Accents

Started by Hymwen, May 21, 2006, 12:57:19 AM

How do you imagine the different accents sounding? I guess there's no way of telling how they really sound unless the creator of the mud has decided, I'm just curious about what you think :)

I always pictured southern to be harsh and gruff, and northern to be a little more melodic and soft. For some reason I always thought tribal would sound like jamaican, but I have no idea about rinthi.
b]YB <3[/b]

I always picture 'rinthi as thick cockney accent.

Tribal as an exotic greek or something accent.

Northern as russian.

Southern as middle eastern.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I've figured Southern was British, 'rinthi was Australian, Northern was American, and tribal was Russian.

Northern - french
Southern - american southern drawl, but not redneck drawl
Tribal - Mila Jovovich ... okay seriously, indian
'Rinthi - Cockney

Northern: Prim and British.
Southern: Broad and Scottish. That or American.
Rinthi: Like an american version of cockney. Harsh accent and strange slang, but you can kinda see how it comes from the original.
Tribal: Puerto Rican or Domincan (they're different if you hear them both a lot. If you don't live in central florida, not so much.)
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Northern: New York/New England

Southern: Midwestern...kind of broad (I hate british/scottish accents), maybe even Southern.

Rinthi: Cajun/creole

Tribal: Kind of like Native Americans from the old westerns. "Me Tonto, much wampum."

Allundean: French/Quebecois or even Pikey "I fu@$in HATE Pikeys!"

Mirrukim: Russian or German

Tatlum: Latin

Cavilish: Romanian
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Quote from: "Malifaxis"Tribal as an exotic greek or something accent.
Actually I imagine it more as Arabic.

Quote from: "MM"'rinthi was Australian
And now every single 'rinthi becomes comic relief.

As an Aussie I think that 'rinthi accent being Australian is probably right. We are all mostly descended from hard-core criminals sent as convicts to this country after all.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

North:  Southern U.S. drawl
South:  Proper British
Tribal:  Latino
'rinthi:  Brooklyn!   :twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

North: Southern drawl.
Luirs: Yankee/Canadian accents
South: Proper British.
Rinth: Cockney
Tribal: Arabic and other mixtures.
Storm: Australian.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "MM"'rinthi was Australian
And now every single 'rinthi becomes comic relief.
Um...why?  Really, what makes an Aussie accent turn someone into comic relief?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Um...why?  Really, what makes an Aussie accent turn someone into comic relief?
I can't imagine someone talking with a strong Australian accent with laughing (or groaning).

tuluki: Proper british
south: southern redneck.
your mother is an elf.

North:  Boston
South:  Texan
Rinthi:  Cockney
Tribal:  Welsh
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

I'd divide the South into two accents.  Byn and other.

Byn: Southern Redneck
Other: Standard American

Tuluki:  More British I suppose.
Rinther: Cockney
Tribals: What real accent has a musical lilt to it?  Indian?
Desert Elf:  Native American circa 1800
Storm: Redneck beyond belief

I definitely disagree with Allanak speaking like Southern Americans.  That's waaaay more laid back than what Allanak is all about.  Tuluk is more laid back, therefore, they take their time with their speech.  Allanak is very refined and blunt, to the point.  I'd say that Allanak is either like Detroit, or like Toronto.

Tuluk would be like Chicago, or perhaps, Seattle.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I don't really sound out the speech in my head... it takes on its own accent. A Tuluki accent is like a Tuluki accent... can't compare it to anything else. Weird, yes?
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

As was mentioned in some different thread, Czech sure sounds as Nrizkt.

On the other note, I noticed funny thing lately. I learned English mostly from books and internet, but now I have to use spoken English in work as well. Indeed, there is a -lot- of words I use when mudding but I cannot use when speaking, simply because I do not know how to pronounce them. Funny is that when I speak to someone, these words are simply avoiding my memory at all - as if "written English" and "spoken English" are two very different skills.  :roll:

Allanak: Aristocratic English (think Frasier)
Tuluk: British

(The cultures were melded for a while, so I think it's a bit soon for accents to have
unmuddled so much that they're much different)

Rinth: Cockney
Red Storm: Australian
Cenyr: New Zealand

Tribal: Scottish

A small area like the Known World is not that isolated from each other as nations in
our own history.  Ideas, goods and ways of speaking are traded all the time, so the
accents should be related in some way.  The farthest from the model would be the
Cenyr and Tribal accents, and even they can find other ways of speaking contagious.

Just as there are families of languages, there are also families of accents.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.