Ranged bug?

Started by Armaddict, July 15, 2006, 06:26:00 PM

I've had this problem with both bows and thrown weapons now, and I'm not sure whether it's a bug or some change was made.

You type 'throw weapon target direction' or 'shoot target direction', but all it returns is 'No one like that to the direction'.  No matter what.  With the bow, I found that using a different keyword worked, but more recently, I've tried every keyword the guy has and it still returns it.

I'm not out of range, am I?  I could have sworn it said 'No one like that in range' if that's the case.  Either way...it's pretty dang annoying to see them standing still and you unable to do what you intended on.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've never had that problem myself. I shot my bow just fine less than an hour ago. Just to make sure that nothing obvious is being overlooked:

Was the target more than one room away? Some bows and most/all throwing weapons have a range of only one room.

Did the target move before you typed the command?
b]YB <3[/b]

No.  One room away.  They didn't move, I checked that before and after every attempt.

The only thing I can think of is they were hooded, which was messing with the keywords.  Or there's something messed with my client.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"The only thing I can think of is they were hooded, which was messing with the keywords.  Or there's something messed with my client.
Yeah, I noticed that with my goshawful twinky rinther.

So there is a bug with it?

Might be best to just email in.

That's what I did last time I noticed an oddity with an archery proficient character - it turned out it was just me, not understanding a quirk of the ranged code.

Yes, there is.  I noticed it too, recently.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I've noticed it also.  And in the past there was a bug or something different with the code when throwing in the same room.  You would sometimes throw 'into something' and the object would fly 'out of something' and no combat was initiated.  I liked it for that reason, however at the time I thought it was a bug?

Is/was it?

FWIW, I've found the bug and squashed it, should be in on Wednesday.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Love you.

Oi Hymwen - Careful with leaking IC info!

I had great fun discovering the effects of skellebain for myself as I didn't have a clue IC or OOC what was going on. Your post would have ruined that for me.

And before the arguements come rolling in about what's written in the docs, some of us don't read all docs that aren't relevant to what our characters know, and don't have a backlog of OOC knowledge behind us yet.

Just a friendly plea for you to be attentive to what you post. Please.

Thanks.

Quote from: "Poisons Help File"Skellebain:

This poison comes primarily from fungus and mushrooms. It seems to have a negative effect upon the victim's mind, causing light-headedness and frightening, mind-numbing hallucinations, which may lead the victim to attack those around him or her, or even damage themself.

i'm not sure if you're in the right thread, but even so, most of the skellebain info is available OOCly right there in a helpfile.

Quote from: "Admonishing Kank"Oi Hymwen - Careful with leaking IC info!

I had great fun discovering the effects of skellebain for myself as I didn't have a clue IC or OOC what was going on. Your post would have ruined that for me.

As Agent pointed out, the information is in the docs. If it's in the docs, you have to accept that it may appear somewhere in the GDB. It is extremely silly to warn someone against posting up information that is common knowledge found in the documentation. If someone can't refer to something in the documentation, what exactly can they refer to? How is someone supposed to take a guess that you didn't read any information about Red Storm, or the political structure of Tuluk?

Your post is also in the wrong thread, but I don't believe it has place in any thread. You are harassing someone on the GDB by telling them they shouldn't be ruining your play experience by writing about info in the docs, and it should probably be you apologizing for putting them in the spotlight with an unreasonable request.