Disabled characters

Started by amish overlord, July 03, 2006, 01:58:34 AM

Have you played a character with a disability?

Yes
30 (51.7%)
No
28 (48.3%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: July 23, 2006, 01:58:34 AM

Have you ever played a character with a disability such as blindness, muteness, deafness, etc? Non mutations.

How did you like it? Did you rp it out or codewise.

I played a blind character at one point and did not have codewise, used rp. Would use look and other things to tell me about the person, such as if they had something that made noise and rp'd accordingly. I never used visual information but stuff that would make a sound, creaks of leather armor and such.

It was an itnresting experience any thoughts, likes dislikes.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

No, I've played sick or injured, but never disabled.  Well, I did have a one-handed character for a little while, but she lost the hand in game, so it wasn't like I set out for her to be disabled.  It was code wise, a helpful imm removed the hand wear/wield location when the hand was lost, though strangely her finger locations persisted, so it required some fancy shuffling with a few extra rings to get all of her rings onto fingers on the hand that was left.  It was a few years ago and I don't really remember what happened with it.  She didn't do manual labor for a living so it didn't seem to be a huge disadvantage.

Ever since the missing eye became a scar you could get in the HoK one-eyed characters seem to be more common.  I think it would be cool if they showed off their lack of depth perception more often.  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I played a one-eyed character once, and a couple of facially disfigured characters. I've also had my fair share of sick and diseased bastards.
Yeah, I think one-eyed characters should take a serious penalty to their archery and throwing skills, or something. Come on, how good can your depth perception possibly be?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Do mental handicaps count?  :twisted:
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

Hell, everyone's played a Bynner gofmk.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "Cegar"Hell, everyone's played a Bynner gofmk.

Haha, I haven't resorted to Bynner, YET! It's a future endeavor I'm sure I will savor for the whole five minutes it will last. *bows and walks off stage*
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

No Bynners for me either, not yet anyway. Who knows what the future may bring. But I did play a mute. Completely, entirely, from birth. Laughter and chuckles were portrayed by shoulders shaking and mirthful expression, and there were no 'hoarse whispers' either. Hand gestures were very big, of course. Good and bad ones. There was no coded support, I never had staff remove the actual ability to speak, but it was simply never used, not once, so it didn't matter. Hardest part? Getting over newbie-psi.  After realizing this enormous hurdle, I gave in and wished for IMM help, asking if it was possible they could give it a small bump to make the char playable. Word of warning? When you have a character concept anywhere similar, either special app it (as the IMM who helped me out recommended for future), or be prepared to really work your a** off spamming the skill. Or be more creative than I and find a way to make do without the Way for a good while.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

I had a Vivaduan with a crippled hand and foot. I enjoyed it until the day it prevented her from being recruited into the clan I wanted. I really, really wanted to play in that clan. And she could have gotten in. Grrr.  :(

Anyone else find it ironic that a Vivaduan would be crippled?
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Irony is cool.

Edit to Add:

It was always my thought that most folks with a disability (unless insulated by great wealth) would be killed upon their birth.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cegar"Anyone else find it ironic that a Vivaduan would be crippled?

I thought it had a sweet twist to it. And yes, irony is cool.  8)

I am another of the non-Bynner crowd.  I'm just not big on the warrior type.  I've played characters that were warrior by guild, just never really by profession...except once, and there was no way that character could have EVER become a Bynner.

On topic, however, I can't say that I've ever played a physically handicapped character.  Mentally disabled (and in this I include insanities in varying degrees) characters I've played a few times.  One was a fairly prominent person in that particular (locale/time/social circle).
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I have a note - Does good work playing a blind - in my account. Yes, I played a nice rukkian blind. It was one of my funniest chars.

The funniest moment was when someone backstabbed someone I was carrying in front of my unseeing eyes. I kept on dragging the corpse to my temple - I would help him with magick there.

There after a funny immortal animation we decided the poor man died of blood loss from previous wounds, not actual backstabbing.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I had a character who was temporarily muted due to an injury.  It was fun and I considered having it be permanent, but alas it wasn't quite the direction I wanted for him.

All of my characters have disabilities.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"All of my characters have disabilities.

Characters mansa characters not your own person disabilities!

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

I played a cripple and a mute. The girl broke her leg in childhood and it never healed correctly. The mute simply never learned to speak. Some kids just never start walking or talking or running, with nothing physically wrong. Rare but it happens. I knew a kid who spent his childhood in physical therapy learning to run and jump, and he still couldn't really do it. He looked like a freak. And he hummed. At the time I was 13 and an insensitive bitch, but in hindsight, he was diabled and I should have been nicer.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

I played a blind.  It was fun.  But after a few days of playing time it started getting boring.  It was very difficult to interact with anyone.  So I stored it.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I've played an earless bard with skitzoid personalities. It was a bunch of fun, but his death was probably the most taxing thing ever. I just felt like I was experiencing it, and seeing the mantis head, I was almost in a state of shock.

in sum, I feel that giving your character disabilities and playing it according to those crippling qualities force you to step up your RP game a notch. And might make you quite attatched to the character.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: "mansa"All of my characters have disabilities.

I've played characters with both physical and mental handicaps. I found the roles to be quite fun.
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

I don't know if this counts, but I played a feral character once and had its languages set as low as it goes. It was the most fun I ever had because I got to interact with what people emoted and not what they said. Tons of fun seeing them get all frustrated and confused while babbling at me.

Quote from: "skeetdaddle"I don't know if this counts, but I played a feral character once and had its languages set as low as it goes. It was the most fun I ever had because I got to interact with what people emoted and not what they said. Tons of fun seeing them get all frustrated and confused while babbling at me.

That sounds tremendously fun.

I'm playing a character right now with a permanent injury.
It's fun stuff!

I played a character that had only one working eye before.

That's the most I can think of.

Do emotional disadvantages count?  Because I've played quit a few of those. :P