Command: Playtime

Started by Warclone, July 03, 2006, 02:18:56 AM

Have playtime as an attribute on every character.

Default would be 'unset'.

set your playtime:
change playtime x
x= 100 characters?

check someone's playtime:
playtime x
x= name/desc i.e. bob or rugged man

EXAMPLE:
Bob types:
change playtime I play between 5-7est and 9-12est.
Jane types:
playtime bob
Jane received:
Bob's playtime:  I play between 5-7est and 9-12est.

This would help soooo much so I dont have to run around asking ppl ooc when I can catch them online.

You could update it as much as you want, so if you know youre going to be on a certain time tomorrow you can change it then (and dont have to tell all your friends OOC or update an ancient board post).

Consensus?

Neat.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

You know, I kinda like this.

I think it would help a lot with coordination and not risk OOC bleed thru of factoids.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

You could even set it up so that you have to add numerical values to pre-set fields, preventing the possible OOC transmission of non-playtime level.

Maybe I am too tired, but I do not see much reason for this. You are usually not around every day 5-7pm EST. For arranging meetings you would have to OOC anyway.

This at least provides a target zone of a few hours, as opposed to maybe getting lucky on 1 or 2 of 24.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Morfeus"You are usually not around every day 5-7pm EST.

Many players are around at roughly the same time every day. Players who don't have regularly scheduled playtimes would simply not fill out the field.

I like it.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"

Many players are around at roughly the same time every day. Players who don't have regularly scheduled playtimes would simply not fill out the field.

Right, but most probably not 7 days in week. If I will need to meet them, I will still OOC asking if they are going to be on "ThisExactTimeAndDay". I know roughly who is on when because I see them usually in this or that times - I would not use OOC command to check that.

Anyway, I am one of these who have absolute irregular playing times, therefore I might be biased.

The ONE problem with this....

playtime templar foobar
Templar foobar plays between 5-7pm EST.

time
it is 4pm EST.

sneak templar estate
hide
wield knife
wait

time
it is 5pm EST

templar foobar has entered the world of Zalanthas.
backstab templar

i think thats pushing it a bit much,
#1 it obviously wouldn't be that exact
#2 it doesn't say where they log in
#3 it'd be most likely be a place with guards unless it's in the rinth or wilderness
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I like.

What if the playtime command only worked on clan members? Less potential for abuse. Or maybe it would only work for PCs who have consented each other for the info to be displayed.

On the other hand, most people play pretty regularly and assassins with a target most likely already do quite a bit of observation before they hit, they could quite easily figure out regular playtimes ingame. The OOC knowledge could already be abused as it is.

Quote from: "Morfeus"Right, but most probably not 7 days in week.
This isn't to say when they will be on, but when they're likely to be on. Something all clans (that I've been in anyway) currently do.

Quote from: "Morfeus"If I will need to meet them, I will still OOC asking if they are going to be on "ThisExactTimeAndDay".
Many meetings do not have to be exact time X, but just next time you both bump into each other. But it can be extremely frustrating looking for them all day long during time they're not likely to be on, and give up just as it comes to the time they're likely to be on.

Quote from: "davien"The ONE problem with this....

playtime templar foobar

time
it is 4pm EST.

sneak templar estate
hide
wield knife
wait

time
it is 5pm EST

templar foobar has entered the world of Zalanthas.
backstab templar
This can already be done (whether you're an ex-clannie or if you just happen to notice they tend to be around during times A to C). Granted the command will make it easier, so it's a case of whether or not the ease outweighs the abuse. But it doesn't allow any unique abuse (as in new ways to abuse the game, only making current ways easier).

Fair enough. Just wanted to put it out there.

There is a possible problem where people could use the information to peg player to character, but maybe keeping the information to a certain form could help there.

Suppose I played 9 pm to 6 am EST, which I doubt many other players share, people could immediately see who I am.  It can even be used to identify characters - "playtime blur" and compare it later.

Just something to consider.  If the above problem can be made a non-issue then I'd be thrilled to have this command implemented.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Great idea! Maybe make it sort of vague, say divide the day into four chunks and you pick one which you can most often be caught in, to avoid people trying to find out which player is playing that character, or who their previous characters were.

> playtime
Pick one of these. Players caught outside of their chosen time will be shot. All times are in EST:
8am-2pm
2pm-8pm
8pm-2am
2am-8am
Have you VOTED today?

> You are a little thirsty.
b]YB <3[/b]

QuoteThe ONE problem with this....

playtime templar foobar

time
it is 4pm EST.

sneak templar estate
hide
wield knife
wait

time
it is 5pm EST

I actually think this is the best part about this. You -should- be able to realistically find out where Templar X sleeps ICly, and since it's only an OOC factor that causes Templar X to not wake up there every morning, it's an OOC solution that lets the assasins know what mornings he will. And even then it's not certain, he might have crashed at a buddy's house, or in the wagon, etc.

Brilliant Idea I think, though for alot of people, myself included, I rarely know when I'll get the time to play, it should still be pretty usefull I think.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"

Why would the staff put in the time and effort for a command that everyone is not going to use?

I'd rather have them create something that would better the gameworld.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Why would the staff put in the time and effort for a command that everyone is not going to use?

I'd rather have them create something that would better the gameworld.

I see no problems with this command other than the vast "what if" problems that affect every single command in the game. Sure all commands all have "what if" scenarios that "might" affect them.

This is a good idea. I like it.

I admit that given the development in this thread it's a good idea, too.

But I can think of other things that would be cool and would make the game more fun to play that I would rather see implemented. -shrugs-

YMMV, of course.

I dislike it for many reasons mentioned above.

1. It tells people when you -aren't- likely to be around.
2. It can easily link players to characters.
3. It's an ooc command... in an ic game.
4. It's nothing that can't be posted on a clan board if someone -needs- to share, without telling the rest of the populace.

Lord Templar Hard Nose thinks:
"Your mileage may vary... what's a mile...?"

Quote from: "Yokunama"Why would the staff put in the time and effort for a command that everyone is not going to use?
Same reason they put in spells......  :? There are -tons- of things in the game that not everyone uses. Some people refuse to be in clans for example, so any clan-only crafting items are pointless for them.

The staff have the GDB and some people refuse to use the GDB.

Quote from: "Eternal"It's an ooc command... in an ic game.
I disagree as by that logic we should take away:
* Gone
* OOC
* Keyword
* listen status

As they're all OOC commands in an IC game.

Quote from: "Eternal"4. It's nothing that can't be posted on a clan board if someone -needs- to share, without telling the rest of the populace.
And this is the most peculiar logic of all (IMO). Let's give clan players an OOC advantage over everyone else, including family members, work partners, assassins and thieves.

Quote from: "Larrath"Suppose I played 9 pm to 6 am EST, which I doubt many other players share, people could immediately see who I am.  It can even be used to identify characters - "playtime blur" and compare it later.
Can already happen for any off-peak players. It isn't unusual for off-peak players to get to know some of someone's login times. If that character stops logging in and someone else just happens to start logging in at the same time as the previous person, it's pretty easy to work out they're the same person. So while this command will make it easier to guess who the player behind a character is, it doesn't introduce a new method of abuse to the game.

Quote from: "John"

Quote from: "Eternal"4. It's nothing that can't be posted on a clan board if someone -needs- to share, without telling the rest of the populace.
And this is the most peculiar logic of all (IMO). Let's give clan players an OOC advantage over everyone else, including family members, work partners, assassins and thieves.

I think this is the most compelling argument I've seen yet, actually. However, what happens when you and another player overlap for a couple of hours?

Ordinarily, Master Fancypants would offer you a job, some pay, and a task to do. But, he looks at your playtime and realizes that you don't play when he plays normally, and figures OOCly that would be too much of a pain, so he passes you over, instead.

Things like that are really more of a concern to me, although I acknowledge the problem. I really really do.

QuoteOrdinarily, Master Fancypants would offer you a job, some pay, and a task to do. But, he looks at your playtime and realizes that you don't play when he plays normally, and figures OOCly that would be too much of a pain, so he passes you over, instead.

I get your point and agree somewhat, but is it a better solution for Master Fancypants to hire you and then never be around when you are? It's a tough problem because judging IC actions based on OOC reasons is inherently bad, but so is sacrificing fun and playability just to keep it strictly IC and realistic when it can be avoided. I'm assuming neither you nor Master Fancypants actually want to work together with someone who they never see.
b]YB <3[/b]