skinning

Started by Manhattan, April 28, 2006, 02:07:25 AM

how about time lags for skinning, eh? eh?
it's kind of unrealistic to peel that hide off, chop that leg off, remove the horns, and seperate the teeth all in under a second....
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I never really thought about it, but I never really saw it as that big of an issue.

I actually suggested skinning to be like crafting.

>skin body

>You beging skinning...

and after a while you would get your result lying on yhe ground before you.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Yeah. It'd be nice for it to work in sections.
You begin skinning...
You carefully carve the meat away from the fat guy's thigh.
You scalp the fat guy, cutting away a section of matted hair.
You spill the fat guy's cellulite, collecting it in a pile.

You find the rest of the fat guy's body unworkable. (or something along these lines to let people know that they're finished skinning).

Then again, I really have no trouble with how it works now. I doubt very many people just skin;get meat;get scalp;get cellulite;mount kank, and those that do, a delay won't really change anything for them.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

That's gross!

But yeah, not a bad idea in itself, but I can see it being pretty low on the priority list. First of all, most people (should) RP out skinning rather than just skin body/get all/scoot, and even if they don't, they don't really get much of a coded advantage from not having to wait a little bit. Unless you do something crazy like stop to skin a corpse in the middle of being chased by angry gith.
b]YB <3[/b]

Time spent skinning is time spent vulnerable. There should be a delay.

EDIT: I'd prefer a craft-like delay. It should be breakable. That way, if I attack you while you've got your skinning knife out, you can immediately draw your sword.

I'll agree with that. A delay wouldn't be bad as long as it would be breakable by any command or removing the skinning knife from your primary or secondary hand. It'd buy time for a hidden attacker to actually strike when the skinner's guard is down.
ho hates posting? I do! I do!

I'd actually prefer the lag to allow portions of the animal to be carved off.

Say, for instance, you skin a scrab.

You begin to skin a dead scrab.

You carve the shell from it.

You cuts its eyes out.

You slickly detach its genitals.

Anywhere in there, you could cease skinning and leave behind the half-harvested body of a scrab.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

That would be cool 7DV, but a lot more work then a simple delay.

Don't know, I'm not much a fan of delay on skinning.

As it stands now, most people, including myself spend time before and normaly after on emotes to skinning. This is the player imposing a delay as it would be instead of the code (I am normaly not in favor of code enforcement unless it is an issue such as combat skills without delays...See gate guards, walk in with spice sometime in nak.)

If a coded delay was imposed, I can tell you, I would simply pick up the corpse(s) and take them with me so I can skin them in safety later, Probly in private so most likley without much in the way of a skinning emote.

I do like 7DV idea though, since I think it would actually allow more emoting and hence more player made delays.

In the end, I think, for the most part, only weak races/pc's would be penalized with a delay to skinning.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

While 7DV's idea sounds interesting, it is a bit problamatic unless you simply allow the code to do all the work.

Take the following example.

em takes ~knife and thrusts it into the belly of ~body
You begin to skin a dead scrab.

em cuts away at the antenna of ~body
You carve the shell from it.

think No, thats not right.

em cuts deftly at the crotch area of ~body
You cuts its eyes out.

think Shit, definetly not right.

em cuts along the jawline of ~body
You slickly detach its genitals.

think Well crap, I need to stop using so much spice before hunting.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "X-D"If a coded delay was imposed, I can tell you, I would simply pick up the corpse(s) and take them with me so I can skin them in safety later, Probly in private so most likley without much in the way of a skinning emote.

Actually that would be realistic to drag corpses somewhere safe before you start working on them.  Though as we know, corpses would cause a lot of encumbrance on your shoulders and would still leave you prone in the desert for just carrying them.

Even better, then....

>skin scrab
You could harvest a shell, genitals, and a pair of eyes from the corpse of a scrab.

>skin scrab genitals
You cut the genitals from a scrab.

skin scrab shell
You manage to break the shell while harvesting it.

No delay, but targetable products?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Why not make 'skinning' a real craft skill?> craft corpse
You could craft that into a shell, head, legs and antenna

> craft corpse into a shell, head, legs and antenna
Blood and gore spray as you begin working.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Why not make 'skinning' a real craft skill?

But then we will have to actually pick up the corpse.

I like 7's idea best, personally..

QuoteYour slash wounds the afafasdfasf-scrab, killing it!
em lets out a long-drawn sigh, sheathing ~sword and ~blade into ~belt.

sheath sword
sheath blade

l
Some Place {NEWS}
It's some place.
The body of afafafas-scrab lies here on some random place.

em reaches a hand into ~belt, snapping a clasp open and pulling out ~knife.
get knife belt

wield knife

em turns to face ~scrab, kneeling by the body.

skin scrab

You could cut off the shell.
You could cut off the head.
You could cut off the legs.
You could cut off the antenna.
You could remove it's gentials.

skin scrab shell

You begin cutting away at the shell of afsgasdgsdg-scrab.

{15-30 seconds later..maybe more.}

You cut loose the shell from the afasfasfasfas-scrab's body, placing it aside.

Some Place {NEWS}
It's some place.
The body of afafafas-scrab lies here on some random place.
A scrab-shell lies here on some place.

skin scrab

You could cut off the head.
You could cut off the legs.
You could cut off the antenna.
You could remove it's gentials.

get corpse
mount
pack corpse

Thats what inix are for.

Also, strong races can carry a suprising amount without being encumbered.

But yes, It is more realistic to go to safety.

But all I'm saying is some races/pc's would be penalized and some would not.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Duh too early in the morning... ignore me.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Perhaps even skin for speed, thorough or whatever.

skin body carefully

<longest delay>

<best chance of more items>

skin body hastily

<shortest delay>

<best chance of wrecking the corpse>

skin body

<joe standard>

Also as an addition to .. hmm whoever.. I think 7DV who was talking about parts. The code may support location checks on the creature at hand? Also using the 'cease' command should stop the process where it is.

Long story short, I would have to have a better grasp of the skill code before I could offer anything more concrete. But I like the idea of a delay on skin in return for some variation.

>Skin critter
You begin skinning a big ole critter.
Very old. But I like this idea. Delay to skinning would make my day. It's a pet peave of mine for someone to skin something in front of me... period. I get real nervous 'cus I think they're not going to emote. When they do I feel better.

Also... how would I use the request tool to make an actual request like this, or suggestion?
"Suggestion or idea" under "GDB"?
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Use the idea command in-game.  The stuff Tuannon suggests has been mentioned for Arm Reborn, for what it's worth.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Chettaman on July 28, 2011, 03:44:11 PM
>Skin critter
You begin skinning a big ole critter.
Very old. But I like this idea. Delay to skinning would make my day. It's a pet peave of mine for someone to skin something in front of me... period. I get real nervous 'cus I think they're not going to emote. When they do I feel better.

Also... how would I use the request tool to make an actual request like this, or suggestion?
"Suggestion or idea" under "GDB"?

I don't think adding more delay is going to make someone who doesn't emote it start emoting it out. I emote to some degree when skinning most of the time. Sometimes in more detail, sometimes in less, adding more delay to it would actually make me get bored with it over and over again must faster and I'd probably start throwing in emotes for it less and less out of irritation over yet another delay to have to sit through. As it is, alot of delays for things I can type out in detail faster than the delay lasts and I'm annoyed by being forced to continue sitting through a delay longer after having described my actions. Sometimes, I start an action with a delay, if I'm not bored with it, throw out some emotes, then flip over to my browser and read the gdb, check email, Facebook, chat on im or stare at the tv while sitting through a delay on arm. Delays are encouraging me -not- to have my full attention on the game. I notice others are idling more and more now days and I think they might be doing the same thing as me.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Kalden on April 28, 2006, 06:29:33 PM

EDIT: I'd prefer a craft-like delay. It should be breakable. That way, if I attack you while you've got your skinning knife out, you can immediately draw your sword.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on July 28, 2011, 06:28:52 PM
Quote from: Kalden on April 28, 2006, 06:29:33 PM

+2
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.