Firewood

Started by Kalden, May 31, 2006, 10:45:19 PM

What would 'nakkis most commonly use to feed their fires? Wood is expensive, isn't it? Do they use some sort of dried dung? Could we perhaps implement more objects for this?

Kank dung, inix dung, erdlu dung.

Inix love to eat, so you might as well sell their shit to make it up, huh? I think mounts should randomly drop a load from time to time so I can hunt by following dung and poking my finger inside.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

the bodies of dead commoners... magickally created flames... oh, you know...

anything, really.

I'd like to see some sort of fuel be made a requirement for cooking crafts which require fires. I have characters which regularly cook things, yet I have no idea how they're feeding the fires. They are southlanders who have no access to wood This hurts my immersion.

Maybe I'm just weird, but dried dung objects seem like they would be ok. It could be something to gather and sell.

Thoughts?

Cook with Poo™

Well, while most people would propably use dung since it's cheap and readily available, wood is not non-existant in the southlands. A lot of things are made from wood which, when broken or otherwise no longer needed, can be burnt - furniture, torches, parts from ruined buildings (most are made of stone, but many have wooden support beams and panels). Also, unservicable clothes could be used although they won't burn as well or as long as wood or dung.
b]YB <3[/b]

With salvage, maybe these things can become more accessible. Perhaps forage could be expanded in cities where these things are accessible, but somehow I doubt burnable wood exists in the 'rinth, or whether it would be legal to take it off people's houses in Allanak.

I imagine all salvageable wood in Allanak gets picked clean pretty damn quick.

Anyway, what I'm hinting at is that someday I hope/wish fuel could be a requirement for cooking. Or at the least I could gather the appropriate objects and junk them as I go.

Quote from: "Kalden"Anyway, what I'm hinting at is that someday I hope/wish fuel could be a requirement for cooking. Or at the least I could gather the appropriate objects and junk them as I go.
Don't junk 'em. Craft them into a campfire.

QuoteI'd like to see some sort of fuel be made a requirement for cooking crafts which require fires. I have characters which regularly cook things, yet I have no idea how they're feeding the fires. They are southlanders who have no access to wood This hurts my immersion.
Personally, I'd rather not see this. I think it's perfectly realistic to cook a steak on a flat rock in the middle of the Salt Flats on one of those hot Zalanthan days.
But, to answer the original question, poo is a definite possibility, yes. Also consider scrap cloth, oil and other flammable liquids, grain by-products, and, yeah, the occasional piece of wood. It's expensive, sure... but that's what it's frickin' for.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "Kalden"I'd like to see some sort of fuel be made a requirement for cooking crafts which require fires. I have characters which regularly cook things, yet I have no idea how they're feeding the fires. They are southlanders who have no access to wood This hurts my immersion.

Maybe I'm just weird, but dried dung objects seem like they would be ok. It could be something to gather and sell.

Thoughts?

What about if you have a Krathi in the room? This system, while I can understand why you would want this, would make that fun rp not so
entertaining anymore. Or perhaps a Sorc wants to create a dried fruit
by some evily emotes directed at the fruit :roll:

Elves. They use elves.

On a seriouser note, they might use a lot of oil. You could pour it on any sort of rubbish. You should be able to set those heaps of garbage on fire.

If kanks dropped dung objects an some irregular/regular interval you could find them in the wilds but more importantly in the streets!  This would create jobs!

Dirty Amos 1:  Oh yeah.. I got a shitty job gathering salt.  Kills my back.
Dirty Amos 2:  You're kidding me.   I pick up shit for a coin a day from the Templarate.
Dirty Amos 1:  Oh.
<long pause>
Dirty Amos 1 stands and leaves the bar.
Dirty Amos 1 stealthily moves north.
hang is actually...

i'm pretty sure i've seen coded dung objects. now we just need them to randomly spawn along heavily mount-traveled routes.

or you could just emote the whole thing, and wishup for a few dung objects to keep on you for those times when you really need it.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"
Personally, I'd rather not see this. I think it's perfectly realistic to cook a steak on a flat rock in the middle of the Salt Flats on one of those hot Zalanthan days.
But, to answer the original question, poo is a definite possibility, yes. Also consider scrap cloth, oil and other flammable liquids, grain by-products, and, yeah, the occasional piece of wood. It's expensive, sure... but that's what it's frickin' for.

Agreed. Never underestimate the combined powers of Suk-Krath and Ruk, eh? Zalanthan days supposedly can get up to like 140 degrees. It rarely gets abotve 90, here, and you can cook an egg on the asphalt.

Not that I know a whole lot about Zalanthan wood, but we could all pretend that it takes a very long time to burn.  I've also seen charcoal, of all things... may not be the same sort of charcoal you use in grills, but it burns none-the-less.  For all we know, Zalanthas has many, commonly-available burning minerals.

Shit, of course, will always be cheap and effecient.  I'm just waiting for the day some Rinther lights a fire in a particularly stinky and closed off portion of the sewers.

I do like the idea of sweepers.  XD  You could roleplay it, I guess, but I don't know if I want to take the idea, walk up to a templar, and ask for a virtual job.  He may give me virtual sid.

Quotedo like the idea of sweepers. XD You could roleplay it, I guess, but I don't know if I want to take the idea, walk up to a templar, and ask for a virtual job. He may give me virtual sid.

Just to be safe you should probably ask a virtual templar.  I think I might do this with my current vpc.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.