Force Feeding and Watering for Incapacitated

Started by FightClub, July 23, 2006, 01:30:35 AM

Why can't you do it, and why do you need to wish up for it? Seems logical to me that this should be coded to keep a bit of slack off of admins shoulders, comments? Criticisms?  Also I'm in favor of the idle kick off before people start dying because they had to quit, or their power went out, or lost their connection or something -- another thing I doubt we should need an admin for, I mean they have lives, and they aren't always around.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I think it might be plausible to tip some water down someone's throat, or a tablet, but I think the line is drawn when it comes to food. I doubt anything good would come out of stuffing a travel cake down the throat of an unconcious person.
b]YB <3[/b]

Yeah I agree on that one, might take a skilled physician to force foods down a persons throat, or know to chew them, perhaps stews or something...would be needed to replace food, but I think it is a worthwhile addition, even if just forcing water, and tablets.
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Guessing not going to stuff a travel cake, but could do broths, foods with small hunks or could be forced down a persons mouth, if rp'd out.

Emote breaks up travelcake into small chunks and damps it with water, then shoving it into person's mouth.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Quote from: "FightClub"Yeah I agree on that one, might take a skilled physician to force foods down a persons throat, or know to chew them, perhaps stews or something...would be needed to replace food, but I think it is a worthwhile addition, even if just forcing water, and tablets.

Yea, I think the 'bandage skill' would do wonders with this.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Oh yeah =P

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Quote from: "FightClub"Yeah I agree on that one, might take a skilled physician to force foods down a persons throat, or know to chew them, perhaps stews or something...would be needed to replace food, but I think it is a worthwhile addition, even if just forcing water, and tablets.

Yea, I think the 'bandage skill' would do wonders with this.

Well, no. Did you mean this seriously? Why should a bandage be expended to get someone that's delirious to eat or drink? Also, the way dehydration and starvation work, it wouldn't even deal with them properly in term of game mechanics.

A physican 'forcefeed' skill might be a good idea, but you'll still end up with people wishing up every time one isn't available.

Because bandaging means more than just wrapping a wound up, it goes a bit into general healing/physician skills (you can heal poisoning by bandaging if you're good enough.)
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "Nao"Because bandaging means more than just wrapping a wound up, it goes a bit into general healing/physician skills (you can heal poisoning by bandaging if you're good enough.)

Sorry. Does not compute. Please re-enter input.

What does curing poison have to do with alleviating dehydration, or sunstroke for that matter?

Do you try to feed a starving man by wrapping a poultice around his chest? No.

Does being expert at wrapping a bandage about a wound make you an expert at coaxing a senseless person to swallow some water, or vice versa? No.

Using the bandaging skill to approximate this other form of care is a poor hack at best. Does the patient become any less thirsty? No. Does the patient become any less hungry? No. Does the endurance penalty go away? No.

It could certainly use its own skill.

Well, Guest, it's the best thing we have when it comes to skills dealing with healing people.

I personally suggest that forcefeed be a skill that branches off of bandaging, but still relies on the bandage skill to calculate its success.  If you want to remove the chance of abuse, make it so that a person can only be forcefed if they are at the lower ranges of their hunger or thirst.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Yeah, agreed this might work with water or tablets, untrained, but not food.

Maybe someone with a high bandage skill could do food, as that would abstractly suggest some medical knowledge. Even in modern times, with modern medical facilities, force feeding an unconscious or unwilling person is not pleasent or easy.
Amor Fati

Quote from: "Fnord"Yeah, agreed this might work with water or tablets, untrained, but not food.

Maybe someone with a high bandage skill could do food, as that would abstractly suggest some medical knowledge. Even in modern times, with modern medical facilities, force feeding an unconscious or unwilling person is not pleasent or easy.

What about soup?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
What about soup?

You mean just the broth part of soup, right?  Cause chunky bits in the soup are still a choking hazard and ought to be chewed.

I think that could still be handled with the drinking code.  Some foods contain liquid, so they reduce thirst while they reduce hunger.  Presumably the opposite is also true, or at least possible.  Broth, juice, milk and
kumiss could be liquids that reduce hunger as well as thirst.  

Then you don't have to worry about whether it is plausible to to force feed a particular food, like lumpy soup.  Byn stew and gith eye soup are served in virtual bowls, and consumed with the "eat" command, so you can't be force fed.  Milk and juice is served in liquid container objects (cups, skins, etc.) and consumed with the "drink" command, so can be force fed.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins