Untrapping

Started by Arbonne, April 21, 2006, 02:39:17 AM

I've been wondering if there was a way to untrap something, or even to defuse a fuse that has been set. Now that there is a watch skill, perhaps that could be adjusted to see whether a doorway/chest is trapped or not, plus any bonuses with scan, etc, and if you detect a trap there, and you have the trap skill, you are able to defuse or 'untrap' it.

Damn good question, that's something I've never really had to do IC before. I've toyed with the trap skill a bit and found it very interesting though never even pondered removing the trap.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

It's very easy to remove a trap.
The templar tells his new recruit "Alright recruit. I want you to open this suspicious bag, but over there."

the recruit walks west.

the templar yells "No! A bit further!"

To the west you see the recruit walk west.

To the west you see the recruit get blown up.
Very low tech, but very effective ;)

No, in all seriousness it would be good. Perhaps have it branch from trap?

Better yet, give the guys with trap in their skill list to realize if something is trapped or not.

With analyze?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"Better yet, give the guys with trap in their skill list to realize if something is trapped or not.

With analyze?

With assess or assess -v

[edit: To respond to Ghost below and not clutter the thread]

I agree, obviously only someone skilled in trapping should be able to spot a trap.  Whether or not they can always see the trap or whether it is a skill check you can fail at would probably depend on what's easiest to code.

The reason I said assess is because that is the default command to see what things are used for and whether or not they're special in any way.  It's a cluttered command but so long as all the clutter is of the same use to examine an item or person I'm all for it.  Analyze, on the other hand, is a command solely used in crafting to tell what an item is made of.

Quote from: "SpyGuy"

With assess or assess -v

Assess is not a skill itself.  Without skill check, it would give an exact answer.  That is why I thought analyze could be something to put in here.  But if "asses" in realizing the trapped object uses the skill check of "trap" that is also a good idea.  As long as it is a skill check.  In fact, if it uses trap skill level, it is even better.

What about attaching it to a high scan skill?

As far as "defusing" traps, I think the only thing you can do is stick a fuse into the trapped thing and blow it away.

Quote from: "jcarter"As far as "defusing" traps, I think the only thing you can do is stick a fuse into the trapped thing and blow it away.
Now -that- is a highly ingenious method of getting rid of a trap, if you're concern is damage to people, rather then property.

I think "scan" is not for finding the trap.  Bomb experts do not have to be sharp on their observing abilities, but they are the ones that see all kinds of bombs around, and are skilled to make different bombs, timed devices, and as well as disabling them.  That is why I thought it would be related to someone with "trap" skill.  He knows where to look and how to undo what he could already do.

I've long wondered why ArmageddonMUD, of all games, does not have a detect/disarm traps ability.

I thought disarming traps was already in the game in at least some sense.  Not having ever done so personally, though, I can't say for sure.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"I thought disarming traps was already in the game in at least some sense.  Not having ever done so personally, though, I can't say for sure.

Yes it can be done, read the trap skill and you'll see it. As for detecting it... A person that has trap would be disarming anything they thought was trapped anyways.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I wish the search skill was useful in some way.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Cyrian20"
Quote from: "Marauder Moe"I thought disarming traps was already in the game in at least some sense.  Not having ever done so personally, though, I can't say for sure.

Yes it can be done, read the trap skill and you'll see it. As for detecting it... A person that has trap would be disarming anything they thought was trapped anyways.

Didn't find anything regarding defusing or unarming a trap in the skill_trap helpfile. You sure this is already in place?

And as for how to locate a trap, what of watching in a direction, and if you have a high enough trap skill, you'll be able to spot a door/exit that is trapped by looking in the direction you are watching? As for trapped items, I'm pretty sure the assess command works different depending on what skills your character has. You can see whether a weapon is poisoned with the assess command, for one thing, and not everyone is able to spot that.

As for defusing/disarming, perhaps we could have a 'defuse' command (couldn't be disarm since we already have a skill with that name) that is apart of the trap skill?

I believe that if your trap skill is high enough, just by triggering it, you will trigger it in a way where you don't get blown all to hell.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I believe that if your trap skill is high enough, just by triggering it, you will trigger it in a way where you don't get blown all to hell.

Do you mean triggering with a fuse?  If that is the case, err... I can say a year ago, triggering was not depended on skill level but success of the attempt.  You had to know what you are doing in order to avoid getting blown up.

Quote from: "Help files"The most common usage of this is for creating timed explosive devices...When a fuse is used on a trapped object, the result is a timed delay (relative to the length of the fuse) before the trap is activated....Timed explosives will affect everyone in the general area of the detonation.

And as it says here, if you are triggering a closed box, and successful at that, you would have to get the hell out of there.

It's not the process of trapping that I'm referring to, it's the defusing -after- someone (you or another) has already successfully set the fuse or trap. And it's not the process of trapping an exit/chest, its getting -rid- of the trap.

If a trapper with sufficient skill goes to trigger the trap, and succeeds in their saving grace, then the trap will be disarmed without going off.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I like this idea, there should be some way to disarm it, I agree.

I think only people with trap should be able to have a chance to untrap, similar to steal/plant and palm/slip, as well as the code for detecting poisons.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"If a trapper with sufficient skill goes to trigger the trap, and succeeds in their saving grace, then the trap will be disarmed without going off.

As I understand it, lets say you mean triggering a trapped box, by opening it right?  If you mean that, (as far as I last checked which was nearly a year ago) having a high trap skill does not save you from the triggered trap.  Successful saving throw reduces the damage dealt, but does not negate it.  Nor the skill level.
So untrapping is not in the game yet.  (so far I can tell you about my experience)  Though I do not know if it is changed.

The thing with just walking into a trap and hoping that you succeed in disarming it is, if you set your own trap, would you be able to disarm it every time then? I guess that makes sense, in a way. What about defusing an already fused trap? You would have to wait until it exploded...

I'm pretty sure Ghost knows what he's talking about.