Overhunting? or Too Many Starting Animals?

Started by Arbonne, April 23, 2006, 06:09:41 PM

Here's the trend I've been seeing, at least in the northlands.

After a reboot, there's plenty of animals for hunters to go around and share. So, as a hunter, you might pick a few here and there and then go and sell what you have. After that initial period, once most of the hunters have had their rounds in the plains, not only is there fewer animals to find at all, there's also no merchant who has the coins to buy any more.

Perhaps this is simply my own experience, but does anyone else notice this?

As a suggestion, would it be possible to limit the number of starting animals that appear, and instead spread the remaking of them to be more often over a longer period? That way even if a hunter or group over-hunts, they wouldn't be taking all that much for shops to lose all their coins, and hunters later in the day will be able to go out and hunt and get their own coins as well.
Edited to add: I think this might belong in the code forum.

I believe that in some areas in the game, where SimDesert or whatever it's called is in effect, creature spawns are like you want them, based on a sort of ecosystem and not all clumped together after every reboot. As far as I know, this system will eventually be spread to all areas.

Of course, anyone who abuses the weekly respawns - either to clearhunt areas or soak up a merchant's entire budget with sold items - is abusing the code and should stop it. There's nothing more aggravating than finding yourself in one of those month-long periods when some Uber Jewelcrafter or Ultratailor or whatever is flooding every merchant, an hour after every reboot, and preventing normal characters from doing normal business. Same goes for hunters.

A number of times, I've been witness to the respawning of wild creatures.  I'll be out fighting something, usually in the grasslands area east of tuluk, and suddenly there will just be two more of that creature I just killed in the room with me.  They didn't walk in from any direction.  They just...appeared out of thin air.  So there are some areas that respawn all these things on a fairly regular basis, and don't seem to have to wait for a reboot or crash.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

It's not the spawning that I was mainly concerned about. It's the there are so many animals that can be hunted when first rebooted that the coins from the merchant shops run out within a few rl days.

Quote from: "Arbonne"It's not the spawning that I was mainly concerned about. It's the there are so many animals that can be hunted when first rebooted that the coins from the merchant shops run out within a few rl days.
Same thing with crafters, you just have to be considerate to other players. But you know what? If I have a choice between selling five of one item, or dying, I'll sell the five items.

If the merchants run out of coins, go somewhere else and sell.
Or...stop hunting.

I don't see the problem here.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

If you are experiencing competition, kill 'em, maim them, or change their mind.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"If you are experiencing competition, kill 'em, maim them, or change their mind.

Exactly, overhunting is an IC problem and should be dealt with ICly. Not posting on the boards about it.
I see it time and time again that people have this probem IC and try to use the board as an OOC means to get the problem solved because it's easier to complain and say it's poor play on the other player's part than take a chance and possibly risk your pc doing anything about it.

Someone's overhunting is hurting your survival or your business?

There's an opportunity for some conflict rp for ya. Get to work and deal with it in character.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "jhunter"Exactly, overhunting is an IC problem and should be dealt with ICly. Not posting on the boards about it.
But is it over hunting? Or is it a code quirk? Some animals respawn, great. Do all of the animals respawn that should? It doesn't really make much sense that the wilds is "over hunted" one day, but Vanth then goes and crashes the mud so the next day the wildlife has suddenly thrived from being over hunted the day before.

So I think it's perfectly acceptable to say "you know what. Going around and hunting a ton just after reboot and then not hunting until the next crash sucks. Don't do it" on the GDB.

If the code does respawn animals a correct amount, then great. If there aren't any, that means they're either more sparse then I thought or they're being over hunted and I'll act accordingly.

It makes sense though (until the code is even more sophisticated) to double check if this is a code problem, and if it ask players not to suck.

Oh and please don't kill me Vanth. Only kidding

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "jhunter"Exactly, overhunting is an IC problem and should be dealt with ICly. Not posting on the boards about it.
But is it over hunting? Or is it a code quirk? Some animals respawn, great. Do they all? It doesn't really make much sense that the wilds is "over hunted" one day, but Vanth then goes and crashes the mud so the next day the wildlife has suddenly thrived from being over hunted the day before.

So I think it's perfectly acceptable to say "you know what. Going around and hunting a ton just after reboot and then not hunting until the next crash sucks. Don't do it" on the GDB.

If the code does respawn animals a correct amount, then great. If there aren't any, that means they're either more sparse then I thought or they're being over hunted and I'll act accordingly.

It makes sense though (until the code is even more sophisticated) to double check if this is a code problem, and if it ask players not to suck.

Sure it makes sense that the -area- is overhunted one day. Maybe the animals that remain are hiding because of the commotion of hunting previously? Maybe they are deterred by the scent of blood? After things have settled down a bit the beasts return to the area? There's any number of realistic reasons that can be used to explain this.

Quote from: "moab"If the merchants run out of coins, go somewhere else and sell.
Or...stop hunting.

I don't see the problem here.

As a newbie hunter, with barely enough coin to afford water, nothing is more annoying then actually being sucessful on hunt, but not have any merchant able to buy the shit you just work so hard to get.

I ran around Allanak looking for a way to make money off the one Scrab shell I was lucky to have.

And that was on friday, reboots are every Wednesday I think?

It happens every so often, its like some godly hunter, runs out every wednesday and spam hunts insanely.  Comes back in 9 hours later and walks away with all the coin in the bazaar.

Hell I've even gone out and seen stuff laying in the sand, just wasting away, not because its useless but because it doesn't sell well.

Twinkery?

Nine times out of ten it is because there are several people hunting the same area. Sometimes competition for game is fierce.

I'd like for merchants to not have the hard stop of 5 goods and instead pay less and less for each of the same item.

Something like every 5 hides decrease the amount they'll pay by 50% of the previous.  It's artificial but it'd simulate some aspects of supply and demand, at least.

Also if something's lying on the ground, perhaps that person didn't want it. Perhaps they were hunting the scrab for something else. Now they have a choice. Junk it, or drop it. Sometimes I junk, other times I drop. With a hunter you can junk it, emoting out spoiling the meat or drop it, emoting out it being part of the carcass for anyone who wants to come along and emote craving up the scrab.

I didn't really mean the thread to turn this way. The original intend was to ask if there could be some way to spread out the amount of spawning of animals so that with a single reboot, no matter how many hunters or spamhunters there are, you'll step away with only a few animals, but the animals will spawn more often over a course of the RL week, spreading out how much coins the shops give out. I guess more of a code issue.

Quote from: "CRW"I'd like for merchants to not have the hard stop of 5 goods and instead pay less and less for each of the same item.

Something like every 5 hides decrease the amount they'll pay by 50% of the previous.  It's artificial but it'd simulate some aspects of supply and demand, at least.

I agree, I think this is a good idea. No cap to how much they'll buy other than the amount of coin they have. Just have them pay less for them the more of that item they have in stock.

Quote from: "Arbonne"I didn't really mean the thread to turn this way. The original intend was to ask if there could be some way to spread out the amount of spawning of animals so that with a single reboot, no matter how many hunters or spamhunters there are, you'll step away with only a few animals, but the animals will spawn more often over a course of the RL week, spreading out how much coins the shops give out. I guess more of a code issue.

Sorry your thread kind of touched on my concerns of being a newbie.  Its just very frustrating trying to learn how to play such a role, when you have compete with people who've broken the game.

And there is a 5 item limit? There are 40-60 players on average when I can log on!  Jesus christ! There isn't that many merchants to go around and there is practically zero player economy? How do you expect some one to survive the the second part of the week? Not log on? Eat and drink sand?

Hunt, then go to a different city state.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Newbie Hunter"Sorry your thread kind of touched on my concerns of being a newbie.  Its just very frustrating trying to learn how to play such a role, when you have compete with people who've broken the game.

And there is a 5 item limit? There are 40-60 players on average when I can log on!  Jesus christ! There isn't that many merchants to go around and there is practically zero player economy? How do you expect some one to survive the the second part of the week? Not log on? Eat and drink sand?

Hmm, in terms of that, yes, it does suck once all the shops are sold of coins. The only way to really bypass that is to join a merchant house or work with a PC who need the raw material. Search around, there's a few IG instances of that happening. In any case, we either need more PC merchants, or some way to spread out the giving out of coin.

Quote from: "Tamarin"A number of times, I've been witness to the respawning of wild creatures.  I'll be out fighting something, usually in the grasslands area east of tuluk, and suddenly there will just be two more of that creature I just killed in the room with me.  They didn't walk in from any direction.  They just...appeared out of thin air.  So there are some areas that respawn all these things on a fairly regular basis, and don't seem to have to wait for a reboot or crash.

Called sneak attack, they flank yo ass!

===

And on the topic o' huntin.  Maybe42or54 had an excellent idea for hunting seasons a while back, that maybe they'd be willing to put out, (if you've gotten approval from the imms for mating seasons and stuff, I can't see why this might not be regarded game around)  I, in the past played people who would go out and just spam kill stuff.  Now I'm more conscious about the environment.  My outlook is this,  you're killing more than one of each species, you're putting the environment in danger.  Always give back after you take something (pouring water on the ground to help support life in a certain area)  Try not to take down too many kills a day, I usually make mine three or less.  And really a large majority of the people who are indy, settle for less than three if they've goot skinning skills.  Because there's only so much you need to get started off, then you just need to maintain assests, water, food the occasional repair, so on.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "Newbie Hunter"Sorry your thread kind of touched on my concerns of being a newbie.  Its just very frustrating trying to learn how to play such a role, when you have compete with people who've broken the game.
Joining a Merchant House is a good idea then. Your stuck with them for 5 years, but you'll ICly and OOCly learn the role.

Quote from: "Newbie Hunter"And there is a 5 item limit? There are 40-60 players on average when I can log on!  Jesus christ! There isn't that many merchants to go around and there is practically zero player economy? How do you expect some one to survive the the second part of the week? Not log on? Eat and drink sand?
It's definitely possible to survive as a crafter (not so sure as a hunter. Although if you've got the ranger guild (as all newbie hunters should) forage for food, you'll survive). As for me, I refuse to sell to NPCs unless I must in order to:
* Get food
* Get water
* Desperately need supplies
* Somehow managed to get an apartment and need to pay rent

I'll only ever have 2 'sid or so in my pocket as a result (sorry pick-pockets ;)), but I'll be spending the rest of my time trying to sell to PCs. There is a PC economy. Look around. It's not extremely apparent at first, but you'll find the PCs who need what you're providing.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Hunt, then go to a different city state.

When I'm already running out of coin and water... TRAVEL TO ANOTHER FUCKING CITY?

As I said, I'm a newbie, I'm struggling.  Last thing I need is bad advice like this, I haven't broken the game.  I don't know how or where to forage for water.  I don't know where the desert quit safe rooms are.

I don't even know where the cities are in relation to each other, I just follow roads like a douche bag till I see gates and hope that some giant creature with a mouth the side of my torso doesn't find me along the way.

Do some of you vets know how hard it is just to get a character started? Learn the ropes of the game anymore?  I don't like blasting through characters every 6 hours.  Its unfair when everyone else has OOC knowledge they refuse to un-ass themselves from so they can't lay the smack down on some poor newbie who struggling with the syntax let alone trying to make enough coin to survive.

Arbonne-Getting a job with a house or finding a PC is easier said then done.

You can't depend on other players... ever, espeically in a game like this, where PC's die so often and in high numbers.  On top of the fact, if you keep the hours of a crack whore, not many people are on.  So its unfair to us few, who are either play an iso role, or not logged on at peak.  Sure the game is harsh, but it shouldn't be unplayable.

But I'm getting really far off topic.

Selling to PCs can create work in itself...

Joe Tenneshi says "So you got this scrab kidney eh? I am making a special scrab kidney pie.. I want another ten.. pay you fifty sid a piece."

think Woot!

My biggest peeve at the moment is also the shut off on NPC merchant buying chaff. I would prefer to see diminishing returns on sales than a lack of interest, but I am obviously looking at it from the sellers viewpoint. By the same token I would hate to have 38 gurth rumps I couldn't sell stinking up my shop.

Quote from: "John"
Joining a Merchant House is a good idea then. Your stuck with them for 5 years, but you'll ICly and OOCly learn the role.

I just wanted to Chime in one more time and then I'm going to stop posting.

I hate clans.  I hate their rules and I hate the oath thing or whatever.  So I don't have any desire to join them.  On top of the fact, I log on just towards the end of peak.  So I may never even get a chance to interact with anyone in the clan.

That and, I'm still getting the emote system down, the syntax down, and the general feel of the game.  Nothing I hate more then making a huge key-word or other mistake in public.  Especially when some of the player base can come off EXTREMELY elitist.

Well, try hunting and going to a different place. Like hunt in the Gol and sell your things in the south and Luirs.

Get contacts before you hunt, find out what they want and get it.

Mr. Kadius the 16th may want a certain hide mroe than the others.