Skill idea: Access

Started by flurry, April 29, 2006, 12:35:30 PM

The thread about pickpockets and what they can do got me thinking about this.   People have talked before about the ability to steal from closed packs.  What about a skill like this?  It would help allow for stealing from closed packs, but that would require using several skills to pull the whole thing off.

Skill Access

This skill is used to open a container discreetly.  It can be used to open a container in the room, worn by another person, or worn by you.

Syntax:

access <container>
access <character name>'s <container>

Examples:

access crate
access dwarf's knapsack

Notes:

If the target is a container in the room, a failed access will result in a normal "open" echo.

A locked container cannot be opened this way.

Anyone in the room with you has a chance to try and notice you doing
this. If you succeed at your access attempt, your victim (if any) does not get a chance to see it with watch.

If your victim (if any) is watching you, it will be very difficult to pull off
the access attempt.

Delay:

before

(Obviously, I borrowed some of the wording from existing help files.)
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

This would be cool, but only as a branched skill later on for pickpockets exclusively.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Yeah, that's what I was thinking -- for pickpockets at the top of their game.

Nice idea, I like it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I like it, and something like this is definitely needed to make highly skilled pick-pockets worth anything. As it is now, it's probably the class that gains the least from being "maxed out" (if you compare it to classes like warriors, burglars, assassins and merchants) and the class that has the least amount of valuable skills available to them.
b]YB <3[/b]

I'm scared of twinks getting a hold of this skill. Otherwise, I like it.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

If it's something that you gain towards the very end of the skill spectrum, I think it'd be fine.
b]YB <3[/b]

Yes, yes, oh my God, yes.
Realistically, backpacks and such should be the -easiest- place to steal from, not the hardest. Seriously, try it in real-life sometime.
It should definetly be possible to steal from a closed backpack. I like this idea a lot... and I never play pickpockets. It's just realistic.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"Yes, yes, oh my God, yes.
Realistically, backpacks and such should be the -easiest- place to steal from, not the hardest. Seriously, try it in real-life sometime.
It should definetly be possible to steal from a closed backpack. I like this idea a lot... and I never play pickpockets. It's just realistic.

Yeah, you're right, realistically it would be the easiest. But from a playability point of view (for other people than the pick-pocket) it would be best if they don't get it until the upper half of their career. If any fresh new thief could stroll into a tavern and start stealing from people's closed backpacks, it would become ugly.
b]YB <3[/b]

Nice idea.  And since Morgenes like it as well, I am guessing it will be coded in like.... today?  :)
some of my posts are serious stuff

not today, actually got things going on around the house, and I still need to think about it some more.  I'm not 100% sold on access as the skill/command name.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"not today, actually got things going on around the house, and I still need to think about it some more.  I'm not 100% sold on access as the skill/command name.

I would suggest 'pilfer'.
b]YB <3[/b]

I suggest open.

Open target's pack
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I suggest open.

Open target's pack

I think they are looking for a command that isn't already taken.    I suggest Crack.  :)

edit:
I almost like the opening objects and doors better then the backpack thing.   A very experienced thief should be able to get into places without people noticing doors opening.

Some other suggestions for the name:

encroach

infringe

breach

Keeping it with Open would make it streamlined, easy to understand, not to mention that it would make the outcomes easier to understand.

Not sure how it would work on containers though.
Crack for containers, open for target Pc's stuff.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Open could lead to unfortunate typos, since it is a commonly used command.  It could also lead to weird bugs where the code thinks you are trying to use the skill Open rather than the command Open, so it won't let you open your door because you aren't skillfull enough.

I vote for Loot, Empty or Twiddle.

These are good too:
Quote from: "Thesaurus.com"Main Entry:   open
Part of Speech:   verb 2
Definition:   clear
Synonyms:   bare, breach, break in, break out, broach, burst, bust in, come apart, crack, disclose, display, disrupt, expand, expose, fissure, free, gap, gape, hole, jimmy, kick in, lacerate, lance, penetrate, perforate, pierce, pop, puncture, release, reveal, rupture, separate, sever, slit, slot, split, spread, tap, unblock, unbolt, unclose, unclothe, uncork, uncover, undo, unfasten, unfold, unfurl, unlatch, unlock, unroll, unseal, unshut, unstop, untie, unwrap, vent, ventilate, yawn, yawp
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Jimmy sounds sneaky enough. :)  If I can make all the sneaky types in game starting using that as a code to opening doors, will that make it easier?  :)

One other issue that comes to mind is whether closing things should be part of this too.  If it was all part of one command, then the name would have to encompass both opening and closing.  Maybe AC's "twiddle", or "finesse", or "manipulate".

I'm kind of liking finesse.

It could also be like sleight of hand, and include an open and close command.

Two other name possibilities: bypass or circumvent.

Mmm... I like "bypass" the best, I think.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

i think loot.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

It'd probably be a pain to code... but...

QuoteSkill Sleight of Hand  (Equipment)  

This skill allows the particularly deft of hand the chance to retrieve or put away items without being noticed by the not particularly observant.

Syntax:

palm (item) (container)
slip (item) (container)

Example:

> palm card boot
> slip card boot

To me, palm seems perfect for this type of operation... grabbing something from someone's pack without them noticing.  Sleight of hand seems like the best name for this type of command, the only real snag I see is the fact that you might not know what you're grabbing, but then, that's a problem with using a steal-type command as well.

Of course, I'll never be a coder.

Lord Templar Hard Nose is coding-deficient... make lunch not code.

Quote from: "Eternal"..To me, palm seems perfect for this type of operation... grabbing something from someone's pack without them noticing.  Sleight of hand seems like the best name for this type of command, the only real snag I see is the fact that you might not know what you're grabbing, but then, that's a problem with using a steal-type command as well.

Of course, I'll never be a coder.

Lord Templar Hard Nose is coding-deficient... make lunch not code.

Palm and Slip all have to deal with only the player or player vs object.

Steal and Plant have to do with player vs player or player vs room.

I think everything that is player vs player should be under 'steal' and thus branch from that skill... and not have to do with anything that palm / slip deals with.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one