Chronicles of the failed idea

Started by daedroug, September 06, 2006, 05:15:02 PM

Ok. let's here em.
old and new
stupid or intuitive
serious or silly
unrealistic or well founded

I want to hear about all the failed ideas (and even some of the ones that actually were put into the game because of player support on the boards) that have been run through here in attempt to be put into the game or just to get some feedback.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Once when I was new I thought I had a great idea about letting people hang out near their bodies as a ghost for a little while to see the aftermath of their death.

Character concept: Pimp.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Elven tribe in Tuluk

-Failed because I died early

I have a lot of script ideas that I would like to see, but they probably will never go in because it needs a lot of work for them to be complete.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

An underground organisation in Tuluk.  Failed because of RL work and some other stuff that was going on IG.
some of my posts are serious stuff

A well funded travelling group of explorers and adventurers who do the daring things, like find Steinal!

Unfortunately storytellers wanted to tell the story of me dying instead. heh.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

All of them?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

The Silt Sea Submarine.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "jmordetsky"All of them?
Yes ALL of them :twisted:

I actually had more the coded ideas in mind but this works :lol:
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Hunter and Prey...
it's in the Submissions thread...
Everybody HATED it.
I'm sad.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Just thought i'd throw up some of my own failed ideas.

including of course the most recent the direct pay for renting apartments:
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22269

Ummm Auto log out for those poor link dead characters:
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22033

Ranger party quit out:
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20166

And then one of my first and most deffinatly my favorite, the dynamic Main description code:
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16128
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

Ooh, another failed idea that I and others have brought up over the years: adding 'who' information to the main website.

My idea of switching desert rooms.

So you would be ontop of a dune, go east, be on the side of a dune. then go back west and have a chance of being on the side of the dune, ontop of a dune, or between dunes. That would happen for every room. I always thought it'd make the deserts a little more confusing and not so "path" orientated.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

QuoteSo you would be ontop of a dune, go east, be on the side of a dune. then go back west and have a chance of being on the side of the dune, ontop of a dune, or between dunes. That would happen for every room. I always thought it'd make the deserts a little more confusing and not so "path" orientated.

This wouldn't make sense if it happened seconds after you just crested a dune, but I like the idea in the sense that, dunes could move.

If rooms rotated positions ever few ic hours, so dunes that were one room from lets say a cliff, were now two rooms, or even up against the cliff. Frick would that be rad.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Dunes moving would not make much difference.  In a dune dominated area, there is not just one dune.  Since a room spans about 1.5 miles (I am not exactly sure about the distance but I know it is more than 1 mile) there are many dunes, with hills and skirts.  So it would not make a difference if all the dunes moved randomly at all.

If a dune is big enough to take an entire outside room by itself, then I think it would not move at all anyway.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I think it would be pretty cool, just as long as the main landmarks don't move. Except for twinks, then they can move about as much as they want :twisted:

As for it not mattering, although rooms cover that much area when your talking about outside the actual room description usually only describes the immediate area. Also a dune that would cover such a large area would move, maybe not quiet as quickly or maybe just as fast as any of the smaller dunes. I deffinatly think it would move though especially since it would have a lot more area for the wind to hit, so unless it had some rock that was causing it to pile up there, it would eventually spread out move or split up.
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

A concept where my PC reminds the entire population of Zalanthas that we all live on a silt sea Submarine, a silt sea submarine, a silt sea submarine.  We all live in a silt sea submarine, a silt sea submarine, a silt sea marine...

And our friends are all on board.  Many more of them live next door
And the band begins to play.  

Eventually my PC marries an obscure artist in Tuluk and breaks up his band, much to the anger of his fan base.

He writes some okay, but not great, poetry and is eventually assassinated.
Man, if you're just a ninja so long as nobody launches a hacky-sack into your junk at 200-mph, then you, sir, are no ninja.

I special apped a silt horror once.

Here is my only failed idea I find worth mentioning :

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15669&highlight=weapon

I still like the idea, too.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"