Changing fight parameters...

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, April 20, 2006, 03:29:39 PM

Well, whadya think? Please post about why you vote no.

I like the round and damage change.
1 (6.3%)
I like the first attack change.
1 (6.3%)
I like both of these changes.
2 (12.5%)
I dislike both of these changes.
12 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: April 20, 2006, 03:29:39 PM

I propose that we make the space between each round of fighting twice as long, and that we increase damage by three times. In other words, if you currently have 2 seconds between each time you can attack, make it 6 seconds. Additionally, if you would normally hit for 10 points of damage, it is now thirty points of damage.

This can be done by either individually changing the damage parameters of each weapon, or, slipping in 3 lines into the combat result code that multiplies damamge by three. Obviously, the first solution is the best, but hardest to do.

Make sparring weapon immune to this code. Either give them low damage, as they should have now, or, make them immune to the multiplier.

The reason I propose this is simple and two-fold. 1. In RL, true battle between two foes is over quickly as a general rule. There are more hits that are crippling than these nicks and grazes. 2. We will finally have a better chance of both digesting what is actually happening as players, and also be capable of throwing out emotes that actually relate to the intended time. No more emotes aimed at 45 seconds and 5 rounds ago.

On the heels of that, I propose a pause in the first attack when outdoors. This will reflect the idea that you are not standing close to most people you attack. This lag could be countered by spending enough time in the room with the person. For example, If you just walked west and attacked, this bit below would happen. But if you walked west, spent 30 seconds in the same room as the person, the lag would be halved, and a minute perhaps for no lag.
>l
A Vast Desert NSWE
 Obviously this is a big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big desert.
 The grey man stands here.

>kill man
You close on the grey man.

>
You fail to catch the grey man.

>kill man
You close on the grey man.

>You slash the grey man's head very hard.

What the grey man saw...
>l
A Vast Desert NSWE
 Obviously this is a big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big, big desert.
 The venomous mul stands here.

>nosave off
You will now resist everything.

>
The venomous mul closes on you.

>
The venomous mul fails to catch you.

>nosave on
You will now resist nothing.

>
The venomous mul closes on you.

>
The venomous mul slashs you very hard on the head.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Three times as much damage? Oh geez. There are already monsters out there that can take off 100 hitpoints in a swipe.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I don't care for either suggestion.

I wrote a big long thing on why, but it seemed unncessary.  As Cale mentions, multipliers would allow heavy hitters (bahamet, mekillot, half-giants) to practically one-shot you.  I'd prefer to retain the playability of the present system which allows a more incremental view of the battle so that you can react to health loss more slowly rather than all at once.

I prefer to leave the issue of distance in the hands of the rooms.  If you don't want to be close enough to be engaged, then stay out of the same region as the person chasing/attacking you.  Fleeing is already easy enough for the quick fingered spammers of the game, no need to make it even more difficult for someone to be engaged.

-LoD

How will this affect magickers when those are attacked?
This is the problem with slowing down combat - if we make each round take three or four times as much time, magickers will get a huge boost to their combat prowess.  I'm definitely not against that happening, but this has to be considered.

About increasing the damage, I say no.  Combat is slowed down to allow our characters to turn tail and flee.  Fleeing becomes meaningless when a battle is decided within a couple of rounds.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

As stated above, the damage multiplier would make to much of the game simply too unbalanced. Not only half-giants, silt-horrors, bahamets and meks reak havok but just imagine how nice backstab would be after that. I can't say I wouldn't mind seeing the combat ticks go buy a bit slower though, maybe twice as long or something so there is more time to emote/think out your actions.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

As stated above, playability would suffer.

Anyway, I see where Deaadly 7 is coming from, real life combat is harsh, one serious fight would cripple most people for life, at least scar and possibly lose a limb.

But just because real life is like that do we want our game to be like that?  

One shot kills are realistic, but no fun to lose a char to.  Currently one shot kills are possible, I've had it happen, with any change to make combat more deadly?  I wouldn't go for that.

No, I think it's more playable the way it is. All that is going to do is make less people even bother with combat-based pcs. We're here to have fun people. That does not seem at all fun to me.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

there needs to be some way to be in a room with some one without being at melee.

it's unrealisitc, espescially in large rooms.

the old H&S mud I played with VERY developed code had three ranges:

missle range
pole range
melee range.

if you iniated a magick or arrow attack, you were instantly at missle range.
If you wanted to be at melee, you typed:
advance malik

it would then put you at missle range, and then after a delay: pole range, and then finally at melee range, where you could attack with your steel sword of doom.

obviously, this makes pole weapons worth the weight, and crossbows actually useful.

and also obviously, the current ranged weapon system would need to be altered if something like this was put in, but not too much, I don't think. Maybe just take one room off the range of all weapons to account for the "missle" range in the room your in.

Oh well. Gave it a shot. I'm gone for the next week, so no more cockamamy code and game sugestions until I get back.

Yeah, and err, what makes you think a HG/Mek/Silt/Bahmet Can't one shot you right now?

:lol:
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I reject the change. If such a change is applied, magickers would have a great boost to their abilities. Nothing should make their fleeing easier than it is now. And someone who plays magickers %33 of all the time says it. Please slash us as quick as you do now.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

What LoD said.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

You know, more than the slowing of rounds and increasing of damage is the room size thing. How about this for a suggestion?

If rooms do not already have a coded size, give them one in numbers, and add this size to the difficulty of fleeing. For example, it would be much easier to flee in a city room where the room stood for 10 feet as opposed to an outdoor room where the room could stand for a mile.

If fleeing was harder in those outdoor rooms, maybe we could see raiders not chop someone down upon entering the room and actually roleplay some stuff out.

Here's an example of the numbers. I'm basing this on D&D D20 system, although Armageddon may be more complex. The coders should understand me, however.
Ryan's flee skill = 13
Flee difficulty (standard) = 10
Situational modifier (room size) = 1-20
Apartment room(1) - desert(20)

In the apartment, Ryan could flee if his D20 roll equaled anything above a 1, since the room's size is rated at a 1 difficulty (10+1=11).

In the desert, Ryan could flee if he rolled a perfect 20, since the room's size is rated at a 20 (10+20=30)

But flee should not be depended on how big a fighting room you stand in.  It is breaking up the fight, in theory after all.  And someone who knows how to flee can discern the optimum time to break up the combat and run away.  From my (little) experience with martial arts, waiting for your opponent to make a swing at you, and then right after he misses he will be in stage of recovering his balance and stance.  That is a good time for you to stop fighting and turn tail.  Now, you should not be going to another room for this case, but you are definitely putting a distance between you and your attacker.  So the size of the room should not have an effect on your breaking up the combat at all.
some of my posts are serious stuff