Safe in the rinth

Started by Rinther Girl, August 08, 2006, 09:27:59 PM

jcarter:  I think Marc's argument is an analogy, not a slippery slope.  He's not saying, "if A happens, then B, C, D will happen, D is bad so A should not happen".  He's saying "A happening would be equivalent to B happening.  B shouldn't happen, and A is equally untenable".  His "B" is more extreme, but the parallels are believable.

-- X

I really don't care for the idea.

I think the danger and the challenge are good. If you die a few times learning your way around then you do. I think that's ok.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

You know, some of it is common sense.  Don't pick clothing that looks like 'southside commoner clothing' over the 'looks like some homeless person sleeping behind a midden heap because I get less people bothering me that way clothing.'  Don't wear stuff that makes you look like a badass, because people like testing themselves on badasses...or testing the badasses on themselves, depends on how you think about it.

...and some of it is knowing that you may have to type 'flee' at any moment.  Making it a macro that you could easily hit at moment's notice ain't a bad idea, if you're playing in the 'Rinth...hell, it ain't a bad idea for the rest of the world too.  If you get attacked, figure out why.  Don't do it again...but be ready to flee so that you don't get dead so easily.  That's my advice on how to learn from experience in the game.  Living to fight another day sometimes requires just doing it, especially since NPCs rarely take the time to emote.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I can see the logic allowing someone who has lived their whole life in the 'rinth to know if an item would be considered too valuable by most 'rinth standards, i.e the common mugger NPC.

Or is it more preferable that OOC knowledge determines what your PC knows?

I believe it's been said before that a good rule of thumb is that your starting gear and items you can buy in the rinth won't get you attacked.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Unfortunately, that isn't true.  There is clothing and armor available that is not safe.  Be careful and think people.  That's your best advice.

Your starting gear is safe, though.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

There are Rinthi shops and then there are Rinthi shops. Some are safe and some aren't.

As a rule of thumb, if Rinthi shop's list reveals to you Templar's robes, silvery silk gowns, Borsail's winged helmets, gem-encrusted bronze daggers and steel dragon statues then it doesn't really proves that they are safe for you to purchase and wear.

So, if spawnloser's advice about using common sense doesn't work for someone, then Cuusardo's advice about shops won't help them either.

Actually, like no other part of the game, all mugging script's aspects are pretty much covered in this and dozens of similar threads. It's no longer part of DISCOVERY, all is left is a test for your common sense. If people keep on asking for more OOC info, then I don't think that Marc's analogy is at all extreme.

That said, I think this thread must be locked and all participants must be banned.

Quote from: "Doppelganger"
That said, I think this thread must be locked and all participants must be banned.
It takes two hands to open this safe. The manager has only one.

I guess it would be IC sensitive to ask if there is a drink of water to be had in the rinth? Food?

I was able to survive in the Rinth for about an hour and what litle food I saw was friggin' expensive.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: EonBlueApocalypse on August 09, 2006, 05:53:46 PM
Don't take this as antagonistic, but I thought the 'rinth was supposed to be a challenge?  Much like a wilderness within the city?  And I thought that people who survived the 'rinth did so by trial and error, and came out with valuable game experience.  I mean, I guess newbies could try it, but is it such a tragedy when they die, over and over?  That's armageddon.

Seems like Nethack to me, not Armageddon. Die and die until you finally "win".
Lunch makes me happy.

Except that ultimately, you can't win in armageddon. It's little wins until you die horribly.

Xygax said what needed to be said. Hell, I'm pleasantly surprised that Xygax posted as much pointers and answers in this thread as he did. Trial and error, erring on the side of caution, and maybe a little luck is all a newbie needs to survive and learn. If they die, then that's more phat loot for me without having to lift a finger. No need to add code to cull the flow of noob-corpse fortune into such destitute areas as the Labyrinth.. I mean, come on. Both PC's and NPC's like to afford a good ratburger and petoch-wine combo meal now and again too, you know.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

Quote from: Mr.B on December 16, 2009, 10:32:11 AM
Except that ultimately, you can't win in armageddon. It's little wins until you die horribly.

Xygax said what needed to be said. Hell, I'm pleasantly surprised that Xygax posted as much pointers and answers in this thread as he did. Trial and error, erring on the side of caution, and maybe a little luck is all a newbie needs to survive and learn. If they die, then that's more phat loot for me without having to lift a finger. No need to add code to cull the flow of noob-corpse fortune into such destitute areas as the Labyrinth.. I mean, come on. Both PC's and NPC's like to afford a good ratburger and petoch-wine combo meal now and again too, you know.

Mr. B and I never have and agreed or gotten along..Until He had to go and post
the above. QFT
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Cind on December 16, 2009, 07:36:45 AM
I guess it would be IC sensitive to ask if there is a drink of water to be had in the rinth? Food?

I was able to survive in the Rinth for about an hour and what litle food I saw was friggin' expensive.
I don't think it is too IC sensitive to say that there is food and water to be had.  You can pay for it, which is the method most PCs have to take in the Rinth.  There is little available for scrounging in any way that you could scrounge, but there is stuff to be scrounged too.

Just keep in mind that if you're scrounging, it really shouldn't be that hard to work up enough coins for something to eat/drink in the Rinth.  It just takes some effort.

The question that comes along is, where do you draw the line with what PCs know? Should areas where crime could be committed in the city be flagged because criminals should knows? I do agree that having to wait to get attacked is far from the perfect way to find out,  but I don't think players should have a flawless way of determining what is safe or not. The docs on the rinth make it fairly clear. If anything needs changing at all maybe it should simply be made more obvious that wearing almost anything obtained from outside then Labyrinth will get you attacked. It pretty much is common sense as far as I can tell, and if in doubt, keep it hidden.

Value [item]

Take your guesses as to what your uniformed rinthi ideas about what things are worth, and how much people will kill for it.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Xygax on August 08, 2006, 11:17:58 PM
If you're being attacked by a 'rinthi NPC for a piece of gear, he'll tell you what he's after.  My suggestion if that happens, btw, is to flee immediately.  Don't stick around to see if you're tougher than he is; you probably aren't.  We're not going to give you instant knowledge of what things are attractive to 'rinthi NPCs, but I'll give you a good guideline now:  anything worth more than a decent meal (not a lousy meal, a decent one) is probably worth the effort.

If you need expensive gear, I suggest keeping your newbie-gear (or some other sufficiently worthless outfit) to change back into as you wander through the 'rinth.

-- X

Agreed. It's fine the way it is. I'm sure there are some edge scenarios, where something you have looks like it's worth less then it is, but having played a lot of rinthers and non-rinthers who access it, if you use some common sense you can keep yourself safe.

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I personally wouldn't object to rinthi becoming sponsored roles.  I've personally had a couple successful rinthi, but before those, I was beaten senseless by the code.  The only reason I suggest sponsorship as a possible solution, is that comprehensive docs could be written up, and made available.  Of course, I also think that this time could be better spent elsewhere, and I'm sure as hell not willing to invest any sweat equity in something I don't need myself.

...but it's a thought.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Am I the only one who thinks the title of this post contradicts itself using 'safe' and 'rinth' in the same sentence?
"I stalk the shadows, I am the one who wears that friendly face. Behind your every move, there is nothing you can do. Pride yourself in the fact that you do not already rot and bake. Be prepared, I am always watching." - Allanaki Assassin

December 16, 2009, 04:20:19 PM #43 Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:35:41 PM by Qzzrbl
Real 'Rinther's don't drink water-- they drink cheap ale and wine.

Bottle for bottle, it costs about as much as water does.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 16, 2009, 04:20:19 PM

That is because it is mostly recycled urine.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on December 16, 2009, 06:23:27 PM

Hey, hey, recycled urine is perfectly usable....I quote Frank Herbert's Dune to you good sir.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Quote from: Gagula on December 16, 2009, 07:01:43 PM

Hey, hey, recycled urine is perfectly usable....I quote Frank Herbert's Dune to you good sir.

Because we know good ol' Frank wrote nothing but scientific truths.   ;)
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on December 16, 2009, 10:12:04 PM
Quote from: Gagula on December 16, 2009, 07:01:43 PM

Because we know good ol' Frank wrote nothing but scientific truths.   ;)

I just looked back into my ancestral memory and saw that it is true.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Necromancy is not a fun thing... zombies are fun in games and such, but IRL the have books on survival.  As for Food in the Rinth... it's there.  You just may have to work for it.  There are many ways to get things besides a store.  I will leave you off with a famous catch phrase "Find out IC."

PS:  Don't feed the dead.  If you have questions about the game, bring them up in Ask the Players or iif it's IC sensative put it up on the Request Tool.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.