Lockpicks and rarity

Started by Burglar, May 06, 2006, 09:40:43 PM

Got a question here. Should lockpicks be a bit more accessible? I know they're supposed to be rare and illegal, but they are required for the burglar guild's main skill. I've been playing a burglar for over a week and I haven't seen any. I've asked a few people IC but noone knows or wants to answer, and I know that it's just a matter of time before I ask someone who runs and tells a templar and that'll be the end of my PC. I talked to someone else who stored his burglar after 3 weeks of never seeing a lockpick.

And before you go "but burglars get so many other skills" - yeah, but that's not why I chose burglar. I didn't pick him to be a crappy pick-pocket or a half-arsed warrior. I just think it's odd that the item required for the backbone skill of this guild is next to impossible to get.

They are entirely accessible.  You just don't know where to look.

In Tuluk, theres a place where the underbelly collects.  underbelly is a clue.

In Allanak.. Well, its pretty fucking obvious where to get illegal shit in Allanak :P.

Picks are -EASY- to get.  You just have to know where to look.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

I've never seen a lock-pick (except once when I was a militia soldier) in all the years I've been playing. Whenever I created a burglar, I'd always die within a few days after looking for one. I personally think they should definitely be a bit more accessible.

I assure you that they're not as rare as you think, just gotta be looking in the right places. Wandering the elven market in tuluk or the warrens most likely isn't gonna produce something like that, go where there is less law and order.. simple as that. What's the trashiest place in the south? Where do you find the least amount of soldiers in Tuluk? Or just ask someone that looks as shady as you, maybe it'd be more like your character to do something like that.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I think burglars should get the ability to craft lockpicks right from the get-go, allowing them to whittle themselves a crappy pick of pointed bone that gives them a -5% to their lockpicking skill, or something.
Lockpicks are easy to get ahold of, once you know where to go... but once again, this is one of those elitist, esoteric things that you have to create one or two "throw-away" characters just to discover, generally speaking. I think, realistically, crude, entry-level lockpicks should be a bit easier to get ahold of. I mean, really, all they are is a few pieces of slim bone or wood.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

In Tuluk, if a character has difficulty finding pick locks go to your local templar and ask them.  They should be able to point your char in the right direction.

Get a Thief liscence, and THEN ask a Templar.

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"Get a Thief liscence, and THEN ask a Templar.

Very good point.  :)

Do the two at once.

I have had a long lived and very successful burglar.  You don't need to make "throwaway characters" or anything of the sort.  My character must have logged almost 10 days online time before he finally got his pick, and he got it through a PC. (OOC I know where they are found, but ICly, this character was poorly positioned to take advantage of that).  That wait didn't cause him any trouble at all, and was probably beneficial, all things considered.  Just be persistent, and play your character.  Lockpicks, eventually, take care of themselves.

Picks are pretty accessible.  You just have to look in unlawful places and here's a hint:  illegalities don't come cheap.  Save up some starting coins.

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"In Allanak.. Well, its pretty fucking obvious where to get illegal shit in Allanak :P.

Picks are -EASY- to get.  You just have to know where to look.
Bullshit. I'm sorry, but this is blatantly not true. I have explored the entire rinth that is publically accessible. Lockpicks aren't sold in an easy-to-get-to place in the 'rinth. Wherever they're sold, it's damn hard to get to. I've lost more characters then I can count exploring the 'rinth. But I did so in the hopes that eventually I'd find a lockpick. I didn't find a single one.

Are they found in the 'rinth? Well no shit. Of course they are. But wherever they are in the 'rinth, it aint somewhere you're average newbie will get to easily. Or your 10th 'rinther will get to. Wherever it is, it ISN'T as easy as everyone here is making out.

[EDIT]: I do have my suspicions on where you can sell lockpicks, but I have yet to find an NPC loaded with them in the 'rinth. And I've searched it. In every single room (this was a couple of years ago).

Guess it was too IC.

Oh well.

I've taken out a few posts that were overly specific in where/how to find lockpicks.

Please keep that in mind when replying to this post.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Uh.. that's IC info SirDiealot..

*thwap*
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Considering how truly badass a burgular with any kind of intelligence can become....The great wealth they can potentially gain just from looting poor soul's apartments...I think that lock picks should be much harder to come by than they are. As it is they are extremely easy to get in my opinon keeping in mind exactly what they are going to be used for...Potentially looting out someone's entire livelyhood. I say make them harder to get than they already are. I have had multiple lock picks, never played a burgular, and never once went into any unlawful zone to attain them...Just look around, they are there.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I've never seen lock-picks, and I mapped all of the 'rinth except for secret areas.
b]YB <3[/b]

I had/have, not telling which, a char who had/has 2 picks on him/her at this/that time without ever paying a dime.

No, they aren't hard to find.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Lockpicks, poisons, and other shady supplies are some of the stuff that are best acquired from other PCs. Find your friendly neighborhood Guilder, or shady elf with connections, or templar, noble, merchant, whoever who might be able to get you one.

IMO the best check on the power of the pick skill is that the burglar has to be smart enough to find a lockpick to begin with. I wouldn't want to see that changed.

While you're waiting/looking, work up some of the auxilliary skills that you'll need to burgle places, too. Sneak, hide, and in some cases climb are needed before you can even get to a door to pick. You'll find a pick eventually.

Quote from: "Burglar"Got a question here. Should lockpicks be a bit more accessible? I know they're supposed to be rare and illegal, but they are required for the burglar guild's main skill. I've been playing a burglar for over a week and I haven't seen any. I've asked a few people IC but noone knows or wants to answer, and I know that it's just a matter of time before I ask someone who runs and tells a templar and that'll be the end of my PC. I talked to someone else who stored his burglar after 3 weeks of never seeing a lockpick.

And before you go "but burglars get so many other skills" - yeah, but that's not why I chose burglar. I didn't pick him to be a crappy pick-pocket or a half-arsed warrior. I just think it's odd that the item required for the backbone skill of this guild is next to impossible to get.

I think we've already established that getting a pick is attainable. How you go about in obtaining it depends on circumstances surrounding your character, locations, connections, etc, all things that I would feel exciting trying to figure out with your character, rather than focusing solely on gettin your pick skill up so you can go rob a room blind.  :wink:  (I mainly joke) Before any more IC sensitive things get thrown out, I think it's best to conclude with that.

This is yet another issue that's newbie-unfriendly.

Everyone who knows where to get a pick says that it's easy, incredibly easy, to get a pick and start picking locks.

Those players, obviously, will never have issues getting themselves a pick the next time they get a burglar.

Newbies, or those new to burglars, on the other hand, seem to have absolutely no clue - even those who have invested real amounts of time into looking.

Either picks should be genuinely difficult to get, or they should be more obvious. But not where they apparantly are now - "super super easy to get, if I tell you. Which I won't. Mwahaha!"
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Either picks should be genuinely difficult to get, or they should be more obvious. But not where they apparantly are now - "super super easy to get, if I tell you. Which I won't. Mwahaha!"

I think this is the best thing that has been said in this entire thread.

Quote from: "jcarter"
Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Either picks should be genuinely difficult to get, or they should be more obvious. But not where they apparantly are now - "super super easy to get, if I tell you. Which I won't. Mwahaha!"

I think this is the best thing that has been said in this entire thread.

Yet, how much more obvious without telling everyone who looks for it exactly where it's at? And how much more harder to get than from certain PCs? Currently, I think the difficultly in finding picks are fine as they are for now.

Ask people in the game.  It'll be easier than finding one on your own.

Once you get one, you'll find the rest are in pretty easy supply...just take em from other people's apartments.  And then you can pay to have the people killed who you told originally with all the money you make from your loot, preserving your anonymity.  Make sure to pass on your newfound lockpicks to others.  The cycle continues.

By the way, I love burglars.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."