Mood...

Started by da kank, August 09, 2006, 06:54:00 PM

I will start out by saying I am not sure where this post should go...But here goes.

I have noticed, over my time playing, that OOC mood effects IC personality. Most of the time I dont realize it, but I have started to, recently. If I am mad IRL, my character will be somewhat reclusive and irritable. However, if I am in a good mood, my character will be kind, friendly, and very un-zalanthian. This only happens in extreme circumstances when I am feeling -VERY- happy :D /sad :( /mad :evil: ..... Anyone else notice this with your characters?

Definately.  If I'm a bit spaced out for some reason or another, I won't be as smooth in my roleplay or communicative.  However, if I'm feeling particularly inspired, I'll be typing something worthy of logging.

I don't find that much wrong with it, really.  Honestly, if your character concept is so rigid that you can't fit your moods with your character, then I'm inclined to say there is a problem.  Characters have moodswings too.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Yeah, I do that a lot.  Just roll with it and unless its against your
character's role to have occasional mood swings, treat it as his/her
own.

I try to give my character IC reasons to follow my mood patterns a little bit. If I'm irritable, I might give him some sort of soreness or injury that makes him short with people. If I'm distracted, I'll make him thoughtful, etc.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Happens to me, definitely.  I try my best not to let my RL mood affect my PC, but that's a very hard thing to separate and do.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

OOC emotions slipping is okay like others have said PC have emotions and mood swings too, however more likely then not after 30 mins you'll forget RL stresses or whatever and be more 'intune' with your PC.

Actually bit of OOC personality and traits slipping through into the PC is actually very common. Its usually almost impossible to avoid because frankly the players themselves don't notice that they are doing it. Especially as the situations become 'faster' or more intense and people have less chance to completely think through the question of 'What would this PC do, given the background, experiences, environment, etc, etc'?

Unfortunately though sometimes it can go to a bit of an extreme for example sometimes someone behavior, ideas or attitude on the forums can be easily noticed in PC they play. Or they play different background or description but its still the 'same' PC. Again people don't do this on purpose and most don't notice anyways but its still there. Its probably one of the reasons i will always quietly advocate people who post alot on the forums use different GDB clan names. If only to avoid the perception of 'elitism', the imms know who you are that should be good enough but i disgress and derail.

Actually this is something I try to do a lot.  When I'm angry IRL I do a better job of RP'ing anger so why not draw from that?  When I'm sad I roleplay that my character is sad because then I'll be my most emo.

If it is totally unrealistic for my character to feel the way I do in real life then I won't but whenever the opportunity presents itself I will.

I actually get the reverse a lot, too.

If I'm being put in a situation I don't enjoy for IC reasons, I'll get moody/bitchy OOC.

To the point that my roommate asks, "Are you OK? What's wrong?"
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Quote from: "Djarjak"I actually get the reverse a lot, too.

If I'm being put in a situation I don't enjoy for IC reasons, I'll get moody/bitchy OOC.

To the point that my roommate asks, "Are you OK? What's wrong?"

This happens to me, too. RP situations that make my character upset or grouchy make me grouchy OOC.

One thing I hate.... stupid PMS creeps up on me and makes me make weird RP decisions because my brain is like an alien implant at that time. Then the next day I am asking myself in horror, "Why did I -DO- that????

I try not to play much if I'm in a mood that I can't justify my PC being in.  I find it a tad difficult to RP being sad when OOCly I'm happy, or vice versa.

And there have been plenty of times when IC mood affects me.  I've been known to shed a few tears from time to time when a PC of mine does.  What can I say?  I'm just a sensitive gal.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

It sometimes pour into my RP. Often, it happens when I am sleepy and something drags me along Zalanthas for an extra hour or more. Being bored is one of those things that really has an affect on me and my character, because you are sitting there watching the same text on the screen for hours.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

No matter what my mood is prior to logging in, Arm does tend to mellow me out.  I'm a crack junkie like that.  The exception to the rule is when I'm playing a frustrating character, but then Arm makes me frustrated no matter what I'm feeling prior to logging in.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

It happens to us all.  Let's face it, we're not paid actors.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

Actually I think it's a good thing. Everyone has mood swings IRL, so why shouldn't your chars have them too?

Nothing bothers me like a char who is ALWAYS happy every time I meet them, or ALWAYS depressed, etc.

I love it when chars have different moods, and one day your friend might be active and excited, and the next quiet and thoughfull. Might as well let them ride my moods I figure. Specially because that usually means they are randy mudsexxors.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

One thing's for sure:

If I were to be sucked into Zalanthas, I wouldn't last 3 minutes.

i have no emotion./:
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

:mansa:=  :mrgreen:
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I have no problem with moods OOC slipping into IC. When I log in, I am no longer the big-dick pimp from Cali, I am a threadbare killer from Zalanthas. I can completely disjoint myself from my character.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870