armored bahamet has arrived from the north.
An armored bahamet visciously bites you on the head doing frightening damage!

>flee

You are too dazed to escape!

An armored bahamet bites you very hard on your body!

>flee

You are too dazed to escape!

BEEP!

That would piss me off bigtime.

Holy crap, I don't believe I will ever mess with a carru with -any- pc again with this code in place. The more I think about it the more it makes it very unbalanced because of the fact that npcs don't suffer from command lag.

Down with -more- death to npcs!!!

I would like to think that NPCs are affected by 'daze' too.
What's good for the Goose is good for the Gith.
quote="Dakkon Black"]Found salty oasis. Actually mek pee.[/quote]

:doesn't go outside for a while until he thoroughly tests this sparring.

Will follow up tonight with thoughts.

I'm a little scared of this...But I like things tough, so we'll see.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

FWIW, NPCs do face command lag.  If they don't, please send me a log with timestamps showing examples where they don't and it will be fixed.

When you are dazed your commands are queued up and and will run when you recover, much like having a delay from doing kick or bash or other post delay command.

It is possible to get continuously dazed and get killed, it's not likely, but it could happen.  If you run into issues with this, please send me a log of it, preferably with timestamps.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Thank god this went in after the "stop" command.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I don't know how it works yet, but it seems bound to happen and regularly at that.  The fact that being worse off increases the chances seals the deal.

It occurs to me that many NPCs were meant to be nearly deadly in the first couple of hits for the simple fact that most competent PCs would run.  This does seems to tip the balance a bit.

"Be impressed.  Now!"

I think NPC's have become much easier to fight, not harder, especially now that they do suffer from command lag.  But this affects both PC's and NPC's alike, so I can't see it unbalancing that really.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

My concerns/suggestions:

Hit location should heavily influence if you get dazed.  A hit to the hand just shouldn't daze you unless it took nearly all your hitpoints.  Hits to the head, neck and body should be more likely to daze; arms, legs and wrists a bit less, and feet and hands nearly impossible.

Daze should take into account your race and factors associated with that.  It should be really hard to daze half giants, almost impossible in fact.  It should be really hard to daze a mul, and impossible if they are in a rage.  Dwarves should be harder than humans.  It should also take into account certain other factors.  If a something is flying, and you daze it, it should stop flying and thus become more vulnerable to other certain things.  You shouldn't be able to daze undead.

Daze should take into account magick.  Certain magicks should protect against it happening as often.  Certain magicks should have the potential to daze the other.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Halaster"I think NPC's have become much easier to fight, not harder, especially now that they do suffer from command lag.  But this affects both PC's and NPC's alike, so I can't see it unbalancing that really.

Well, I don't really see how the change in combat lag effects things like bahamets and mekillots, which are the primary suspects in a death-by-daze case.

Then there's the fact that in group combat, harder hits are easier to come by against the weaker side.  So that's just asking for it.  Given how there are plenty of situations where rather nasty NPCs travel in groups, that's a bad situation.

"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Twilight"Hit location should heavily influence if you get dazed.  A hit to the hand just shouldn't daze you unless it took nearly all your hitpoints.  Hits to the head, neck and body should be more likely to daze; arms, legs and wrists a bit less, and feet and hands nearly impossible.
Hit locations are taken into account in that they provide multipliers to damage.  If you get hit extremely hard in the hand, it'll daze you.

Quote from: "Twilight"Daze should take into account your race and factors associated with that.  It should be really hard to daze half giants, almost impossible in fact.  It should be really hard to daze a mul, and impossible if they are in a rage.  Dwarves should be harder than humans.  
There are factors involved in how easy it is to daze someone which aren't directly tied to race, but due to their attributes make it so.  Muls in rage are not affected by daze.

Quote from: "Twilight"It should also take into account certain other factors.  If a something is flying, and you daze it, it should stop flying and thus become more vulnerable to other certain things.  You shouldn't be able to daze undead.
I guess it depends on the flying type.  We will look at this.  Dazing undead is a question we'll also have to think on.

Quote from: "Twilight"Daze should take into account magick.  Certain magicks should protect against it happening as often.  Certain magicks should have the potential to daze the other.
There is a spell that will protect you against being dazed, it's just not documented.  The idea of having spells daze others is on the block for discussion.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

mehhh I'm scared of this.  sure hope bash and kick are not included in the things affected by this. as if being thrown to the ground isn't enough of a lag. although if you removed the lag after being hit to the ground and instead make it so your 'dazed' when you get bashed I guess that might work.

EDITED BY HALASTER
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I'd like to point out that I really do like this whole thing, but it creates some instances where you just aren't allowed to screw up, and that concerns me.

I won't be going out less because of it, because it would only affect me on those rare occasions where the code has conspired to send me into the realm of Truly Screwed.  The thing is, those situations are a part of every character's life, and with the way things are, it just puts more advantage to the bad situation coming out nowhere.

Particularly, I refer to the inability to look diagonally, and the way combat tends to work, where you either hit your opponent and dodge its attacks or your opponent hits you and dodges your attacks.  Also, having played entirely from a human standpoint, this makes riders even more vulnerable.

In the wilderness, using stealth tactics would be a wonderful option, if that didn't mean leaving behind your ride, which would trot off with the next person that comes along.  Though, an idea just occured to me : riders could possibly walk their mounts along while taking stealth precautions, but something just doesn't seem right about that from a realism standpoint.

In the end though, I guess most of these problems would be solved by travelling in groups, but where's the fun in that?

"Be impressed.  Now!"

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's realistic and in some ways it's very cool, but I don't like if the following scenarios are possible:

>n
The North Road [NESW]

>n
The North Road [NES]

The short and thick figure in a cloak has arrived from the east.
The figure in a cloak has arrived from the east.
The tall figure in a cloak has arrived from the east.

The short and thick figure in a cloak attacks you!
The short and thick figure in a cloak slashes your leg.
The short and thick figure in a cloak slashes you very hard on the body.
You are dazed!
>flee
The figure in a cloak attacks you!
You deftly parry the figure in a cloak's attack.
The figure in a cloak lightly slashes your leg.
flee
>flee
The tall figure in a cloak attacks you!
The tall figure in a cloak chops your wrist.
The tall figure in a cloak solidly chops your head.
You are dazed!
>fleeeeeee
The short and thick figure in a cloak wounds your body with a brutal slash.
The short and thick figure in a cloak solidly slashes your wrist.
You are dazed!

Repeat until dead.

or...

The big old mekillot has arrived from the east.

The big old mekillot attacks you!
The big old mekillot claws your body, doing frightening damage.
You are dazed!

The big old mekillot claws your leg, inflicting a grievous wound.
You are dazed!

The big old mekillot claws your neck, doing frightening damage.
Welcome to Armageddon!

Both are situations which might be realistic but that I can't see bringing anything good to the game.
b]YB <3[/b]