Started by Larrath, June 25, 2006, 09:39:59 AM

Should Arm have *optional* colors?

Yes
29 (65.9%)
No
15 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: October 03, 2006, 09:39:59 AM

I gave this some thought and a question suddenly hit me - why don't we have ANSI colors, really?

Three states:
Off - no color, not even brighter text.
Standard - selected by default.  Exactly the same colors as we have them now.
Falish - colors can be customized.

Here are the things that could be colored:
Combat-related hits (including subdue).
Combat misses (including subdue).
Psionics.
Says/tells/talks.
Sing.
Whispers and overhearing.
Thoughts and feelings.
Shout.
Languages (a different color for each language).
Prompt.
Important messages like hunger, thirst and weapons shattering.

Players using the Falish color setting will be able to manually pick the color for each of these categories and could also toggle some options off.

I think this could help make the game more approachable, and since it's optional and doesn't provide any additional information, I can see no potential harm coming from this.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I have wondered this myself.
Ansi color could add alot.
The main thing would be to color the prompt, the room title and exits, and maybe psionics... but too much more than that would just make it confusing.

No, for the sole reason that I can think of a thousand things that should precede work like that.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Tamarin"No, for the sole reason that I can think of a thousand things that should precede work like that.
And the fact that you can do it yourself with virtually any client.

Some many years ago, I used to miss it, but these days don't.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

QuoteAnd the fact that you can do it yourself with virtually any client.

Really??
Know of any good Mac clients?

Quote from: "Lazloth"
Quote from: "Tamarin"No, for the sole reason that I can think of a thousand things that should precede work like that.
And the fact that you can do it yourself with virtually any client.

Some many years ago, I used to miss it, but these days don't.

We have a -very- conservative bunch of people here.  Frame the question differently. First, what the priority is for the staff to work on,  is up to the staff, not the players.  Second, would adding an -optional- color benefit the game in making it potentially more attractive to prospective newbies who haven't been playing Arm for years and long for the status quo. Third is this something that those who have clients that don't allow ad-hock colorization or don't want to dink with their client find helpful.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "Lavalamps"
QuoteAnd the fact that you can do it yourself with virtually any client.

Really??
Know of any good Mac clients?
tintin++ by far the most versatile.  If you need help compiling, drop a shout - they distribute OSX binaries too.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

This topic comes up every couple of months with about the same results. I'm not doing the old "We've talked this subject to death" thing. Really, I'm not because I am all for discussions which allow newer players to examine issues which are new to them and to add their thoughts. And, who knows, maybe something new will come out.

That being said, let me summarize the usual camps:

1)  The Purists -- Arm is harsh and the lack of colour suits its theme and conveys the proper mood.

2)  The Client Proponents -- This is so easy to do and get a totally custom look. No need to use mud resources for this.

3)  The Helpers -- This will help new players adjust and assist other folks who don't have access to fancy clients.

People stubbornly cling to their own camps and don't get swayed.  Making it optional I guess should allay the threat perceived by The Purists but they would then probably turn around and use Argument # 2.  

I can sympathize with the arguments raised by The Helpers. The main reason to colourize is not for the cheery colours themselves but just to make the sometimes rapidly scrolling text easier to see and sort through.  And this can be a daunting thing when you are new.  When I was new, I very quickly put some triggers in my client to colourize psi's, "at your tables", etc.  I am in camp #2.  I will need more convincing as to why people can't use clients.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Not sure I'd want to attract the kind of players who would consider a MUD based on pretty colors....

Thank you Medena, that was well stated.

Quote from: "Anonymous"Not sure I'd want to attract the kind of players who would consider a MUD based on pretty colors....
Comments as such are specious at best, and insulting for the most part.  People don't pick things based on "pretty colors", they pick things based on other aspects right or wrong that they infer from having critical syntax colorized.  Questions such as is the codebase current? Could be answered as, "Well they can't even figure out color, they must be really behind the times." Questions such as is it easy to pick out the "important" things I need to look for?

If syntax coloring was so very nonimportant, why is it so many people do it with their own clients?

Also you should be cautious with flippant comments as such, they could easily be turned by prospective players into "Do I want to consider playing in a place that has snobs as such?".  First impressions mean everything.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Well, I color things for the sake of being able to keep track of what's going on.

Being a relatively inexperienced player, I don't really have all the messages I'd need to make a truly thorough coloring system.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I voted yes.

The lack of ANSI doesn't bother me much anymore, but I think we've lost more than a few potential players because of it.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"I voted yes.

The lack of ANSI doesn't bother me much anymore, but I think we've lost more than a few potential players because of it.

I voted no.

I'm of the opinion that we've gained more players because of the crazy colour schemes that are out there at other MUDs.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

If you can toggle this off - heck, why not...!? What the fuck is the problem there..?

We're the only mud that I know that doesn't have colors, and if I hadn't had a helper that lack of color would have turned me off enough to leave right there.

I hear the 'do it with a client' thing so often... BUT:

The only time someone ever posted something about how to do this only applied to zmud and it took me quite a while to even figure this out, when I had stuff in most 'colors' would show up as grey. Mhm, great. And I have no idea where to get a zmud version that will run on windows xp without registering.

This also doesn't help with the helper argument, since 'use a client' is not an option for a newbie that doesn't even know that this might work.

Anyone tell me how to do this with gmud...? possible at all..?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

No, we GMud users can't do it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Additionally, I'll add that I am in favor of adding color.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

No, GMud will not support client-side coloring.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Someone give me a client that is free, will run on XP and gives me colors through triggers? And maybe tell me HOW to make the damn thing spit out nice shiny colors at me?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "Nao"Someone give me a client that is free, will run on XP and gives me colors through triggers? And maybe tell me HOW to make the damn thing spit out nice shiny colors at me?

MudMaster 2000

Download the client and the helpfiles.  Put the helpfiles in the relevant folder  When you enter the client, input "/help highlight."
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Just about any one will do.

MudMaster 2000 has substitutes AND highlights which are VERY easy to customize (irritating to initially set up if you have LOTS), with fairly good helpfiles.  If you decide to try MudMaster 2000, type:
    /help substitute
    /help highlight
      or, just plain
    /help

MUDMASTER 2000 -- http://www.mmgui.com/
Modem Friendly download, totally free.

If you are willing to sit back and take the time to learn how to use Triggers, you can use another client like PortalGT, which is sort of over-powered for Armageddon (but I like the graphical health bars, what can I say?).  I'd never suggest zMUD to anyone, though, it's got too much of a commercial taste for me.

Edit:  BAD Delmath, BAD, for beating me.

Quote from: "Nao"Someone give me a client that is free, will run on XP and gives me colors through triggers? And maybe tell me HOW to make the damn thing spit out nice shiny colors at me?
MUSHClient, easily findable with a google search.  When you have it, let me know and I'll send you an Arm worldfile with the key things colored.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"
MUSHClient, easily findable with a google search.  When you have it, let me know and I'll send you an Arm worldfile with the key things colored.

He sent it to me. Very nice. Nothing too bright.
your mother is an elf.

As long as you only make the elves use colors...

-Ken

Quote from: "Vesperas"Just about any one will do.

MudMaster 2000 has substitutes AND highlights which are VERY easy to customize (irritating to initially set up if you have LOTS), with fairly good helpfiles.  If you decide to try MudMaster 2000, type:
    /help substitute
    /help highlight
      or, just plain
    /help

MUDMASTER 2000 -- http://www.mmgui.com/
Modem Friendly download, totally free.

If you are willing to sit back and take the time to learn how to use Triggers, you can use another client like PortalGT, which is sort of over-powered for Armageddon (but I like the graphical health bars, what can I say?).  I'd never suggest zMUD to anyone, though, it's got too much of a commercial taste for me.

Edit:  BAD Delmath, BAD, for beating me.

You can highlight certain words or entire lines with MudMaster. :P

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I voted "no."  This is a client-side issue.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]