Started by Anarchy, June 18, 2006, 06:32:36 PM

What do you think?

Yes
40 (65.6%)
No
21 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: June 18, 2006, 06:32:36 PM

I'd like to see people have the ability to speak when in the negative HPs, and i do mean just speaking and emotes, the use of the way, movement, skills, etc would be taken away. I believe this would add greatly to RPed PC on PC deaths, it would allow more flavour to the game. then simply "so and so is over come by their wounds and passes out."
Death is already a real part of Arm, why cant we have the last few moments given the chance for some seriously fun RP?

Laying in a pool of his own blood, The pale-faced human looks up at the desert-cloaked desert elf, saying with a northern accent "Why?"

Standing over the pale-faced human, notching a thornwood arrow, the desert-cloaked desert elf says with a tribal accent "You would of done the same to me."
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

I think it'd be neat.  Not when paralyzed, just when on your deathbed (ie: mortally wounded, on the verge of death)

But, there should be some sort of penalty to your HP, I think. And maybe a message that you get upon hitting enter that says: "Are you sure?"

Would be a neat-o addition, though.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Yes.  And I'd also like people to be able to speak while paralyzed.  Or at least EMOTE!!
Quote from: Gimfalisette
The rest of you, if you see a blingy, buff brunette-blonde pair hanging out together pretty soon at your local bar, just...it's nothing. Move along. (Do not hit on them.)

While paralyzed...no, I disagree.  No speech.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Paralyzed? No speech, but emotes, and if someone's abusing it, wish or request that they be dealt with.

Deathbed? Yes, yes, yes.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Speak
Mortally wounded - Yes
Paralyzed - No.

Emote
Mortally wounded - Yes, you already can.
Paralyzed - Yes.  While you physically cannot move, I think it would add more to the scene to be able to emote that out.

The short, wannabe man's features go lax as the tip of the uber, 733t assassin woman's dagger plunges into his back.

His eyes frozen open in a stare, the short, wannabe man tumbles to the ground, mud and sand caking to his front as he lays unmoving.

But back onto the speaking while mortally wounded, yes, I think it would be a good idea.  The penalty idea?  Perhaps.  Maybe another notch down into the negatives to make up for the obvious effort it would take to speak while dying.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

If you can move your mouth to speak then you're not paralyzed.  I think you should be able to do this while near death though even if you're incapacitated.

Quote from: "Bebop"If you can move your mouth to speak then you're not paralyzed.
It'd be nice if the code had varying degrees of drug induced paralyzation. But until it does, agreed on this point.

Mortally wounded makes you unconscious and while you're unconscious I don't think talking makes sense.  In real life when someone gets gutted or stabbed to the point of being incapacitated they aren't very talkative.

I understand why people might like this change but to me it's a little too cinematic and heroic to be able to utter famous last words with every character.

Emotes are fine with me but not speaking.

I don't like it. It doesn't seem to make much sense that the guy knocked out on the ground would be able to say anything. It reminds me of the old comics where the unconscious dwarf emotes saying "get teh saltz in my pak" or something. Just silly to me.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Hmm...

When I think of people as mortally wounded, I don't think of them as unconscious necessarily. They could just be lying there, breathing very slowly with their eyes open, watching you.

There are times when I would think of them as unconscious, and those times are when it says:

[...] is sleeping here.

I would like to be able to talk while mortally wounded, but with quite a large penalty. As in, you'll be able to get off that one 'say', but you'll die soon after or something...I don't know. It just seemed like sort of a neat idea.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I would like to see a status for what elvenchipmunk described. A status where you are 'wounded' to a point of being able to take coded action, but still conscious and able to talk. Maybe even crawl very slowly, with an echo when you start, so that others can stop you (the such and such man begins crawling west, or some such). Talking, crawling and such could have a chance of knocking you down HP, closer to unconsciousness.

I think it'd be neat, anyway.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I'm on CRW's side in saying that I don't want to see heroic, cinematic last words every time I try and kill someone. I'd rather see someone bleeding out in an alley than acting like some sort of hero. And if newbs smack talked me while they were unconcious, I'd get pissed.

BUT, it seems like a fairly popular idea, so if it's going to happen I do have a good idea how it could work that would keep the annoying theatrics to a minimum.

1/100hp fighting: Bob
Bob slashes you on the body, barely grazing you.

-5/100hp stunned
:falls to the ground, unable to codedly speak.

That's how it normally happens.

BUT, what if you go instantly to 0 hp. I dunno how 0 hp works now, but suppose the new 0 hp was a state in which you could speak, but not move or open containers or any of that good stuff. Now, also assume that you automatically go to 0 on that last blow. And, lastly, if you SPEAK at the new 0, you go -1.

So, now that situation would go:

1/100hp fighting: Bob
Bob slashes your head doing unspeakable damage.

0/100hp stunned
Stumbling backward and falling to the ground, with your last dying breaths, you say, in sirihish:
  "Bob... you're a little bitch..."

-1/100hp stunned
Someone scoffs indignantly before bringing their sword point down roughly into your throat.

And now that you're at -1 hp you can't say any more.[/code][/i]
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I really like this last option.

Very good.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "CRW"Mortally wounded makes you unconscious and while you're unconscious I don't think talking makes sense.  In real life when someone gets gutted or stabbed to the point of being incapacitated they aren't very talkative.

I agree. If there is any communication going on between someone and a mortally wounded victim, it is very little nods or shakes of the head that are somewhat noticable.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

How about if 1-5 HP makes you mortally wounded, but you can talk still at the risk of just dying completely (no sitting around for hours on end hoping to get rescued). No? Not a popular idea? Didn't think so  :twisted:

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I really like this last option.

Very good.

When I said this, I woul dlike to say ... I like the idea of, at 0 hp, if you happemn to have the number total, you can say something then slip to -1. No artificial mechanism taking you to that level or anything. Just at 0 hp. If you have 5 hp left and someone does unspeakable damage to you, you're just dead, that's all. That has to stay.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I can see how this could be cool at times.. but I also know that there will be alot of the 'final words' being used to point out the people they know with the bandage skill.

The pwnd newb rangers says in strawberry-flavored Sirhish: "Find bob.. he's a physician."
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Bah.. Normally you may take the wounded to Vivadu's and wish up for him to be healed and pay, or even wish up at a tavern "Excuse me, my friend's dying and I'm sure at least one VNPC here knows bandaging. May he perform? I'm willing to pay well for that."...

Normally good physicians are rare.. But not 'that' rare.

Still, if you're over 0, you're awake. If you're below 0, you're in coma. No speech please. Emotes are already possible.

And about paralyzation? No no.. No emotes, no speech. You are paralyzed. Your neural system's f**ked up by a fine neurotoxin/fine magick. You cannot properly use your brain that moment so no psi, no speech, not even emotes.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Yokunama"If there is any communication going on between someone and a mortally wounded victim, it is very little nods or shakes of the head that are somewhat noticable.

Somewhat noticeable, eh?  I think we have a command for that.   :wink:   Maybe we could implement only hemotes when mortally wounded?  That might make for some funny, interesting roleplay.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Hrm I would like to see 0 HP no talky.  Possibility of getting better still there.  1-5 HP You are incapacitated but can talk, but you get one sentance, and then pass out to zero after the first say (with the possibility of getting better but being totally unconcsious.  Or you can just STFU and not strain yourself and stay concsious with the chance of getting better, you can still emote as you wish either way.

It would make deaths more interactive.

So many times you see spammed deaths etc.  I would like to find ways to take steps to end that.  Of course much of it relys on player responsibility.

I could have swore there were actually two states below zero hps, but maybe that has changed.  Or maybe it was a long time ago, everything gets a bit confused after awhile.  I thought there was a stunned (not you are stunned, but in your ldesc) for like -1 to -4 hps or so, then a mortally wounded for -5 to -9 hps.

But back on topic.  If you are mortally wounded, you are the unconcious person on the doctors table going into cardiac arrest.  You are not the brave, but bleeding cowboy with a bullet in his chest, saying the last few things to his archnemesis.  That person still has 2 hps.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Actually, a person can be awake and mortally wounded.  Usually, the body has
gone into shock, but you can babble things right up to death.  Unconsciousness can
happen too, but the two physical states are not synonymous.

If that was the case, we wouldn't have stun points to tell you when you're conscious. ;)
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

More importantly I would like to be able to tell a dying person something.

Something brutal and cold-hearted.  :-D

I would also like to have the opportunity to reveal my deadly plans before the person kicks off.  Not only is it great self-stimulation(!) but it might help the dying person realize why they had to be killed.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

As much as I know, you're now already able to emote while paralyzed - or was it using contact/psi..?

I've been through one really sucky scene of watching my character die for an RL hour while paralyzed and all I could do was think... Kudos to that change ;)
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"