No free attacks when disengaged

Started by House Rising Sun, May 10, 2006, 04:55:23 PM

QuoteAlso, note that certain worn objects that occassionally fire off attacks are still not fixed for disengage. We are still discussing what to do about them.

I have a suggestion. Remove their scripts and simply have them give unarmed damage bonuses. They're silly.
Dig?

Some of us don't think they're silly and really like them, because of what they -add- to combat, which can already be a little stale if you don't emote.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I too find them humourous, and it makes me jealous when I don't have them.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I like when the gurth smirks at me as it sidesteps my backhand. Someday I'll establish a pub called 'The Smirking Gurth'.

I like them for what they are.

Whatever one might say, they are a stragtegic advantage.

That said, I wouldn't care if they went away and we got something in their place like "Fighting Styles".
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

What if when you disengaged, those same items gave you a defensive bonus?

You lift your arm and deflect Lord Poopbreath's blow, his weapon scraping along your steel-carved gith-toothed bracer.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I love these items too, but I think the scripts for them need updating and perhaps expanding.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I think the scripts for them need updating and perhaps expanding.

Agreed.

They're "a little silly" as they stand now.

They're l33t, but damn, they're so freaking cool.  :D
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Perhaps you could just remove them?  Not remove them from the game,  but remove the ones you happen to be wearing.  In combat I think that would make you drop them, which might not always be appropriate, but you can remove them before combat if you see it comming (like when sparring).

I don't see a problem with some "accidental" damage when disengaging.  If you've got spikes and razors strapped to your arms you are lucky that you aren't accidentally cutting people up while you are relaxing in your favorite tavern or simply walking through a crowded room.  You could accidentally cut someone who bumped into you in the street with those things, accidentally nicking someone while you are actively trying to to defend yourself from them seems perfectly logical.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

For sparring, I don't see a problem.  Anyone wearing those items that give extra little fun stuff?  Well, you don't go slashing people with the claws and razors and spikes hanging off of you.  It's just not cool.

In a real fight, though...?  I dunno.  Yeah, it should get fixed, but I wouldn't presume to try to think of how.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Make them drain stamina at each successful strike?

I don't know.  I don't like them.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Halaster"Some of us don't think they're silly and really like them, because of what they -add- to combat, which can already be a little stale if you don't emote.

Shouldn't people be emoting in combat? I thought that was one of the more significant thing that fighters had to do? Fighting without emoting seems like an RP deficiency, it's leaves just code, and that makes it seem like the person is only interested in powergaming.

Emoting during combat when you are fighting some that might kill you is a good way to get killed.

If I'm fighting something that has a remote chance of beating the crap out of me, the only think I do is type "flee" and wait.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "gfair"
Quote from: "Halaster"Some of us don't think they're silly and really like them, because of what they -add- to combat, which can already be a little stale if you don't emote.

Shouldn't people be emoting in combat? I thought that was one of the more significant thing that fighters had to do? Fighting without emoting seems like an RP deficiency, it's leaves just code, and that makes it seem like the person is only interested in powergaming.

Combat emoting is by far the most clunky looking thing ever.

It either generic boring emotes that might as well be combat spam or its a cool looking emote thats 5 rounds late.

In fact everytime I have emoted with when fighting something that could kill me, I have died. :)

Quote from: "grog"In fact everytime I have emoted with when fighting something that could kill me, I have died. :)

Not everytime for me, but I lost a fav. character by trying to attempt a quick emote about "getting to his feet and running", but the thing kept bashing me into the next screen every five seconds, until I blacked out and died...
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Not me.  You see, those combats in which I could get killed so fast that I would be dead before emoting, I did something productive and FLED!

Seriously, people, your character when attacked by a silt horror shouldn't do anything but try to HAUL ASS unless the character has some serious experience.  Don't complain that you tried to emote and died.  Flee, then emote.  I'm sure the staff won't hold it against you.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

What if someone accidentally killed someone in a spar due to those spikey thingies? o_O

"Alright, you win! I forfeit."

"Good fight, my friend." -stab- "Nooooo!"

Meh, just a worse-case scenario.  :?
umans have the weakest instincts of all kinds when compared to other animals. Our behavior patterns are more affected by learning than by our genes, thus we have a greater flexibility in what we do and become. We have freedom from genetic control.

Quote from: "Wykydtronn"Combat emoting is by far the most clunky looking thing ever.

It either generic boring emotes that might as well be combat spam or its a cool looking emote thats 5 rounds late.

Seconded.  I have a hard enough time thinking of one when I am unstressed and have the time to work my fingers, much less when trying to keep myself alive.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]