Started by Desertman, July 02, 2006, 01:11:22 AM

Well?

I like it.
12 (70.6%)
I dont like it.
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: July 02, 2006, 01:11:22 AM

I have seen multiple posts in the past where people want to make tents a "quit" room, this cant be done because we would have issues with people quitting out in tents, then someone coming along and packing them up. What I am proposing is that tents are item safe rooms.

When you set up a tent currently, if the game crashes on you, the tent is lost. If you want your tent back you have to wish up to an immortal with the type of tent, all of the items within said tent that you lost, and hope that they are kind enough to return these things to you.

What I am proposing is that when you set up a tent that it then becomes safe. Meaning if the game goes down, the tent will save where it was and be there with everything you left in it when the game comes back up. The tents still wont be "quit" rooms, but the tent wont disappear when the game goes down and the items within the tents will save as well.

Also, this would make life alot easier in alot of ways on the tribal folk who dont currently have coded clans but do have tribes, such as the Benjari or Silt Wind desert elves. As it stands all of thier camps are virtual and many of them have to resort to renting apartments in cities in order to have a place to keep thier items in which they supply thier "tribes" with, and thats just silly but they dont have alot of choice. This would also open up an avenue for folks who want to potentially start thier own little tribes, becoming able to set up a couple of tents in a remote location without having to worry about the game crashing and them losing the tent and everything thier tribe owns in the blink of an OOC eye.

Of course if a traveler came through the tents wouldnt be safe from the traveler packing them up if noone was around to defend it, and of course you still wouldnt be able to pack up tents with stuff inside them. But I think that having crash safe tents that also were "item" safe would be a great addition to the game.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Tents work otherwise just like wagon objects.  They do not disappear when the game goes crashes (excluding extreme circumstances, they are usually cleanly saved, just like wagons).

-- X

Really? Well I havent owned one in a long time (A few RL years) but I remember them going boom both times on me. Are they also item safe like wagons?

I would also note that tents aren't save rooms.  Why would people put things down in them?  It's just like putting them down anywhere else, which really doesn't require any special revamp to tent code.  It's something that happens occasionally when people put things down...and a crash happens.

To be honest, I think tent code is quite well done already.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Why would people put things down in tents?

Uhhh.. because some people LIVE in tents, and want to be able to create a small camp somewhere - or even a large one - without needing to pester the Immortals to create support for it.  Yes, there is the risk of the stuff in the tent being found and stolen, as well as the tent itself, but regardless, being able to set up camp and not having to fear crash-wipe would be lovely.

I'm all for item-save tents.  

Anyway, I guess the code has been changed since last time I had a ranger-type PC, since I too remember losing one to a crash.

I'd be pleased to see item-save tents as well.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I support the item-save tents idea.

Regarding the tents, I would like to state that, with the current code, it is easy to build or roll a tent. I suggest that there should be a delay for both of the commands, like crafting. If it is a minor code change then I would like to see that it is implemented. For example, you need wait for a couple of RL minutes to see the outcome. During that time interval you can do all the emotes you want, again as in the crafting. For playability reasons it should be success all the time.

What do you think?
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

As far as I know, unlike wagons, tents can be destroyed code-wise. What would happen if the tent is ruined when the owner is off-line, quited in it?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

That is a good point.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

As far as I know, unlike wagons, tents can be destroyed code-wise. What would happen if the tent is ruined when the owner is off-line, quited in it?

I have seen multiple posts in the past where people want to make tents a "quit" room, this cant be done because we would have issues with people quitting out in tents, then someone coming along and packing them up. What I am proposing is that tents are item safe rooms.

As you see that is not what the post is about. We arent making them "quit" rooms...We are making them..."Item Safe" rooms.

Why would people put things down in tents?

Uhhh.. because some people LIVE in tents, and want to be able to create a small camp somewhere - or even a large one - without needing to pester the Immortals to create support for it. Yes, there is the risk of the stuff in the tent being found and stolen, as well as the tent itself, but regardless, being able to set up camp and not having to fear crash-wipe would be lovely

I coudlnt have put it better myself.

Well I just got confirmation from Ask The Staff that both of these ideas are already in game. So, I guess I just made a really pointless post.

*smacks forehead*  :wink:

Yes, items do save inside tents.  You cannot, however, quit out in tent rooms, because they are still potentially "transient" technically.

-- X