Your most dissatisfying deaths

Started by Tired and a little sad, August 25, 2006, 11:43:46 PM

make a mercenary from the farms of allanak.

Gives you a great excuse to not know two shits about the world, and another great excuse to be warrior subclass and fight for a living.

Welcome to Armageddon.

Killed by one of those uber, large group of soldier mobs during a large scale battle.

It went something like this:

Your character slashes Lord Foofypants hard on the head!

Crazy_templar sics a large group of half-giants on you!

The large group of half-giants crush your head!

*beep*

It took me five minutes to read through the spam to figure out what happend to my character. When I did, I felt tears welling up.

:cry:
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

With a rinther once, was walking about, got attacked by a mugger and ran away. Got to a bar, and thought I would be safe in there, until the mugger ran in. And then 5 of the bar patrons gangbanged me within 5 seconds. Wewt.

Lost a 34 day old character (most favoritest character ever) to not knowing that 'plant' can get you crimcoded. I thought it was just an hemote version of give or something. I felt so incredibly dumb.

Quote from: "Nightstring"Lost a 34 day old character (most favoritest character ever) to not knowing that 'plant' can get you crimcoded. I thought it was just an hemote version of give or something. I felt so incredibly dumb.

Yea. :(
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "Vessol"With a rinther once, was walking about, got attacked by a mugger and ran away. Got to a bar, and thought I would be safe in there, until the mugger ran in. And then 5 of the bar patrons gangbanged me within 5 seconds. Wewt.

haha

That tavern has been siding with NPCs for the last 14+ years, regardless of clan affiliation. It's hilarious.

A Tavern Full of Random People in the Rinth [NS]
A human vagabond is standing here, sharpening a notched knife.
A burly, muscular man is guarding the southern door, blades drawn.
A bristle-bearded bartender is here by the bar, serving drinks.
A hunchbacked man is stooped here, eyeing the room warily.

The stooped elf has arrived from the north.

The stooped elf looks down at you.

The stooped elf squints at you, then sniffs you.

Looking at you skeptically, the stooped elf asks, in allundean:
    "You a PC or an NPC?"

A human vagabond looks at you.

A burly, muscular man looks at you.

A burly, muscular man says, in sirihish:
    "Wearing a few too many items there, aren't ya, pal?"

Chuckling from beneath the cowl of his dirty cloak, a human vagabond says, in sirihish:
    "Description's a little long, ain't it?"

The stooped elf shakes his head, tapping your shoulder with a long, wickedly sharp fang.

A human vagabond joins the stooped elf's fight!
A burly, muscular man joins the stooped elf's fight!
A hunchbacked man joins the stooped elf's fight!

Quote from: "Agent_137"make a mercenary from the farms of allanak.

Gives you a great excuse to not know two shits about the world, and another great excuse to be warrior subclass and fight for a living.

Welcome to Armageddon.

Hah, that's exactly my character concept! Sent it in for application an hour ago.

:x

That's me, throwing a temper tantrum.

Flaming Octillo is soooo right.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Here's a good one from a long time ago, when I was just starting out. I had a character walking between Red Storm and Allanak when a mekillot barged in. I dash off, all the way to Allanak! Having reached safety inside the gates, I switch windows to...ICQ (remember ICQ?). I switch back a minute later to find that the mekillot has tracked me to the city, stomped through the gates, and massacred every guard in its path. I look back just to see him gut the last guard, and chomp down the prey it had wanted so badly...me.

Here's another one. A long time back, I had put a lot of work into a character in the 'rinth. He finally started running with the crowd he'd been searching for for a long time. He teams up with a mul, and while in the alley, they cross an elf they had beef with. So, naturally they jump him! The mul subdues the elf, drags him to the well, and throws him down. Then, certain we needed to finish the elf off shouts "After him!". I'm, of course, following. I see this (Leeeeeeroooooooy!), and pee myself, scrambling to type "follow self", but too late. The mul jumps in, I jump in, we both fall, and land unconscious next to the unconscious elf. Let's just say...we didn't wake up first.

I don't have the log anymore, but it went something like this.

> e
The gates of allanak.
Some buff guards are here, guarding the gate.
A human soldier is here.
A half-giant PC is here.

>e
A human soldier inspects your belongings briefly.
A human soldier finds a strange mushroom.

East of the gate
Here you are east of the gate, there is a big pit or something here.
About 8 half-giant NPC soldiers are here.
About 5 human npc soldiers are also here.

A male voice shouts from the west:
 "Stop him!"

You are now wanted!

A half-giant attempts to subdue you but you struggle away.
A half-giant insta-draws both clubs, attacking you!
Fifteen NPC soldiers joins the half-giants fight!
Your vision goes black.

> think oh shit.
That is not a valid option.

Options are:
Connect, whatever.

For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

This is basically an entire 'genre' of deaths, I imagine it happens quite a bit.

Dying for things you did NOT do and try everything to prove otherwise, but you still end up taking blame for it.  Makes you wonder for ages afterwards who the hell set you up so damn good, or what was misunderstood and screwed you over.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I can't believe people still play this game...

A long time ago (1996?) my favorite PC of all time, a Blackwing assassin, died alone while I was out exploring (read: bored) at the hands of 4 NPCs that I didn't expect to see.  I still remember my heart pounding in my chest as I sat back from the keyboard and thought, "Shit.  That just happened." followed by, "Fuck, I can't believe I lost that dagger."

It was just so...lame.

Quote from: "Armaddict"This is basically an entire 'genre' of deaths, I imagine it happens quite a bit.

Dying for things you did NOT do and try everything to prove otherwise, but you still end up taking blame for it.  Makes you wonder for ages afterwards who the hell set you up so damn good, or what was misunderstood and screwed you over.

Amen to that.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I had just come over from a hack and slash called "Magick" or some such, (now closed) and jumped into the game with a brand new newbie PC, got hired by Oash and was running along enjoying myself and my new uniform, until I entered the traders inn. A templar made some kind of comment about my eyes (they were red) to a fellow noble, and then had his NPC guards subdue me, and I was killed soon after by them. That was about five years ago. I suppose I was the templar's quota for the day *shrug* That was the only death i can say that i remember or left a sour taste in my mouth.

QuoteA templar made some kind of comment about my eyes (they were red) to a fellow noble,

If you ask me, you got damn lucky. At least you were killed for a good reason. And yes, having red freaking eyes is a good reason to kill somebody. Witches in an uneducated society burned for less.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

bullshit.

mutations are common in zalanthas.

the templar was played poorly.

Quotebullshit.

That sounds about as ignorant of everything arm is about right there as it gets. People can kill you for any reason. Templars especially over anyone else can kill you for any reason they want. It's not a fair society. How do you know he didn't have a childhood trauma where his parents were killed by a red eyed man?
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I had a pretty neat character who got caught by an evil person. Said evil person did some evil things to my character, but spared my life and left me somewhere to recover. Recover I did, and started hauling ass, when three rooms later an NPC killed me in two rounds of combat. It was really anti-climatic after having survived some great but really scary RP.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Agent_137"bullshit.

I disagree somewhat. First of all, the templar didnt mean to kill the guy but only to throw him out of Trader's inn, it's because the HG messed up that the death occured. Second of all, while the mutation is rampant in Zalanthan, it is not in Trader's Inn. Dirt and grime is even more rampant in Zanathan, but you can get thrown out out of Trader's inn for that too. It's not like that templar was walking through the city, performing  eugenic purgings. He just chose to keep his favourite upscale Tavern upsale. The fact that the Templar did that to someone wearing Oashi colours suprises me though.

Quote from: "Dakkon Black"
Quotebullshit.

That sounds about as ignorant of everything arm is about right there as it gets. People can kill you for any reason. Templars especially over anyone else can kill you for any reason they want. It's not a fair society. How do you know he didn't have a childhood trauma where his parents were killed by a red eyed man?

Dumb.

In anarchy, people kill you for profit. For a gain.

Psychopaths kill people for kicks.

So, only poorly played characters kill for "any reason," with the excuse that "it's zalanthas."

I expect people to be killed for cheap, but not for nothing. Templars with attitudes like yours turn me off on zalanthan politics, because that sort of reasoning is so nonsensical.

Folker, that's now how I read it. If that's the case, well, woops, shit happens. And I agree it's a good thing that the tavern is kept upscale. It should not be the barrel.

That said, my worst death by far is being killed in one round of combat while armed by 3 previously tamed beasts that were suddenly no longer tame.

p.s.

Dakkon, alright, say he had a fair reason, like the "murdered parents" scenario. So if he had a good reason, then consider he's a templar in a position of complete safety and power. He should live up to his special-application and make the death taste good. Give a reason, give a scene. He didn't.

Hrm, after rereading the post, I see where I might've made the wrong assumption. Usually if the Templar has you subdued like that, it's just to get the HG to shove you into some random direction, perfect for throwing people out. If he got you subdued just to immobolize you and then one round killed you, then yeah, that was pretty subpar. Templars are like the showman of death, they should be more hurrendous then that.

Quote from: "HoD"I had just come over from a hack and slash called "Magick" or some such, (now closed) and jumped into the game with a brand new newbie PC, got hired by Oash and was running along enjoying myself and my new uniform, until I entered the traders inn. A templar made some kind of comment about my eyes (they were red) to a fellow noble, and then had his NPC guards subdue me, and I was killed soon after by them. That was about five years ago. I suppose I was the templar's quota for the day *shrug* That was the only death i can say that i remember or left a sour taste in my mouth.

To play Devils Advocate for both you and the Templar in question:

1. When I see "NPC" "subdue" and "killed" in the same sentance, I immediatly think "the infamouse crime code" reared it's ugly head.  I've seen many instances where the PC "in controle" of the NPC guards had someone subdued and for some silly reason ("silly" as in trivial or missunderstood) the NPC decided that their captive needed to die.  Chalk it up to code problems.  Also, as has been pointed out, Templar's can have you killed for whatever reason they care for as they are not held up to any sort of justice system but their own.  Everyday peons are holding the short, oderous end of the shit-stick.  From what it sounds like, the character who died had red eyes.  That's a Tuluki color and therefor a "bad thing" or at the least a "take-note-of" thing in Allanak, be it mutation or not.

2.  At the same time, I too have felt strongly at times that PC Templars are all to prone to killing off another PC.  Be this true or just my anger-clouded version of the event,  there have been several times where I've felt cheated out of some good interation by a Templar simply walking in, not likeing my PC for whatever reason, taking them into custody, executing my PC...with what I felt were lack luster scenes and interactions...maybe it's my RL self that is reacting to these situations.  IG, the Templar can do exactly what he did for whatever reasons that he wants and does not have to explain himself to you.  It's obviouse that he can..he just did.  IRL, this is a gross missuse of the powers of the legal system and power in general, and being raised with the values that I have, I find this disgusting and outragouse...

...then I remember that it's just a game..and that I really do play it for the brutality  :roll:

So, my sympathies to you and I'm glad that it didn't put you off so much that you didn't stick around to try it again.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I have to add to this that in alot of cases I've seen, pcs who are in danger of a templar's whim tend to deal with it stupidly and pretty much -force- the templar to kill them. I've seen that as the case alot more often than I've seen the templar just jump the gun and kill them.
If someone who has "the power of god" backing them has you in your clutches, you kiss ass, beg, whatever the fuck will keep you alive, unless you have a death wish.
Most cases that I've witness where a pc died to a templar's decision, it was brought on by the pc themselves. The decision to die, 90% of the time, was made by the pc.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D