Using fake/temporary names.

Started by Forty Winks, May 11, 2006, 12:31:19 AM

Is it considered wrong to use a fake name that may not be in your key words list? After all, you can contact people through the Way using their names...yet not fake names. If you know of someone under a certain name, shouldn't you be able to use that name in emotes/says/etc?

You can, but people will obviously notice it OOCly (and of course, it could prove inconvenient for them).  I suggest submitting a request for a keyword change after making up a new alias for yourself.

-- X

Yes, I always find this very frustrating, and it makes me start wondering if I caught the name right.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

I think people should be able to add keywords to themself. I don't really see any abuse in it.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "Cegar"I think people should be able to add keywords to themself. I don't really see any abuse in it.

I do.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

add keyword God

say Hello my name is God

other player:

look God

say Yup you must be god.

ooc think: How the hell did he get that authed?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Or, you're playing "the gruff, sinewy man."

In the same room as "the slight, lanky dude" and "the shapely, horta-breasted woman."

Emote moves to give a pile of coins to ~shapely.

(The slight, lanky dude adds the keywords "shapely" "horta-breasted" and "woman" to his desc.)

give 500 coins shapely

(Slight, lanky dude sets run, hauls ass.)

>kill shapely

You really think that would happen?
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Are bears Catholic? Does the Pope shit in the woods?

I really, really do, yes. I don't have a huge amount of confidence in some players out there.

i had an experience with it today.

I just roleplayed around it, and didn't mind at all. My character already knew this guy was bullshit, he didn't need to know he was using an alias to boot.

I think the advantages from using an alias not on your keyword (anonyminity [sic]) are balanced by the people who will use OOC information to know you're lying.

as long as you use it for one time interactions, it's fine, but if you expect to interact with them more than once or twice, please have it added, as -they'd- know you by that name, regardless if you want to respond to it or not.

p.s.

If i ever have continued interactions with some one who is using a name not on their keyword list, ILL wish all to have it added.

I like using fake names.   :(  Especially if you're a magick user. Can't really trust everyone off the bat that easily. O-o Though, it would be ironic if you use the same name as the person who's asking for it... especially templars, real nasty.
umans have the weakest instincts of all kinds when compared to other animals. Our behavior patterns are more affected by learning than by our genes, thus we have a greater flexibility in what we do and become. We have freedom from genetic control.

Whenever I make a char -no matter what- I create a few extra names, even if I have no plans to use them and if it makes very little sense.

Because, you just never know.

If people did this regularly (say 3 extra fake names), then once they'd handed out 2 names, they could put in a request and say "woah, I'm going through my fake names quicker then I thought. Could you add Bob, Jane and Job please?" and still have 1 spare to use while the Imms get around to your request.

QuoteI think people should be able to add keywords to themself. I don't really see any abuse in it.

Quote(The slight, lanky dude adds the keywords "shapely" "horta-breasted" and "woman" to his desc.)

give 500 coins shapely

(Slight, lanky dude sets run, hauls ass.)

Perhaps make it something that you add in the Hall of Kings thingy? So that you have to find a quit room, go to the Hall, and then add the name? That should prevent people from ninja-changing their name to interrupt a trade interaction between two other people.

And perhaps limit the amount of extra keywords you can add, give the player a delay or short waiting period, tag a note on the PC for imms, saying  "added keyword 'Whatever' on day/month/year". Should prevent people from doing it on a whim, and even if they somehow abuse this, the imms would easily catch the person.
b]YB <3[/b]

It's perfectly completely and totally acceptable to do this all day long even until the cows come home.

However, if you're going to keep using the alias, then submit a request to have it added, please.  But if it's just a one-time thing, don't worry about it.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Hmm.. I think OTHER people can add extra keywords for you?

Like if your name is Amos, but you said your name is Malik (which is not in your keywords) the other people knowing you as Malik can add it to your keywords?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"Hmm.. I think OTHER people can add extra keywords for you?

Like if your name is Amos, but you said your name is Malik (which is not in your keywords) the other people knowing you as Malik can add it to your keywords?

joe-blow is standing here.
jane-doe is standing here.
moo-cow is standing here.
an inix is here.

joe-blow moves to backstab his kank.
> keyword kank moo-cow

I think I said it last time this isue came up (ar at least I agreed with it) that if you speak with someone often and the name they continually present isn't in their keyword list, then it's fine to wish up or e-mail the staff asking for that name to be added to said character's list.

Quote from: "davien"

joe-blow is standing here.
jane-doe is standing here.
moo-cow is standing here.
an inix is here.

joe-blow moves to backstab his kank.
> keyword kank moo-cow

Does not that look a little bit too extreme?  Because well, there are too many ways to abuse in most of the code issues as well.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Crazy idea alert!

How about.. er... letting other people assign a keyword to a person which only works for themselves? Example:

Joe meets Bob. Bob is really an incognito spy for the Allanaki government. He tells Joe that his name is Rasputinitus, yet he doesn't have that as a keyword since he just made it up.

Joe checks if Bob has Rasputinitus as a keyword, but he doesn't, so Joe types:

keyword bob rasputinitus
You assign Rasputinitus as a keyword for Bob

Now Joe can interact with Bob using Rasputinitus as a keyword, but others can't, as Bob hasn't lied to them about his name yet. Cannot be abused.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"keyword bob rasputinitus
You assign Rasputinitus as a keyword for Bob

Now Joe can interact with Bob using Rasputinitus as a keyword, but others can't, as Bob hasn't lied to them about his name yet. Cannot be abused.
Wanna bet?   :wink:

>keyword figure anonfigure

The tall figure in a dark, hooded cloak runs west, cackling madly.

You hear a voice from the west shout "You'll never find out who I am!"

>contact anonfigure

You contact the skinny, pointy-eared elf.

Damn you.

Make it not work with contact then? :P I dunno.
b]YB <3[/b]

Q:What was his name?
A:Anonfigure.

Q:What'd he look like?
A:He was skinny and tall. Obviously an elf.

Q:Are you stupid?
A: Yes
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

You could still go around doing ">emote glances at ~anonfigure" and find out who he is if he's in the same room with you.

As I said, people should have aliases added to their keyword list if they're used more than once.  If they don't, there's nothing wrong with alerting the staff to that fact and they can decide if it needs correcting.

I doubt this situation comes up often enough to warrant a coded command.

If I only meet someone once and they tell me their name is Amos, but it isn't a keyword, from then on I will forever know that Pc's name is Amos.

They should have the keyword added before they start using a nickname, or I think it is just abuse to get around the code.

The skinny, tall elf says, "Yea my name is Joebobthethird."

l joebobthethird

They're not here.

They just told me their name. Even if they did lie, I know them as Joebobthethird.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

And as I am thinking about it, I like the above idea because I can give that one person a name, they can tag me, and I can leave. This wouldn't happen then:

Tell noble Here is your spice, noble sir. Yes, My current name is Hgere.

Hgere leaves, and goes back to the militia barracks.

The templar looks at you.

The templar looks at you.

The templar smiles and says, "Look. So you are the smuggler."

OOCly, you think, WTF? I never told him I am Hgere.

Hgere dies.

I've heard of this happening, and it is horrible.