Safe in the rinth

Started by Rinther Girl, August 08, 2006, 09:27:59 PM

Would it be possible to add a piece of code to items that would allow rinthers to determine if carrying or wearing something will get you killed in the rinth? IE:

A set of tattered rags looks like a beggar wouldn't wear it
A set of tattered rags can be worn on the torso.
A set of tattered rags looks like it will fit you.
A set of tattered rags looks like what a 'rinther would wear.

OR

A blood stained shirt looks like a beggar wouldn't wear it
A blood stained shirt can be worn on the torso.
A blood stained shirt looks like it will fit you.
A blood stained shirt looks like it would get you mugged in the 'rinth.

I don't really know how hard this would be but as the NPCs can already tell what makes them hate you and what doesn't, couldn't you just make that visible somehow to players? I think this would dramatically improve survivability in the 'rinth.

I like that would help noobs and myself out alot...
an people in Zalanthas get along? no, you know why? we all HATE EACHOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an extremely good idea.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Assuming it's a single flag on items rather than the cumulative value of what you're wearing...

Only if it was applied to people that 'point labyrinth' from the HoK would I support this idea.

Editted to add: And Moe, from my experience it is individual items rather than cumulative, and the mugger NPCs actually TELL you why they're mugging you when they attempt the mugging.  It's always something (heavily paraphrased) like: "That's a nice checkered shirt with pockets on the front.  Think I'll take it."  I've seen them take multiple items, though, so I think the script governing them just picks one at random, highest value, or first on the list in these cases when determining what the mugger says.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Only if it was applied to people that 'point labyrinth' from the HoK would I support this idea.

I agree it should be rinther only. After all, you've lived your whole life in the rinth, wouldn't you get a feel for what will get you attacked by your fellow rinthers?

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"Assuming it's a single flag on items rather than the cumulative value of what you're wearing...

If its not item based but personal then couldn't you add it to assess for 'rinthers?

IE:

assess -v me
Someone is in excellent condition.
Someone does not look tired.
Someone looks like a typical 'rinther.

OR

assess -v me
Someone is in excellent condition.
Someone does not look tired.
Someone looks like she would get mugged in the 'rinth.

I think item flags for 'rinthers to tell if it's too valuable is a great idea, but I don't like the idea of flagging players that way. You'd have to look at them and judge for yourself. Once you get accustomed to the 'rinth, you can usually tell at a glance if someone is dressing too flashy for the alleys.
b]YB <3[/b]

I like it.

Though I have to admit "add one item and see if you get mugged, add another item and see if you get mugged" makes for an amusing sub-game when times are slow.   :P  All you really need is a dark hooded cloak and maybe a ratty loincloth.  Once you have your dark hooded cloak everything else is just showing off.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

think when you look at an item it is usually good enough, plus how do you
know what you will be mugged for seriously. The guys near a gang HQ that
are decked out might ignore you but, those trio of kids need anything they
can trade for some bread so they will still come at you.

Also if you plan on playing in the rinth you should be a bit focused on detail
(on of the beauties of the rinth) and if anything on your clothing makes you
think wow I would want to buy then, then someone else is thinking wow I
would want to steal that.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

If you're being attacked by a 'rinthi NPC for a piece of gear, he'll tell you what he's after.  My suggestion if that happens, btw, is to flee immediately.  Don't stick around to see if you're tougher than he is; you probably aren't.  We're not going to give you instant knowledge of what things are attractive to 'rinthi NPCs, but I'll give you a good guideline now:  anything worth more than a decent meal (not a lousy meal, a decent one) is probably worth the effort.

If you need expensive gear, I suggest keeping your newbie-gear (or some other sufficiently worthless outfit) to change back into as you wander through the 'rinth.

-- X

Quote from: "Xygax"'ll give you a good guideline now:  anything worth more than a decent meal (not a lousy meal, a decent one) is probably worth the effort.

That's good advice, but if it stays in this thread it will never be seen by more than a tiny handful of players, and certainly not enough newbies who will be slaughtered in the 'rinth because they bought that nice pair of boots.

Doesn't the 'rinth info section on the main site specifically warn against that, Cale_Knight?
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

The problem is that there is no way to tell the value of a piece of clothing just by looking at it. For instance, if a newbie finds a shirt on a dead body with a short desc along the lines of "a filthy/bloody such and such" on a dead NPC and the desc says that it is just a simple linen/cotton whatever that is also filthy/bloody then they may assume it is safe to wear. Then bam they get attacked, lag/can't flee in time, and die. Shazam frustrated PC, and yet the solution is so easy.

Really, wouldn't it make sense that people in the 'rinth would know what they would kill over if they've lived there their whole life? As it stands right now PCs are being forced to engage in an OOC game of figure out the NPCs attack code.

When in doubt, dress down.  Also consult the help file on the "value" skill which does just what you want, or try the item out with a few merchants.  Your newbie gear will also work, as I just suggested.

-- X

I would support this idea but seemingly it is not going to be implemented.

In that case, rinther girl before you wear something you are not sure of its value, I suggest go to a shop and offer the item.  You will have an idea what you can buy with that one if you can sell it.   I never had a rinther PC with the value skill, but I used that as reference for all my rinther PCs.
some of my posts are serious stuff

It's a good idea. Period.

Don't take this as antagonistic, but I thought the 'rinth was supposed to be a challenge?  Much like a wilderness within the city?  And I thought that people who survived the 'rinth did so by trial and error, and came out with valuable game experience.  I mean, I guess newbies could try it, but is it such a tragedy when they die, over and over?  That's armageddon.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

You are wrong some npc's dont say what there after and just kill u, i have experianced this before.
an people in Zalanthas get along? no, you know why? we all HATE EACHOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: "Gricker"You are wrong some npc's dont say what there after and just kill u, i have experianced this before.

Yes this is also true.

But NPCs coded for trapping you and mugging you do say what they are after.  Some loner thugs though, they just explain their reasoning after giving the beating.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I think this whole line of thinking is tragic.  A rinther should have a coded cruch to know what to wear or where to go(or not go)?  By that reasoning all nomads should get a map of their native area including the low-down on local fauna, wildlife etc.  I mean, they were born there.  They would know, right?  People with the background of a cook should have a nice list of crafting recipes included with their approval letter?  Where does it stop?  Or to phrase it another way: What makes the rinth the exception to the tried and true method that is armageddon ie DISCOVERY!!!!

You want to play a rinther?  Make one and be prepared to die.  Think it's too tough?  Don't play a rinther.  I mean, hell, the current incarnation of the rinth is a CAKEWALK compared to what it used to be.  These days there is a reason behind the npc's actions (those who say there isn't just don't get it.  Keep trying) unlike the past where it WAS just a maze of aggressive mobs.

Blah.  This thread has included plenty of good advice on how to survive and make do in the rinth.  If you applied said advice you'd do just fine.  If you don't want to, your perogative, just don't hold your breath for staff to make the rinth kid-safe.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

There could be a friendly NPC doing the same as the thugs - just outside the Labyrinth.

The bright-eyed kiddo says to you, "I'd be careful in the 'rinth with that dagger, mister! I would, I would!"

Should work.
Be the change you want to see in the world( of Armageddon).

Or even a thug right at the entrance of Hathor's way.

The tall figure in the shabby cloak leers at your silk, jewel-encrusted boots.

So, let's pretend that sort of warning is implemented.
How would you explain that sudden streak of insight to your character?
Why and how does he know that his boots of no value to any other Rinthi?

If PC would decide that he wants your boots anyways, what would you do with all your mystic knowledge?
Will you accuse him in powergaming, because you know better what he needs and what he doesn't?

Also, if you want everyone to be safe from mugging script, why didn't you ask to remove it completely, instead of imagining helpful faeries to guide you through alleys?

Also, why do you want to change a gaming world to fit your boots instead of walking barefoot?

I don't particularly care for the idea of someone who stands outside the Rinth telling people that their crap will get them mugged.  At least not for free.  It should have some fee or catch attatched to it.

And it's the Rinth.  It's not supposed to be safe for anyone, even its inhabitants.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Marc"I think this whole line of thinking is tragic.  A rinther should have a coded cruch to know what to wear or where to go(or not go)?  By that reasoning all nomads should get a map of their native area including the low-down on local fauna, wildlife etc.  I mean, they were born there.  They would know, right?  People with the background of a cook should have a nice list of crafting recipes included with their approval letter?  Where does it stop?  Or to phrase it another way: What makes the rinth the exception to the tried and true method that is armageddon ie DISCOVERY!!!!

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/slipslop.html